Chapter Twelve: Allies

Eventually Malfoy and I split ways and went to our dormitories. When I entered the Gryffindor one, barefoot and carrying my heels with my hair down out of the ponytail it was in and tearstained eyes and cheeks, Neville looked a bit concerned.

"Hazel? You okay?"

"Yeah. I just had a moment I guess. Talked to a new friend," I waved him off. "I'm okay."

"Harry came in here all huffy puffy," Ron remarked from where he was on the couch. "I didn't even want to ask. Was it you two?"

"No. Yes. Both?" I plopped down on the couch next to him with a heavy sigh. "He's being secretive and he says it's because he wants to protect me? It's infuriating. I hate it when he keeps things from me. Not to mention he keeps ditching me to talk to Dumbledore or Slughorn. He left me at the party to talk to Slughorn. I ended up hanging out with Blaise."

"Zabini?" Ron's eyes widened. "Soft spoke sidekick of Draco's?"

"Yeah. He's actually decent," I rubbed my forehead tiredly. "It's Harry who's being difficult."

"If there's anything we know about Harry it's that he's stubborn. And overprotective," Neville said. "Plus, I'm sure he means well."

Suddenly the door into the common room opened and Seamus, followed by Dean, entered the room. I rolled my eyes at him and stood up from the couch. But he stopped me.

"Hazel, wait. I have something to confront you about," He said in his heavy Irish accent. Curse my attraction to men with accents. I turned around.

"What? What do you want?"

"You really want me to ask here? In front of everyone?" He asked. "About what I just witnessed you doing?"

I grabbed Seamus' arm and yanked him out of the common room and into the hallway. "What the hell?! Were you spying on me?!"

"I was on my way back from the library. I was meeting a rather lovely Ravenclaw girl so she could help me study-"

"On with it, Finnigan."

"Blimey, calm down, Hazel," He scoffed. "I didn't mean to see you but I did and then I saw Malfoy and stopped. You were holding his hand! He was... laying on you!"

"He wasn't laying on me, Seamus," I grumbled. "I was his shoulder. He's going through a hard time right now. God forbid I have a big heart and help people who need it."

"But you've cheated on Harry again! With Malfoy of all people!"

"I didn't cheat on him! I was just holding his hand because he needed it!"

"Holding who's hand?" Ginny came around the corner. "Hazel? Are you cheating on Harry again? Who is it this time?"

"Oh, my god, leave me alone! Both of you!" I stormed away from them and into the dormitory. Then I ran up the stairs and shut the door behind me hard. Hermione looked up from her book. She was lying on her bed reading while gently petting Crookshanks on her lap. "Sorry for ruining your peace, 'Mione."

"I understand," She sat up and slipped a bookmark into her book and set it aside. She noticed the complete mess that is me lying on my bed. On my stomach. With my face on the mattress. "What happened this time?"

"Hermione you can't tell anyone," I sat up. "Seriously. No one. This is a borderline Unbreakable Vow promise, okay?"

"Promise... unless you're in danger," She furrowed her eyebrows in concern. "Is everything okay?"

"I was on my way back from the party. When I found Draco... crying," I watched her face for a reaction. Which I got. She looked even more concerned than before. "So... I kinda... encouraged him to open up and... he did. Way more than I thought he would. He just... completely broke down and told me everything. I promised him I wouldn't tell anyone about what he's going through. So that'll remain a secret. But... but 'Mione he's not... bad. He's a total dick because he has to be. He has to push everyone away because he's... in a dangerous situation. A life or death situation that he can't do anything about."

"Whoah," Hermione scoffed. "You- are you sure we're thinking about the same person? Draco Malfoy... the same guy who's sexually assaulted you twice now? The guy who's bullied you for years?"

"'Mione I wish I could tell you. Because you'd see him differently too. He's just in such a scary situation and he's doing what he has to in order to protect himself and his family and those he... cares about..."

"Wait wait wait," She waved her hands in the air. "So he's pushed everyone away and been a total meathead to people he cares about for their protection?"

"Yes. Exactly," I was relieved she was understanding.

"No, Hazel, do you not see the problem here?" She sat up a little straighter. "Draco cares about you."

"I know. He told me," I sighed. "But... I love Harry. I love him a lot. I won't go any further than friends with Draco."

"Friends," Hermione shook her head. "Hazel I'm just warning you. This isn't a good idea."

"I know. I know it's not but Hermione, he's hurting," I told her. "He's hurting and I want to help."

"Your heart's too big for you sometimes, Hazel," Hermione sighed, but nodded. "But as long as you're careful. I can't say I agree. Because Malfoy... he's always going to be someone I don't like. But I guess if... if he's not hurting you anymore then you helping him is completely your choice."

"Thanks, 'Mione. It's so hard for me to see someone who was so powerful suddenly become so weak and broken. I want to help him out of this, and maybe make friends in the process."

"This is a dangerous game you're playing, Hazel. But I'll keep your secret."