Chapter Twenty-Two

Claire had honestly being looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday, relishing in the warmth of Shane's presence. Of course, her boss was a psychotic vampire that needed her help every freaking day off she had. So, she groggily got out of bed, pressing a light kiss to Shane's forehead, as he lay fast asleep in her bed. She wrote him a quick note, telling him that she would be back in ten minutes and not to worry. Then again, her boss was a lunatic, so maybe she should have told Shane to worry.  

Myrnin had told her that it was an emergency that she get to the lab as soon as she could. So, she decided that she was going to piss him off by wearing her pyjamas and using the portal. She had brushed her teeth and hair of course, and used some deodorant.  

She wasn't that comfortable around Myrnin. 

She clutched onto the two ceramic mugs as she focused on Myrnin's lab. She pictured the benches, and the beakers and even the small kitchenette hidden behind cabinets and bookcases. It was way too early for this. 

She stepped through the portal and squinted at the bright decorations. Myrnin had decided to clean up, and he'd added more lights around the place. Myrnin had stuck to the Steampunk theme; there was no one that could ever shake him out of that. Myrnin was rummaging around in his room, and he poked his head out to look at Claire. His head disappeared a few seconds later, and Claire rolled her eyes. She placed one of the coffee mugs on the bench and slumped into a stool.  

"You better not break this mug," Claire warned as she rested her head in her hands. She sighed. "It is way to early to be dealing with this. What do you want, anyway?"  

"Check on Bob," Myrnin said. He sounded distracted.  

Claire groaned and slid off the stool and trudged to the other side of the lab. Bob the Spider sat in an aquarium. He stared at Claire has she approached the tank. 

"Hey Bob," Claire smiled. "What's your freaky father doing?"  

Oh God, that sounded weird. Claire shuddered at the thought of Myrnin being a father. She felt bad about that after a while, realizing that he couldn't have kids of his own. He probably didn't want them any anyway though. All of Bob's eight eyes blinked at her, and Claire pulled a face.  

Claire ran her fingers over a thick book that sat propped up against Bob's tank. She picked it up, the book feeling heavy in her hands. It was a nursery rhyme book, and it had been opened on a specific page.  

"Incy Wincey Spider?" Claire smiled. She admired the water paintings of the little black spider as he stared up at the bright sun. She placed the book back in its fixed space and she lowered herself into a nearby chair.  

She became fixated as she watched the spider spin delicate webs fashioned with intense detail and decorations. Claire raised her eyebrows as Bob sat back on the rock, watching her, as if asking if she liked his web. 

"It's very pretty Bob," Claire said. "You're a little artist." 

"Talking to a spider?" Claire yelped and jumped out of her seat. "I always knew he would drive you crazy." 

"Frank," Claire stammered. She rubbed her arms, suddenly feeling bad for wearing her pyjamas. "You scared me." 

"What are you doing here so early?" Frank looked better. His image was black and white, and apart from the nasty scar across his face, he looked maybe a little attractive. Well, for an older man anyway. He was nothing compared to Shane though. "Has the mutant got you working nights now?" 

"You shouldn't call him that," Claire said wanly. "He's not that bad." 

"'Course he isn't." He said dryly. Frank's image flickered, but stabilized almost immediately. "How's things with my son?"