Chapter Eighteen

Claire wasn't going to lie, she sucked at video games.

Plus, killing things wasn't what she liked to do in her spare time. But to be honest, she did have a pretty good time. Her and Shane had sat on the couch together playing his games for over an hour, and she'd gotten to know him. She'd been hoping that maybe that would help her remember, but it didn't. She left after her hundredth death, and went upstairs to use the bathroom.

But she heard something move in her room. Claire halted, and looked over her shoulder at her half closed door. Slowly, she took a few steps back and peered into her bedroom.

A cold hand went over her lips, and she was pulled into the bedroom. The door shut behind her.

"Don't scream," It was a males voice. A pretty good looking guy too. Claire nodded, and the hand moved from her lips. This man was older than Shane, maybe in his twenties? He had dark, wavy hair that just reached his shoulders and dark brown eyes. Claire swallowed and took a step away from him.

"Who are you?" Her voice faltered, and she considered screaming.

The mans eyebrow rose and he folded his arms. "You didn't bump your head that hard, Claire. I was with you when you fell."

"You were with me?" Claire took a step closer. "What happened?"

The man looked her up and down. "You know what happened. We were being chased."

"Chased? Shane said that I was attacked in my bedroom?"

He frowned. "Attacked? By who?"

Claire shrugged. "I don't know, I thought you said you were with me."

"I was thinking about another time obviously."

They were surrounded in silence for a few moments before Claire narrowed her eyes at him. "I'm sorry. Who are you again?"

"You were serious?"

Claire nodded and looked down. "Temporary memory loss. They said my memories would come back in a week."

"How did this happen?"

"I'm don't know, I mean, I can't remember. No one wants to tell me anything. Shane said that a woman attacked me in my room."

"A woman?" The mans eyes went dark. "Naomi."

"Who's Naomi? Is she the one that has a thing against the Founder?"

"Do you know who the Founder is?"

Claire shook her head. "No idea. I don't know anyone in Morganville." Well, maybe that was a little lie. She knew a few people. "At first I thought that it was Monica."

"Ah, the Morrell girl. She pushed you down the stairs and almost had you killed, yes?"

Claire went pale. "She tried to kill me?"

"Oops. I thought you knew."

She shook her head, almost frantically. "No. I don't know."

The man sighed and reached out to her. "Who did this? Was it Shane?"

Claire pushed his hand away. "Shane? Why would he hit me?" Claire paused. "Wait, does he hit me?"

He shook his head. "It's not you he hits. The boy has some anger issues, I honestly do not understand why you would want to be with him."

Claire remained quiet for a few seconds. "I do." The man looked a little hurt, but he shook it off. "Who are you?"

"My dear girl, I am your boss. Myrnin."