Chapter Fifteen

Claire sped up when she saw the double doors that led out of Morganville City Hall.

Maybe it had only been one night, but it seemed like a lifetime to Claire.

Almost there, she pushed open the doors and the cool, night air blew onto her face. She took a step out of the building. She bumped into someone.

"Oh for the love of God," Claire spat. "Get out of my way Myrnin!"

"I'm not here to stop you," He said, stepping aside. "I'm simply going to drive you home."

Claire laughed, "Yeah, no. There is no way that you're driving me home. Your driving will kill me. I'm walking."

"So, I shall walk with you then."

"Myrnin -"

"Claire, don't be a fool. You know what the consequences of walking around at night are."

She sighed, "Fine."

"You're not changing you clothes?" Myrnin asked, as he walked besides Claire.

She looked down at herself. She was still wearing pyjama bottoms and Shane's shirt. She'd given back Amelie's coat of course, and the wind caused small goosebumps on her legs and arms.

"No," Claire said, trying to walk a little faster. It didn't do much. Myrnin took one long stride and he was next to Claire again. "I didn't have time to pack anything, remember?" He cast a quick side glance at her, and then slid off his duster. He handed it to her, revealing the pirate shirt she had seen him wearing earlier. Claire put it on, pulling it around her thin body. It shielded her from the cold air, and she could smell Myrnin's scent. Surprisingly, it didn't smell bad. It must have been some sort of aftershave or cologne she smelt. "Thanks." A heavy silence fell over them for a few more minutes, before Claire finally sighed. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" Myrnin didn't look at her, he kept his eyes on the dark street in front of him.

"For yelling at you. And for saying those things I said. I should have trusted you."

A crazy smile crossed Myrnin's lips. His head turned to Claire and he watched her.

"You shouldn't trust me, Claire. Not completely." She smiled along with him, and shook her head. "Does this mean I'm forgiven?"

Claire took in a deep breath, "I understand that it wasn't your fault. But Shane will probably want to kick your ass."

"Ah, young Shane. Such a stubborn boy. Much like you, Claire."

"Yeah, but Shane actually gets what he wants. I end up getting my ass kicked, or pushed down the stairs."

Myrnin glanced at her again. It was obvious that he couldn't remember what she was talking about, but he was trying. "The Morrell girl? That is who you are referring to?" He said finally. Claire nodded. She hadn't seen Monica for a while, actually. But apparently, Myrnin had. "I saw her not long ago at one of the clubs."

"What were you doing at a night club, Myrnin?" Claire felt weird just thinking about Myrnin partying. She wasn't used to her crazy, vampire boss getting out on the town.

"Well, I've got to eat Claire. Besides, sometimes Bob wants insects other than flies."

"Bob? Bob the spider?"

"Of course. Bob is very like me you know? He is a very fussy eater."

"Wait, Bob's still alive?"

Myrnin stared at her with wide eyes. "Of course he's alive, Claire. He takes after you."

Claire shook her head, "Of course he does."