Chapter Twenty-Five

“For the last time, you do not need that much milk to make scrambled eggs.” Claire sighed as she sipped from her coffee and moved from her spot next to Michael. With a hand on her hip, Eve turned around and pointed a wooden spoon at Claire.

“I don’t appreciate your tone, Claire Danvers,” She said through narrowed eyes. “I did not raise you to act this way.” Claire heard Michael hold back a suppressed laugh, as he covered his mouth with his hand and looked down at the newspaper. He cleared his throat and pretended that he was extremely interested in a used car ad. It was obvious to Claire then that Michael wouldn’t be backing her up. Then again, Eve was really intimidating at times, so she couldn’t really blame Michael. Eve turned back around to face the stove and pushed the milk away. Claire and Michael exchanged glances and tried to hold back their laughter. A small giggle escaped from Claire’s lips, causing Eve to spin back around to glare at her. “That is it! To your room, right now. You’ll be lucky if I decide to let you eat. Go on, scat!”

Laughing, Claire pushed her chair out and stood up. She looked to Michael and smiled, then she made her way out of the kitchen. As she ascended the steps, she considered actually going to her room to study, but that was before she came across Shane’s slightly open door. Claire peeked through the small gap and slowly pushed open Shane’s bedroom door. Shane was lounging on his back on his bed, with his head basically touching the floor. He read from one of Claire’s notebooks, practically half naked. Claire raised her eyebrows and quietly walked towards him, bearing in mind that he didn’t know she’d come in yet. Slowly, she sat herself down in front of him and the notebook and watched him as he silently read her notes. It was the notebook she used to take notes on when she was working with Myrnin. The book shook a little, and Shane raised it so he could change the page.

“Shit!” He exclaimed when he saw Claire. He immediately sat up and rolled off the bed, hiding the book behind his back. Claire laughed and pushed herself off the floor.

“Studying for something?” Claire smiled as she nodded at the book behind his back.

“Oh.” Shane put the book on the nearby dresser and shrugged. He scratched the back of his head.

“Just a little light reading.”

“You can read?” Claire mocked.

“Ha Ha.” Shane took hold of her hands and smiled at her. “I was just curious, that’s all.” She smiled and stood on her tiptoes to lightly kiss him on the lips.

“You should be resting,” Claire stated as she hugged him. The top of her head barely brushed his chin. “Not hanging off your bed like an ape.” His breath was warm, and it stirred the hairs on her head.

“I’m fine. Not even a bruise.”

“You were knocked around by a vampire, and were flung into a wall at least two times.” Claire felt Shane shrug, and he wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled Claire closer to him.

“In my defence, I was resting. Just in an awesome, and more fun way.” Claire rolled her eyes and kissed his bare chest. Shane tilted her head up and moved his head towards hers.

“Yo, Little Miss Attitude,” Eve’s voice called to her, causing Shane and Claire to jump. “Your breakfast is ready, and tell Collins if he wants some he better get his ass down here now.” A growl escaped from deep down in Shane’s throat as he slowly backed off and released Claire from his hold. Just as he opened his mouth to speak, Claire jumped in and bet him to it.

“Always ruining sexy-time,” Claire mimicked Shane and took a step towards the bedroom door. Shane raised a sceptical eyebrow.

“Are you mocking me?” He asked as he started following Claire.