Chapter Twenty-One

SHANE’S POINT OF VIEW

How the hell had this gotten so screwed up?

“Claire!” I shouted again for the hundredth time. My throat was getting sore from all the yelling, and I would probably lose my voice tomorrow.

But that didn’t matter; all that mattered was finding Claire. I got a lot of odd looks from my neighbours as I ran down the streets of Morganville shouting at the top of my lungs. It surprised me that they found it odd for me to be yelling. Most of them made formal complaints to the cops about my “loud” music and me.

Weirdoes.

I pulled out my phone and dialled Eve’s cell. She answered on the fourth ring, and she didn’t sound pleased to hear me.

“What do you want, Chilli Boy?”

“Why didn’t you tell me?” I panted, struggling to catch my breath. Eve was quiet for a few seconds before she sniffed and replied. Her voice trembled when she first spoke, as if she were on the verge of tears.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about? Tell you about what?”

“Don’t do that; don’t play dumb. I am standing out in the middle of the street in Morganville, which is pretty stupid, even for me. Want to know what I’m doing? I’m looking for Claire, because she’s left the damn town.”

“She told us not to tell you. She wanted to tell you herself.”

“Yeah, I get that. But you let her leave? Why the hell would you do that?”

“She wasn’t supposed to be leaving until the weekend!”

“Well, she’s gone Eve. She’s probably already halfway down the highway by now.”

“Shane – I am so sorry –“

“Sorry isn’t going to bring Claire back, Eve. Damn it.”

“Shane, just calm down. No need to go kicking out fangs.”

“Speaking of fangs, where’s Michael? Why the hell didn’t he tell me this?”

“Shane, I told you. Claire told us –“

“Yeah, I know what she told you. Whatever.” I hung up and sighed, running a hand through my hand. I turned and started walking back home after trying Claire’s mobile for the last time. “Shit.” I swore and kicked an old beer bottle. Claire was gone. She was really gone.

* * *

The whole house was quiet, and if it wasn’t for the occasional chirp of birds outside, it could have been dead silent. I picked up my game control and fiddled with it, deciding if I was going to play a game. In the end, I didn’t feel up for it and trudged up the stairs.

Just as I pushed open my bedroom door, I was attacked. Well, I wouldn’t really call it attacked.

“Hey!” I protested as I was pushed against the wall. “What are you –“ I stopped talking when warm lips pressed against mine. She tasted of strawberry, and smelt like lavender.

Whoa, Shane. What are you doing?

I pulled back, and took a couple steps back. I took too many steps, and crashed into the door.

“Ow, shit.” I stared at the girl that stood in front of me.

“Shane, I am so sorry. I am so, so sorry.”

“Claire?” I pulled her into a hug, and I felt her sigh in relief. Her body shook as she tried holding back her tears. “I thought you left. What are you doing here?”