Slipping Through Their Fingers

She coughed and spluttered as she apparated into her living room. It had used up all of her energy and she was sure to collapse any second. The disapparition had disoriented her and she stumbled onto a coffee table, causing several candles to crash onto the floor.

The noise had alerted people in the kitchen and they all rushed to meet the intruder head on. Ast looked up to find four wands pointed right at her face, for a second she thought she had been caught. Only then when she realised who they were she relaxed.

Remus almost didn't recognise her. She was so small and pale. Her hair was matted and blood was clumped to her face and body. Her clothes were ripped and bruises were covering her entirety. She let out an almighty cough, causing blood to spew onto her hands. Remus had never seen Ast look so broken.

Lily was the first to reach her, followed by James. They each brought her up to her feet and asked what had happened. They directed her to a sofa and Sirius gave her a goblet of water. Remus stood in the same place, feeling helpless at the sight of her. He felt guilty, like it had been his fault she was kidnapped. If he had offered to go instead of her; none of this would've happened.

Once Ast had downed the whole goblet of water and taken a few breaths, she opened her mouth to talk. She explained what had happened; from the moment she was kidnapped to when she escaped. Everyone gasped when she described what they had done to her there.

Lily hugged her afterwards, offering to get her anything she needed.

"All I need, Lily," Ast said in a raspy voice. "Is a bath and a good nap."

Lily and James offered to run her bath so they disappeared upstairs. Sirius was sitting next to Ast, his eyes were surveilling every cut and bruise on her face.

With tears in her eyes, Ast turned to him. "I now know how horrible they were, your family."

His face broke as he held her closely to him. He wanted to know why it had to be her. Why didn't he volunteer to go in her place?

"You're home now, sweetheart." Sirius said, cupping her face in his hands.

Lily and James came back down, announcing that her bath was ready. Ast shakily stood up and held onto Remus as support as both of them made their way upstairs. He helped her undress and she sat in the warm water.

Remus inspected her body, there were far more cuts and bruises with her clothes off.

"What did they do to you?" He whispered.

"Horrible things," she breathed.

Remus cleaned her wounds for her while she sat in the bath, gazing at him the whole time. He washed the blood and dirt away from her skin while washing her hair to get rid of its greasiness.

Ast began crying, "I thought you wouldn't come."

Remus stopped washing her hair.

"What?" He asked.

"They were telling me you were never coming."

"I didn't know where to find you. You were gone from the face of the earth. Trust me, I searched everywhere."

"Do you hate me?"

He looked into her eyes in bewilderment. "How could I hate you?"

"Because of what I've put you through. And you could be in danger just because you're with me. And-"

Remus silenced her with a kiss.

"You're home now. You're safe. They won't hurt you as long as we're here to protect you. Now c'mon, you need rest."