The Only Exception

Trauma Room 3

"O-Ow!" exclaimed Eric as Arizona treated his head wound with a clean gauze and an iodine solution. She applied more pressure, pressing the wound firmly, making him groan in pain.

Arizona grumbled as she brought out another clean gauze and cleaned his wound with additional pressure. "It's your fault, keep still."

"The man hit my head with a flower pot — obviously not - not my fau—" Eric stopped as he winced.

"You know, you're lucky you didn't lose an eye."

"The wound wasn't even that close to my ey—" Arizona pressed the gauze on his wound. "Ow! Can you please be gentle!"

"So, what's the deal here, genius? Trying to kill yourself now?" Eric tried to move his head away from Arizona, squirming, but she stopped him, holding his head still, "I said, don't - don't move! I'm trying to clean your wound!"

"Oh, oh, you're cleaning it. I thought you just... trying to burrow your way into my head!" Arizona pressed the gauze firmly on his wound. "Ah!" Eric turned around and grabbed her arm stopping her, "Okay. That's. Enough!"

Arizona yanked her arm off his grasp as she spoke to the nurse. "Go get my resident." The nurse stepped out of the room. Arizona then continued, "You know why I stayed quiet and let you two clowns parade as EMTs? I thought maybe it's your way of coping about with what happened last month," She snarled, "but you. risking. your lives. is a different story!"

"We're not risking our... what happened earlier was an isolated case, but we did help someone." A deep sigh escaped his lips, "Look... Alex found out that the boy we brought in earlier had bruises that looked like he'd been beaten — literally, a freaking boot print stamped on the kid's back..."

Arizona shook her head as she muttered, "Freaking? For a second there, you sounded like Alex."

"He had a hunch that it's the dad. We went to their house; Glad we got there in time. The daughter was shot; the Dad was pointing a gun at his other kid too. We rushed in — Alex was about to get shot too if I didn't intervene and try to take the gun away from..."

Eric stopped as he returned his gaze to Arizona. He did a double take when he noticed her scowling at him with flared nostrils and furrowed eyebrows, eyes were chilly and flinty.

"... the dad."

He slowly met her glare with a smile.

- - - - -

Callie stood outside the trauma room, peering through the glass window, watching Arizona and Eric. She chuckled, amused as she observed Arizona's face turn red with rage, finally talking some sense into Eric. As Callie looked away, she noticed Lexie arriving in the ER.

"Hey," Lexie greeted as she stopped beside Callie.

"Oh hey, Lexie," Callie said with a big smile.

"Uhm," Lexie looked around, "H-have you seen Dr. Robbins?"

"YOU WHAT?!"

The two looked inside the trauma room, hearing Arizona. Callie snickered. Her smile widened as she answered Lexie.

"Uh, yeah. She's inside."

- - - - -

Arizona muttered curses under her breath and looked away. She returned her gaze to Eric, who smiled amusedly. "Oh... oh! You think this is funny, huh?"