Chapter Ten

Myrnin's shoulders shook as he fed, as if he was having a small trauma.

Claire's blood ran down her neck and dripped from her fingers. The crimson liquid soaked into her shirt, even Myrnin's clothes were soaked with blood. She'd been bitten more than once by Myrnin, and he always seemed to bite her in the exact same spot. Myrnin's hands dug into her back as he drank from her, with no intentions on stopping. Claire felt her knees buckle, and the only thing holding her up was her attacker. She trusted Myrnin. Or well, she had trusted him. Claire whimpered and tried pushing away, but Myrnin growled and bit deeper.

Her eyes shut tight, and tears escaped from her eyes. She must have made some sort of sound, because Myrnin went still. That was all Claire needed. She brought her knee up, and landed a hard blow in his stomach. Myrnin shouted out,  causing his teeth to rip out of her skin and leave a messy wound. Claire pushed him away, and stumbled backwards. She picked up the closest thing in her reach - a beaker - and threw it at him. The beaker was empty, but it smashed into Myrnin's chest and caused an eruption of glass to shatter where he stood. He looked up at her, a mourning shadow in his eyes. He started walking towards her, arms stretched.

"Claire," He began. "Please-"

Claire grabbed the remains of her broken coffee cup and through that at him. He dodged it without effort. She stumbled, and felt her knees fall from under her body. She smacked into the wall, her head causing a loud boom to echo throughout the room. Her vision turned black, and she panicked. Cold hands gently took hold of her arms.

Claire screamed.

It was a loud and ear-splitting scream, and she batted at Myrnin's hands. She blinked back hot tears and gritted her teeth, sobbing uncontrollably now. She scooted away from the vampire, screaming at him.

"Let me help!" Myrnin yelled at her, which was probably not the best thing to do. Claire replied in a full out scream.

"I don't need your help! I hate you, I hate you!" Her throat felt bloody from her screaming, but then again, it felt like Myrnin's teeth had bitten right through her flesh. Myrnin hesitated for a while, before he decided he wasn't going to give up. Claire kicked him hard in the face, making Myrnin howl in pain. She stumbled to her feet, and made a run for the steps.

"Claire!" She heard Myrnin call. He didn't sound angry at all. Scared, maybe. Scared and sorry. "Wait."

Claire's feet pounded hard against the solid cement of the alley. She risked a quick glance at Myrnin's shack, before she sprinted away. The darkness of the alley started to fade away as rays of sun hit her face. Claire breathed out, and stumbled. She looked behind her again, and saw Myrnin barging out of his shack. She put a hand to her bleeding neck and ran as fast as she could.

Running through the streets of Morganville with a bleeding neck is not a good thing to do, so Claire came to a stop just outside of a park.

Not many people paid any attention to her, and Claire slumped to a sitting position against the tree. She felt out of breath and her heart beat so hard it hurt. She moved her hand away from her neck. Her entire hand was covered in wet, sticky blood. It still poured freely from the wound in her neck, like water from a waterfall. She put her hand back against her neck and rested her head back on the tree. Her head hurt insanely bad, and for a few seconds, Claire couldn't think of why. She'd banged her head really hard against the wall back at Myrnin's lab, that was why. Claire stared out in front of her, deciding that she couldn't go any further. Of course, staying where she was probably wasn't a good idea either. With her free hand, she reached into her pocket.

"No," Claire whispered and checked all of her pockets. She'd left her mobile at home when Amelie had called her, and now she had no chance of calling for help. She stared in front of her, concentrating on the Glass House. A portal opened, and Claire felt herself smile. She used the tree for support as she pulled herself up, and made her way to the portal. She tripped.