Chapter Twenty-Three

Claire sat at the dinner table, slowly and calmly eating her honey puffs. She chewed delicately on the cereal without looking up at Eve’s puppy dog eyes. Claire sighed and rested her spoon against the bowl and she looked up at Eve.

“Eve. Can I help you with something?”

Eve’s smile grew even wider. “I totally know what you can wear to the party.”

Claire rolled her eyes and picked up her spoon. “What?”

“That dress I bought you for you birthday.”

“You bought me a lot of dresses, Eve.”

“Yeah, but the one with the tight corset thingy and the puffy skirt.”

Claire raised her eyebrows and swallowed a mouthful of cereal and milk. She licked her lips. “The black one? With the red ribbon?”

“Yes!” Eve clapped her hands excitedly. “That one.”

“It’s just a party. I don’t get why you’re so excited.”

“Come on, C.B. It’s a party! It’s like you don’t even know me at all.” Claire shrugged and rolled her eyes again as she listened to Eve chatter. “Frat guys normally throw wicked parties too.”

Claire scoffed. “Yeah. Remember the Dead Girls Dance a couple years ago? Wow, wasn’t that fun?”

Eve winced and drummed her nails on the table as she bit her bottom lip and watched Claire eat her breakfast. She took in a breath, as if she was about to say something, but she didn’t.

Eve said softly, “I bet Shane would like that dress.”

Claire paused and hesitated a few seconds, before she let out a large, defeated sigh and picked her bowl up to place it in the sink. “Okay, fine. I’ll wear the dress, happy?”

Eve squealed and jumped out of the chair. She hadn’t had a real purpose to be sitting there. Eve had mostly wanted to irritate enough Claire until she agreed to wear the dress. It was a tight dress that Claire wasn’t normally comfortable wearing, but Eve knew what she was doing, and the dress looked awesome on Claire. Somehow, Eve knew it would before she’d even seen Claire wear it.

“Claire Bear, you are going to look so hot.” Eve’s eyes went wide. “I can do your hair, and your makeup.”

Claire smiled, but as soon as she turned her back to Eve, she rolled her eyes. She glanced down at her watch, and she almost yelped. “I’m late for school,” Claire sighed and reached for her bag that sat on one of the chairs. “I’ll see you later, okay?”

Eve frowned, and looked generally confused. “School? I thought this was your day off from everything?”

“It was. I need to make up an exam though.”

“No,” Eve looked worried. “But, the party? I need to glamour you up and –“

“I’ll be home before three. That gives us at least three hours to get ready. Is that okay?”

Eve sighed but she nodded her head, causing her black ponytails to bounce. Claire blew Eve an air kiss, and turned to head out the kitchen door, but she bumped onto someone hard.

“Where are you going?” Shane asked, fresh from the shower. His hair still had beads of water dripping down, as if he hadn’t bothered to wash his hair properly.

“School,” Claire smiled and stepped around him. Shane took one large step, and he was already at her side.

“What, you can’t be serious? You’re not going, Claire.”