Photograph

"I want to get a good night's sleep before practice tomorrow," Scott complained.

I was half-listening, trailing behind the boys, listening for the police. They didn't know I was doing it, but maybe it was better that way.

For them not to know.

"...in fact, I'm going to make first line," Scott said proudly, making Stiles stop.

"It's good to have a dream, Scotty - even pathetically unrealistic ones," he teased. I smacked the back of his head. "You'll make first line, Sc..."

I trailed off as I realized where we were. The boys looked at me weirdly, their eyes full of confusion.

It was just through those trees.

The place where my parents died, where my siblings had burned to death.

"I- I'll catch up with you guys later," I said suddenly, walking towards the house.

"Sawyer-" "Stiles," Scott murmured, pulling him back. "She'll be fine."

*

It stood in front of me, a ruin.

I took a step forward, closing my eyes - seeing it, before the fire had destroyed it.

I took a deep breath through my nose - the fire had burned out all the scents. I wouldn't be able to distinguish Laura from Cora, or Derek from...

Had I forgotten their scents?

I darted towards the house, pushing the door open. I parted my lips, shifting partially, so my eyes were a bright, golden yellow.

I could taste a couple scents on my tongue - decay, the faint scent of werewolves, and death. I brushed my fingers over the banister, closing my eyes.

"I'm going to get you, Sawyer!" Derek teased, stomping down the stairs after me.

I giggled, squealing when he caught me, spinning me around in the air. "Derek, stop!" I laughed, beating lightly on his shoulders.

"Say I'm the best!" He dropped me onto the ground, tickling me. I laughed, trying to push his hands away.

My breath rasped in my throat as I yelled, "Okay, okay!"

He stopped tickling me, raising an expectant eyebrow. "I'm the best!" I crowed, darting away from his grip.

"Get back here!" Derek laughed, chasing after me.

I rubbed at the tears slowly falling down my cheeks, smiling softly.

These were good stairs.

I slowly put my foot onto the first step, my heart beating too fast. The staircase creaked in protest as I moved quickly up its length, peering down the hallway.

I could see the open door that was Laura's room, and took a tiny step forward.

Before I knew it, I stood in the doorway.

Her room hadn't been too damaged by the flames - but it just made the ache in my chest worse.

There were pictures of Laura and her friends on the dresser, smiling and laughing.

My eyes landed on the family photo - the Hale family.

My mom, Talia, was smiling, her arm around a fifteen-year-old Laura, who looked beautiful, as always. Eleven-year-old Cora was next to her, and then my brother, Derek.

Ten-year-old Sawyer Hale was laughing on my uncle Peter's shoulders, grinning down at Derek, who was smiling at her.

Peter's face wasn't scarred and burned, like it was now. He wasn't stuck inside his mind, unable to answer us.

He was alive, and he looked happy in that photo.

I brushed my fingers over the silver frame, tears pooling in my eyes again.

I stiffened as I heard a howl; a howl that made my throat close up and my eyes burn gold.

It was an Alpha's howl.

And he was signaling to the pack.

•••