You Are the Reason

It had been months since Izzie Stevens left Seattle, months since Alex told her that their marriage was not working anymore. That was Izzie's cue to leave; she realized there was nothing left in Seattle for her, not even a husband. She left Seattle and decided to go somewhere far. Izzie chose Kansas as a place to start over, to build a life free of death and tragedy, in contrast to the life she had in Seattle. Everything was well at first. She was happy. She was accepted to continue her residency at Kansas Medical, made a few friends, and even bought an apartment.

Izzie made a true fresh start, just as she had promised to herself. No one's dying and no one's falling in love with a patient; There were no dramas. The funny thing was, she realized, that was the first time in years she felt normal, but Izzie would admit that she was unhappy even if she was living a wonderful life. Seattle was a death trap, but it was also the place where she gained friends, found a family and fell in love. One day, reminiscing back their internship days, she found herself on a plane to Seattle.

Looking back at the airport entrance, Izzie couldn't believe it as she stood behind the counter as waiting for her rental car. — She did, in fact, fly back to Seattle. Izzie assumed she was dreaming, but when the man behind the counter called her name and handed her the keys to her car, she knew it was real. Her emotions were mixed: one part of her thought it was a terrible idea, while another thought it was exactly what she needed to do. Yet, it wasn't closure she was aiming at, the reason; Alex was the reason she returned to Seattle.

Sending those divorce papers wasn't easy for her. Getting it back with his signature was more difficult — She was hoping Alex wouldn't sign it, imagining Alex calling her about it, telling her he didn't want to sign the 'freakin' papers which would prompt her to return to Seattle, back into his arms — Life would remind Izzie that it isn't all rose-colored spectacles and rainbows like she once believed. Her phone stayed quiet, even when he sent the papers back.

Izzie instantly had the thought that she should know better. Izzie married a difficult man, but Alex is her difficult man. He was always there for her when she needed him the most. Izzie shouldn't have left just because Alex told him so. He stayed despite her doing the same thing. That's the mistake she made, and more, when she waited months to go back to him. Izzie was determined to fix it, even if it meant facing his wrath. She'll go to any length to get Alex back so she can be with him. He's the missing piece to her almost perfect life in Kansas.

- - - - -

Early Morning - Hours before lockdown
Centennial Drive

Izzie stopped in front of a café near the hospital. Looking at the road ahead, she thought of what she would say to Alex once they meet again. She gripped the steering wheel tightly, nervous and anxious about the inevitable meeting, facing an angry Alex and accepting every hurtful word that he'll say to her; but at the minute she felt those feelings, she was then overcome by the overwhelming emotion of missing him. Her heart was racing with longing for him. Izzie fumbled about in the glove compartment for a piece of paper. She then reached into her handbag and drew out a pen. Izzie knew she wouldn't be able to say everything the moment she saw him, so she decided to write everything on a paper, just in case. She began writing what she wanted to tell Alex, including her feelings and regret.

Izzie kept the letter in her handbag. Before starting the car, she checked herself in the mirror, making sure her hair and make-up looked good. She then double-checked both sides before turning the car and exiting the curve. Suddenly, a loud crash sounded behind her — the car behind her had hit her car. She turned and looked at the back. She saw the driver gripping his hair and pacing frantically as he looked at the crash. Izzie stepped out of her car and went closer to the man.