Peter

"We'll see you later," Scott promised, helping me out of the car.

I feel my cheeks heat up as I feel his hands on my waist. Shouldn't he be moving them...?

Do I want him to move them...?

He's smiling, dimpling at me, and I can't help but grin back. He looks so cute when he's smiling like that.

"If Melissa can't take y... what did I just walk into?" Stiles' voice interrupted our moment, making Scott drop his hands from my hips, awkwardly rubbing the back of his neck.

I clear my throat, a light blush creeping into my cheeks as I stuff my hands in my pockets.

"I'll- I'll see you guys later," I murmured, starting towards the hospital.

*

"Hey, Sawyer!" Scott's mom called from the desk, smiling.

I grinned, stopping in front of her as she held out the clipboard. "Is he any better?" I asked, scribbling my name on the sign-in sheet.

Ms. McCall shrugged, looking sympathetic. "He's not getting any worse, sweetie," she murmured, squeezing my hand once.

I nodded, biting my lip. "I'm just gonna... go check on him," I mumbled, darting towards my uncle's room.

Peter Hale sat in a wheel chair, facing the window. He didn't acknowledge mess I gently set my backpack on an empty chair, taking a couple steps forward.

"Peter?" I whispered, slowly approaching him. "It's me, Sawyer."

Still nothing.

I sighed. It was useless to hope.

My uncle, Peter Hale, had survived the fire that took the lives of my mother and siblings.

But at a horrifying price.

As I stood in front of him, I could see the scarring the fire had done to his face, marring one side of it.

I gently reached out and touched his cheek, my hand shaking.

He couldn't move - he was stuck inside his own head, in a coma-like trance.

"I miss you," I sighed, sitting on the floor at his feet. "I miss everyone. It's lonely, huh?"

I shook my head, looking up at him. "I feel like you, sometimes. Like I'm stuck inside my own head," I mumbled, closing my eyes shut and resting my head on my uncle's knee.

I heard her breathing at the door, and smelled her perfume. It was Peter's nurse, Jennifer.

I opened my eyes as she stepped closer, smiling. "Hi, Sawyer. It just takes time, dear," she assured me, holding out her hand for me to take.

I let her help me stand and forced a smile, looking into Peter's lifeless eyes.

"Yeah. I just... I-"

I want my family back.

I shook my head, grabbing my backpack and darted from the room.

•••