Chapter Thirty-Five

“Books?”

“Check.”

“Pens and paper?”

“Check and check.”

“Lunch money, phone and crayons?”

“Check, check and I haven’t used crayons since third grade.”

“Okay, okay, cut down on the attitude. Taser and ass-kicking pack?”

Claire rolled her eyes and sighed as she turned to face Shane.
“I don’t think I’ll need the last two, Shane.”

“Too bad,” Shane said as he opened Claire’s bag pack and slid in Eve’s bedazzled taser along with stakes and other small weapons. He handed it to Claire with a large grin. “Have fun at school.”

“You’re an ass,” Claire sneered. “You know that, right?”

“It’s my specialty,” Shane smiled and bent down to kiss her. He sighed, and it seemed to pass through Claire’s entire body. “Why can’t you just stay here?”

“Because I refuse to be held captive in my house by my boyfriend.”

“I could make it fun?” Shane offered. “It would be the very first kidnapping that the victim wouldn’t want to run away from.”

“I’m going, Shane,” Claire said and adjusted her bag on her shoulders. “I’ll be fine. If anything goes wrong, I’ll have a bagful of weapons you so kindly gave me.”

“Michael will kill me for this, you know?”

“Michael will never know,” Claire turned to slide on her shoes. Shane fiddled with the game control as he watched Claire.

“I shouldn’t let you go,” Shane said with a sigh as he placed the controller on the space on the couch beside him. “I should throw you in your room and lock you in.”

“I’ll climb out the window,” Claire grinned evilly. “I told you, I’m done playing the prisoner. The only reason I came to Morganville in the first place was to go to TPU, and I’m going whether you like it or not.”

“You know,” Shane said slyly as he sunk onto the couch. “I was thinking about going back to school. Since I had to take off before graduating. Think TPU will take me in?”

“You’re not coming with me,” Claire said as she sat down next to Shane, wrapping her arms around his neck. His hands grasped onto her hips, and he pulled her closer. He sighed and gently placed a quick kiss on her lips, followed by shorter ones after that.

“It’s the least you could do after slapping me,” He tried for the puppy dog eyes, and Claire almost gave into the pool of golden-brown beauty.

“You brought that on yourself,” Claire bit her bottom lip, and Shane pushed a few strands of hair away from her face.

“I kind of liked it,” Shane said huskily and cunningly, meaning he was up to no good. “Kinky Claire.”

Claire blushed bright red, and she was almost certain that her cheeks were the colour of a tomato. Shane lost himself and started to burst out in uncontrollable laughs as Claire slapped him across the chest and scooted away.