Chapter Twenty-Two: All Falls Apart

I'm in an unfamiliar place. With unfamiliar smells and sights. Where the hell...?

"Hey, Freddie! I think she's waking up!"

"Is she?!"

I heard running footsteps. It made my head hurt. The fuzzy, distorted voices, the thumping footsteps, the light on in the room I'm in.

God, I must be having a migraine.

"Bloody hell, she looks horrible..."

"She's thinner, don't you think? Like she hasn't been feeding herself."

"Much like yourself, Freddie."

"Shh," I felt a hand on my cheek. "Hazelnut? It- it's Freddie. Are you awake?"

"F-F-mmm..."

Okay. So. No talking abilities yet. Noted.

"Yeah... think she concussed herself."

"I'll get her an ice pack or something."

I forced my eyes to open a little. They were squinty, but I was able to rest my eyes on a face I'd missed for way too long. Fred Weasley.

"Well, hello, sleeping beauty," Fred warmly smiled. "Hit your head pretty hard out there, yeah? George's getting you an ice."

"Mmm," I shook my head gently. "N-no..."

"Hey, don't talk, wake up more first," Fred took my hand and watched as George placed the ice pack on my forehead. I moaned at the relief it brought my aching head.

Both twins chuckled.

"Think that was the right move."

"I believe the many years of mum doing that for us is what we can thank her for."

"I think you're right, Freddie."

Fred's thumb stroked along my hand as he held it. I closed my eyes again and sighed slowly as I attempted to calm my raging nerves.

I need to get out of here. I can already feel myself getting too comfortable.

They were quiet as I woke up more. I was able to open my eyes all of the way and mutter soft, coherent words by then.

"I c-can't stay..."

"Well, you might have to for a bit. At least for today," Fred frowned. "Thought you'd be more excited to see us, love. With you being kidnapped and all."

"You don't understand," I closed my eyes. "I'm- I'm not safe for you. Either of you."

"Why? Care to explain what happened?"

"I can't," I bit my lip. "I can't. I'm supposed to be meeting Draco."

"Draco?"

"That note was a prank. All of this was set up. Rather well put together if I do say so myself."

"What?" I opened my eyes again. "By who?"

"Harry mostly," Fred explained. "Wrote to us last night."

"Explained his whole plan and said you weren't yourself. Figured some time with us is what you needed to help you remember yourself."

"But... you want to leave?"

"Why are you a danger to us, love?"

My head throbbed at their back and forth bantering.

"Please. Slow down, would you?"

"Right, right," Fred sighed, his hand still holding mine. "Harry said you'd gotten with Draco Malfoy while you've been gone. Wanna tell us what that's all about?"