chapter 40

Lacey

A few days later, Xavier was finally released from the hospital that I had grown to hate. The pack celebrated in joy and relief, happy to find out their beloved Alpha was still breathing.

Xavier and I were currently driving back home in our car. My heart raced with anticipation to be back home in our soft, plush bed, and to take a bubble bath and relax after these stressful last two weeks.

Xavier and I sat in a comfortable silence, besides the slight humming coming from his lips. My hands were gripped tightly on the steering wheel, before feeling Xavier's soft yet calloused fingertips trail across my knuckles. He removed just one hand from the steering wheel carefully, then grasped my small hand in his larger, strong one.

Butterflies filled my stomach when he pressed a soft kiss to each of my knuckles, while keeping his hard gaze locked on me.

"I love you so much, beautiful. Always remember that." Xavier huskily mumbled once we pulled into the driveway. I soon felt a small smile creeping upon my cheeks, warmth filling my face at his comment.

"I love you more, always remember that." I giggled back, standing on my tip toes so that I could wrap my arm around his broad shoulders as we walked into the pack house, and into our room. "Not possible." He replied, sending me a wink that made my knees go weak.

I carefully lifted up Xavier's shirt, grimacing when I saw the stitches and cuts that had failed to heal. Since Xavier was a werewolf, wounds heal unusually fast - but in this case, the cuts were so deep that it would take longer than usual. He then shrugged off the rest of the v-neck, and I struggled not to stare at his mouth watering torso for too long. I then started to gently clean the healing cuts with a cotton ball and disinfectant, just like the doctor had instructed me to. I felt even more warmth rush to my cheeks once I realised how intently Xavier was staring at me. I shyly smiled at him, and pressed a small kiss to his dimpled cheek.

"You need a shower, mister." I laughed, scrunching up my nose up at the horrid scent. He smirked at me, and his eyes darkened with lust.

"Only if you join me, kitten." He huskily responded before sitting up. I shivered abruptly when he placed his large, warm hands under my tank top, rubbing a thumb over my hip. My throat went dry at his words, as I wrapped my hands around his neck.

He suddenly stood to his full, towering height before scooping me into his arms. I winced, praying to God I didn't hurt him. "Princess, I don't think someone as tiny as you could hurt me." He chuckled.

I soon felt myself being placed down onto the sleek, white sink of our bathroom. Xavier looked at me, his usual grey-blue eyes now tinted a bit darker. My tank top was swiftly lifted over my head, chills running down my spine when I felt his hands move down my sides. Nothing was sexual - purely intimate.

I noticed that he was staring at my slightly protruding belly, his gaze harder than ever. I reached down, and grabbed one of his hands. I could practically hear his heart thumping against his strong chest when I placed the warm hand on my belly. He then gently began to rub soft, soothing circular motions, instantly relaxing me.

"That's our baby." Xavier mumbled, before pressing multiple kisses to it. I giggled, my heart soaring with pride at the affectionate gestures. We undressed, getting into the shower that *mostly* he needed. But hey, moral support right?

I'm so lucky.

I buried my face into his neck, seeping into the relaxing warmth coming from both Xavier and the shower that was pouring onto us.

"I missed you so much." Xavier murmured truthfully in between kisses left on my neck. I hummed in agreement, rubbing his back in a comforting matter. I laughed slightly when a soft purr vibrated through his chest at the simple gestures.

I then squirted some woodsy smelling shampoo onto my hands, before standing on my tippy toes to reach Xavier's hair. He chuckled before tilting his head down, his hands still firmly planted on my waist. I massaged the product into his hair, earning moans of approval from Xavier. He then returned the favour, gently running his hands through my hair in ways that made my wolf purr.

Once we were dressed, we cuddled up onto the bed. Eventually, Xavier fell asleep with a hand pressed against my tummy, and his head buried into my neck. I was soon lulled to sleep by the rhythmic sound of his beating heart.

Charlotte's POV (right after Xavier woke up)

Pain. There was so much of it.

My heart physically hurt after seeing the love of my life with another woman on his lap, especially after all we've been through. My wolf was silent in the back of my mind, not daring to say anything.

He repeatedly tried to tell me that it "wasn't what it looked like," but it was exactly what it poked like. Was I not good enough for him? Or maybe the woman he was cheating with was more attractive then me. Maybe he got bored of me, or didn't want the baby.

I would never know, I didn't want to know why he cheated on me. I planned on never speaking to him again.

After I left the hospital, I drove back to the pack house. I was going to take all of my belongings, and leave the pack to become a rogue. Nothing mattered to me anymore besides my child, and I don't want her to grow up knowing what happened between me and her father.

I knew that Xavier, Lacey and my family would be heartbroken, and I felt bad for that. But I had no other choice. I couldn't stay here and dwell over the past, I needed to get a move on with my life. I was stronger than this.

I sighed when my phone vibrated for the thousandth time, but chose to ignore it. I refused to talk to my cheating mate. As soon as I reached the pack house, I immediately walked into our room. My heart dropped to my stomach once I noticed that my mates scent was getting stronger and stronger.

"Charlotte?" I heard his familiar, groggy voice croak out. My heart slammed against my chest when I cautiously turned over, masking an exasperated look on my face. He couldn't know that I was upset.

"What do you want?" I snapped, rolling my eyes to add to the effect. My wolf whimpered once we noticed that he had a tear stained face, and his hair was disheveled as if he had ran a hand through it hundreds of times.

Shock filled me when he collapsed onto his knees right in front of me. He grabbed my hips, and buried his face into my stomach. I wanted to push him away, but I couldn't bring myself to do it.

"C-Charlotte, please b-believe me. I swear I didn't cheat on you with Lindsay. She c-crawled onto my lap, I was about to push her off but you walked in before I could. Please, y-you need to b-believe me. I will do anything to prove it to you, I love you so much." He sobbed with sincerity laced in his voice.

He was telling the truth.

I hesitantly ran a hands through his silky hair, and used the other to rub his back. Tears filled my eyes when my shirt started to get wet from my crying mate.

We could've been sitting there embracing for days, but I didn't mind. Everything was okay, and it felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders.

---

YOU GUYS ARE SO CUTE I JUST WANT TO PINCH ALL OF YOUR CHEEKS AND HUG YOU AWE

IM SO THANKFUL FOR EVERY SINGLE READ I GET SO THANK YOU TIMES A MILLION

I

LOVE

YOU

ALL

~Corinne <3