The Family Disease [BrennanTaulbee] {AncientWaters}

I listened to the quiet darkness, Brennan's quiet breathing and slight snoring the only sound. I looked down at him, his calm eyes closed and his dark hair sticking up in several places. He had his hand on his chest and his other hand on my hip.

He looked so peaceful when he was sleeping. He didn't usually look so peaceful, especially now. It was getting close to his birthday, and to him, it was just another year of torture.

He hadn't had anything. He'd been shot down by the ones that were supposed to always be there. His parents. But they were gone. Not physically, but emotionally. Mentally. He'd had no one.

It broke my heart, but I couldn't talk to him about it. Denny had been the one to tell me, and he'd made me swear not to tell. And I'd agreed, I mean, I knew Brennan hated anyone getting into his mind or asking him questions.

So I didn't ask him. I didn't want to tear that thin ribbon he kept wrapped around his heart in an attempt to keep himself from getting broken again. He was fragile, so I had to be careful with everything I said.

I smiled at his sleeping figure. I loved him so much, despite his hiding away from everyone and everything, his awkwardness, and his mistrust of everything. And he loved me. I knew he did, although he never seemed to act on it.

He moved slightly in his sleep, pulling me tighter against his chest. I smiled, seeing this as an opportunity to kiss him softly while he slept. It probably wasn't a good idea, considering he was a light sleeper, but oh well.

I was a little shocked when he reacted, keeping his mouth on mine for a moment, but regardless smiled and kissed back.

"Why are you still awake, Mel?" he asked, his voice slurring with sleep. I smiled. He sounded so cute like this.

I shrugged. "I can't sleep." I answered, and he slightly smirked at me.

"Is my beautiful body keeping you awake?" he asked, wiggling his eyebrows suggestively. I rolled my green eyes, slightly blushing.

"Uh, no, Taulbee. You wish." I shot back with a smirk, and he smiled with a chuckle, pushing some blonde hair from my face.

"Actually, Brennan. I need to talk to you." I said with a sigh. He nodded, raising an eyebrow.

He sat up, looking at me. I sighed. This was going to be really hard for me to talk about, and he knew that, I hoped.

"Um... About your birthday..." I began, but he cut me off with a heavy sigh and a groan.

"Mel... I don't want to talk about this... You know I hate having birthday parties... Anything to do with having an official birthday I don't want..." he said with a sigh, covering his eyes with his hands.

I sighed back. "Brennan, I know... But... I just want you to be happy... I just want you to have fun on your birthday... Please... Just... Denny and I-" I began, but once again was cut off.

This time his voice was darker and deeper, his tone harsh.

"You and Denny need to stay out of it, okay?! It's not your birthday, it's not your problem. You don't know why I hate birthdays, and it isn't important." he spat, climbing from our bed.

We never fought. Sometimes I had to push for him to talk to me, but it was usually worth it. Now I wasn't so sure.

I sighed, deciding I'd just go back to sleep, and I did, but only after a while.

****

The next morning, when I woke up, Brennan wasn't there. I wasn't surprised. He got like this a lot.