Chapter Thirty-Four

“It’s stalking,” Michael said as he held his guitar. He had been practising his songs, but his hand had frozen in place when Shane had gathered everyone in the Glass House to discuss Claire’s so called, ‘admirer.’

“Have you not read what he has written on those creepy ass notes?” Shane raised an eyebrow and his head turned in the direction of the front door. “I call it sexual assault.”

Claire sighed and shook her head as she tried to get comfortable on the couch. It was obvious that she would be sitting there for a long while, and she was starting to wonder how long it would take before she could actually leave the house.

“He hasn’t actually touched me, Shane,” Claire picked at her nails and didn’t dare to meet her boyfriend’s eyes. “So, it’s not really sexual assault.”

“Well, actually, it really is sexual assault,” Eve spoke up and placed her hands on her hips as she raised a dramatic eyebrow. Okay, what was up with all the eyebrow raising? “So what? It’s not physical assault, but it’s still verbal and I have eyes that read perfectly fine. Therefore, back to the sexual assault.”

Claire rolled her eyes and folded her arms as she sank back into the couch. She stared out the window and clenched her teeth as she listened to her best friends debate and argue about something that wasn’t a big deal at all.

“Okay, idea,” Shane said suddenly and raised his hand to prove his point. “We find him, beat his ass and then deliver it in a silver dish to the first blood-sucker we see on the street. Not counting Michael.”

“That’s your idea?” Eve asked as she tied her thick, dark hair into a ponytail.

Shane pouted and nodded. “Yeah. Pretty much.”

“Nice,” Eve grinned and held her hand up for a high-five, to which Shane slapped.

“We’re not beating him up,” Michael sighed and finally placed his guitar back into its case.

“Why?” Eve frowned. “I can find his address, and then we can get these awesome weapons and teach him not to mess with our Claire Bear.”

“Good plan,” Shane nodded and gestured to both him and Eve.

“Bad plan,” Michael said. “Worst possible scenario is Shane ends up hurting him real bad or worse, killing him and your ass goes downtown to jail. Eve, well. You might break a nail.”

“Bite me!” Eve shot back.

“That’s the whole point,” Shane said, ignoring Eve and the last of Michael’s sentence. “He’s supposed to be hurt real bad.”

“Did you hear that part about you going to jail?” Claire said softly, and yet everyone’s eyes moved to her like she was in the spotlight. “Again.”

“Hey!” Shane exclaimed as he defended himself. “That was the fault of the bloodsuckers, not mine!”

“You’re not kicking anybody’s ass,” Michael stated. “End of discussion.”

Shane sighed and slumped into the spare spot next to Claire. Her side of the cushion rose, and she smiled a little as Shane winked at her.  “So lame,” Shane sighed. “I haven’t kicked anybody’s ass for ages. I need my dose of ass kick!”

“Is ass the only word in your vocabulary?” Michael frowned.

“Don’t get smart with me,” Shane raised an eyebrow. “Blood-sucking ass.”

“Seriously, dude,” Eve said. “You’re obsession with the word ass makes you sound gay. And you can’t be gay, for Claire’s sake.”

Shane looked at Claire and sighed as he stared at the rise of Claire’s chest. Before she realized what Shane was doing, he waggled his eyebrows at her and winked.