Give the Devil His Due

Eric stepped out of his SUV and stood outside. He gazed at the car crash, stunned. At a distance, he could feel the heat of the fire from the wreck. As the orange and red hues from the fire blinded him, Buzz in his ears started. He furrowed his eyebrows as pain shot through his head. He closed his eyes, hard. Eyebrows met into a crease. His hands clenched onto the car door as the sight brought him right back to a memory.

"Eric..." Like a hush of the wind swirling through his ears, the voice called him. He clutched his head as the voice echoed louder and louder, until it turned to a shout, the shout that had haunted him ever since it happened, "ERIC!!!"

"Eric," Lexie uttered, seeing him standing outside and staring at the crashed minivan.

The voices faded as he heard Lexie's voice. Eric moved his head, shaking himself out of his stupor. He then looked at Lexie. Eric glanced back at the crash. His mouth slackened and eyes widened, seeing an upturned minivan and instead of the burning car he saw earlier. - Was that just an imagination?

He shook his head again, before going towards the trunk, "Grey, call 911," He uttered in a flat tone.

"On it," Lexie said, putting the phone on her ear. Lexie looked at Eric with concern as he searched for the first aid kit. Lexie noticed a change through his expression and action - losing his usual cool poise. His eyebrows were knitted together, exhaling deeply, and shoulders loosed.

Eric finally saw the first aid bag. He picked it out of the trunk before rushing towards the crash. Lexie followed him as she continued the call.

"Y-yes, I would like to report a car accident... We're at Queen Anne Ave and Mercer... just one... overturned minivan..."

Eric went at the driver's side and kneeled down, straining his neck, peeking inside. There was shattered glass everywhere. Two persons were in front. Eric couldn't see at the back. - It was dark. Eric concentrated on the driver first, seeing he's severely wounded. A metal pole impaled him on the chair, right through his abdomen. His head was wounded. As Eric glanced at the lesion, he noticed the bleeding through the driver's chest. Eric placed his hands on the chest to stop the bleeding. He checked the man's pulse with his free hand.

"Sir?" Eric tried to wake up the driver as he checked his pulse - weak, but it's there. Eric looked at the wound on the driver's head, still keeping his hands on the chest wound. The man jolted up and grunted in pain, cringing as he gained consciousness. As he turned, his body shifted, causing his wound to open and spurt blood. Eric used both of his hands.

"The ambulance will arrive in a few minutes," Lexie said as she moved beside Eric. She stopped as she stared at Eric, trying to keep the man from bleeding out. He couldn't move, as moving would mean losing the pressure on the wound.

"Okay," He cleared his throat. Trying not to shift his grip off the wound, Eric turned his head towards Lexie, "I need you to..."

"AHHHHHHHH!!!!"

Eric darted at the source of the scream. The woman at the passenger seat was regaining her consciousness.

"Wh-where?" The woman mumbled while she looked around. She cringed in pain as she moved her hand to touch her aching forehead - She saw blood on her fingers. Her eyes widened. She looked around and realized she was upside down. Her hands were hanging and touching the roof of their car. She became distraught and screamed.

"Ma'am..." Eric spoke, struggling to get her attention. Lexie ran towards the passenger seat as Eric continued to call the woman. The woman writhed in terror, slamming her hands on the metal roof under her head, screaming, "Ma'am, I need you to stop moving," Eric's moved his head out of the car to look for Lexie, "Lexie, can you reach her?"