Chapter Twelve

It was halfway through the movie when Claire's stomach rumbled and she decided to make a quick trip to the kitchen. She stood, staring into the buzzing refrigerator staring at nothing, until she heard a thump come from outside. She closed the fridge door, and made her way to the back door. She unlocked the door, and peered out the fly-screen mesh.

"Miranda?" Claire said, opening the door and stepping out. The air was warm outside, and she could hear crickets chirping happily somewhere in the backyard. "I haven't seen you for ages." Miranda was small and young. Her hair was raven black, and she must have put a pink highlight in it when she was in human form. She'd changed her clothes too. She wore black tights and a dark purple shirt with a skull printed on it. She'd also gone for some of Eve's black eyeliner. She looked good. Miranda sat down on one of the steps and Claire joined her.

"I've been out," Miranda said. "It's amazing the things you see when you're a ghost."

"What do you mean you've been out? You left the house?"

Miranda nodded, "Yeah. It's easy, I just can't turn into flesh and bones at night."

"How can you do that though? Michael couldn't leave the house, he'd turn to mist."

Miranda shrugged, "I don't know. Maybe it's the same reason as why the house saved me?"

Claire thought for a few moments, "Because you are psychic?"

"Was," Miranda corrected. She looked out to an old tree. It was the tree that was just outside Claire's window. "I was psychic."

"Oh," Claire took in a breath of fresh air. "So, how have you been, Mir?" She smiled a little and turned to look at Claire.

"Don't get mad at me, okay?" Oh God. "But I overheard Shane and Eve talking the other day."

"You mean you eavesdropped on them?"

Miranda blushed, "Yeah.."

"It's okay Mir. What did you want to tell me?"

"They said that your birthday was coming up soon."

"Oh yeah. Friday."

Miranda's eyes went wide, "This Friday?"

Claire nodded, "Yeah, this Friday."

Miranda stood up and faced Claire, "But that's in four days!"

"I know, Mir."

"And it's your eighteenth. Are you not doing anything special?"

"Hate to break it to you Miranda, but there isn't much to do in Morganville." Miranda blushed and sat back down. She'd obviously thought of something that embarrassed her.

"Well, if you were a guy I would know a couple of places to go."

Claire laughed, "Where have you been all this time Miranda? It's different not seeing you around."

"I don't know.. I just feel like.. I'm intruding."

"Intruding? Mir, you're family now."

She smiled, "I know that, and it's great to finally have a family of my own. But sometimes, I don't want to change back. Sometimes it's nice to just, float. A lot happens in Morganville, and being a ghost, I see a lot too."

"Are you sure you should be leaving the house, though? It could be dangerous."

"Hey, I'm fine. I've being doing it for at least a month now, and I'm fine." Miranda's face went still then, and she stared at Claire. Her face went very pale, even for a ghost.

"Miranda?" Claire gently touched the girls' arm. "Are you okay?"

"Someone's coming," Miranda stood up fast. "Go back inside Claire. I'll see you later."

"Wait! Miranda!" But it was too late. The girl had faded away into the darkness, and Claire stared out to the backyard. Claire stood and made her way up the few steps, looking behind her every step she took to make sure nothing decided to creep up on her. But then she heard something. A creak on the wooden steps. The voice was cold, yet it somehow contained just a touch of kindness to it. Her voice caused shivers to run up Claire's spine. She'd heard that voice so many times, but now, hearing her in person after so long.. It was frightening. The Founder's voice coiled itself Claire's mind.

"Hello Claire."

* * *

Claire stopped and turned around slowly to face the Founder. Amelie looked like a Queen, dressed in white and pastel blue. Her platinum gold hair was let down, and it seemed to float gracefully in the small breeze. Standing out in the dark, were two of Amelie's bodyguards. Of course. She never went anywhere without them. A man stood among the two body guards, and Claire thought that it was Oliver first, but it turned out that he was just another vampire Claire had yet to meet.

"Amelie?" Claire asked, taking a large step back.

"Speak to the Founder with respect!" The other vampire spat. Amelie held her hand up to silence him.

"That is not necessary, Gavel. Claire is a dear friend of mine." Amelie's voice was even, and almost kind.

"How are you?" Claire asked taking small steps back. "I mean.. After, well you know."

"Like it never happened," Amelie smiled, a delicate, beautiful turn of her lips that seemed almost human. "But, it is you that I am concerned about."

"What do you mean? What have I done?"

"You are very valuable to me Claire, and I know that Myrnin told you something you weren't supposed to know."

"Myrnin's unstable," Claire frowned. "It's hard to trust him these days."

"Ah, yes. I heard about his little... Accident, as he puts it." Amelie's hands were clasped in front of her, and she remained elegant and poised.

"I wouldn't really call it an accident. Is that why you're here? Because Myrnin bit me?"

Amelie shook her head, and sighed. "As you know, Naomi is still very much alive and is taking refuge somewhere in Morganville."

Claire nodded and swallowed, "Frank can't find her. I've asked."

"She is a threat, Claire. She can cause harm to many people, and I would see it as my responsibility if she should get to you."

"I can look after myself." Claire took another step back.

"I can't risk that." She gestured for the vampire - Gavel - with her swift flick of her hand. She saw him disappear, and Claire stumbled back into the house. "It won't be forever Claire."

"What about Shane? And Michael and Eve?" Claire exclaimed, looking around for Gavel. Amelie moved closer, and Claire flinched.

"You are my main concern," Amelie smiled.

"Amelie, please don't. I promise, I can look after myself."

A slight crease formed between Amelie's eyebrows, "Claire, this is not permanent. You will see your friends again." She turned. "If anything, you should thank me for keeping you safe. Come, Gavel. Grab our friend, and let us go."

"No!" Claire yelled and tried slamming the door shut. Gavel appeared at the door. He had dark hair and green eyes. And very sharp fangs. The vampire grabbed her, and pulled her out. "Shane!" Claire screamed, but the vampire pressed a hard hand to her mouth, and then the Glass House was gone. Replaced by a blur of visions.

And Claire was dragged away, being sent to her imprisonment.