The Hale Fire

"Sawyer, run!" Peter snarled, his golden yellow eyes scanning the fire.

I whimpered, my eyes wide. The house was destroyed, and smelled of smoke. I couldn't get my eyes to turn back, and my nails had elongated into claws.

"Where's Laura?" I took a shaky step back, looking for Laura, or Cora, Derek, my mom - anyone.

Peter screamed in pain as an arrow whizzed by my shoulder, pushing him towards the fire.

And then I ran.

Because if one thing terrified me more than being caught in Cora's room - it was hunters.

*

"Who is she?" I heard a voice whisper, and felt soft, cool fingers on my cheeks.

"Talia Hale's daughter," another, deeper voice murmured. The hand I was gripping squeezed lightly, and I heard a sigh. "She's Stiles' age."

Stiles? What kind of name was that?

I kept my eyes closed, keeping absolutely still.

"There was a fire - only this one and Peter Hale made it out," the second voice informed me.

Peter? Peter was here?

We were the only ones alive?

"She has no home, Melissa, and... and I want to take her in."

Melissa? I didn't know a Melissa, did I?

"Are you sure that's a good idea? Shouldn't her closest relative take her?"

A sigh. "They all burned to death, except for Peter. And they're saying he's in some kind of coma or something." I thought that voice was a man.

"I mean, you didn't see her, Melissa - this girl was terrified. She wouldn't let go of me until we got to the hospital. She's got no one."

Silence. Were they talking about me?

"We'll have to tell Stiles..."

What the heck is a Stiles?!

•••