Oh, Yeah. Bowling. Yay.

"Do you need help picking out something to wear for tonight?"

My head snapped up, my eyes wide. Lydia Martin was sitting in front of me, and she'd turned around to face me.

"Uh..." I looked over at Allison with a bewildered expression, wondering what they were talking about.

Allison gave me an exasperated sigh. "Bowling! We're all going bowling tonight, remember?" She nudged my shoulder with hers.

I pressed my lips into a thin line, closing my eyes. I took a deep breath through my nose, trying to calm myself down.

"Oh, yeah. Bowling. Yay. I totally... I totally forgot about it, guys - I'm sorry," I murmured, sighing. "I've just been... kinda out of it, I guess."

Lydia snorted. "I'll say - your brother in jail for murdering your sister? I'd be kinda out of it, too," she rolled her big green with a scowl.

Allison's eyes were as big as saucers. "Stiles was arrested?" She demanded, looking between me and Lydia.

I didn't say anything, just glared at the strawberry-blonde in front of me.

Lydia scoffed. "No - Sawyer's adopted. Her brother's Derek Hale, he was arrested. Of course, the police let him out because what kind of sick bastard kills his own sister? It was ridiculous," she muttered, rolling her eyes again.

Allison's gaze softened as she looked at me. "You were adopted?" She whispered.

I scratched the back of my neck, nodding. "Uh, yeah. Sorta. Yeah. Been living with Stiles and our dad for six years now," I mumbled. "I- I don't like to talk about it."

She opened her mouth to say something, but Lydia quickly cut her off. "So, do you need help finding an outfit?" She prompted, raising her eyebrows.

I scratched at my neck, my cheeks turning pink. "Um, I was actually just going to wear this," I mumbled, staring at my desk.

Lydia laughed, her green eyes filled with amusement. "Um, how about no?" She shook her head. "I'll drive you home, and I'll see if you have anything suitable. I highly doubt it, but." She shrugged. "It's worth a try."

+

I sat in the passenger seat of Lydia Martin's blue Mazda, wondering how the hell I got in this mess.

"Um, thanks, by the way. For distracting Allison about my family," I added, glancing over at the redhead.

Lydia waved dismissively. "You're not the only one with a screwed up family. Besides, what happens to you and yours is your business, not Allison's, or the school's, or even Stiles's. She really didn't have a right to know."

I chewed on my lip, mulling over her words. "Um. Thank you, anyway."

She gave me a 'hmph', and we didn't say anything for the rest of the ride.

•••