Three Brothers and a Double Leg Transplant Case

Four Months Ago

Seattle Grace Hospital wasn't that different from any other hospitals he's been. With its shiny floors and the combined smell of strong disinfectant and lemon air freshener permeating across the reception area, Eric Keaton still hadn't thought of any reason why and how, suddenly, some people he knew in New York chose to work at this hospital. What's so special about it? He thought.

Eric continued to gaze around as he moved towards the reception desk. With his head stuck looking up the catwalk, he almost hit a group of interns rushing in towards the 'pit' - hearing one mumbled something about a multiple MVC and 'Nazi' — whatever that means. He swerved to avoid the running interns, yet failed, as he hit the last two who seemed to be lagging behind with the rest.

"Apologies," Eric uttered. 

The man gestured at him, muttering 'sorry' and waving his hand as the other, a woman, kept pulling the man's coat and asking him about something. Eric watched them walked away.

"Just so you know, I-I won't tell them, I won't... won't tell them that you didn't pass — " The girl intern babbled, staggering beside the guy.

"O - kay... thank you? I guess..." The intern paused, shaking his head in confusion, "but really... you can tell them." The guy talked and looked at his companion, continuing towards the emergency room, "Have you talked to Meredith about...?"

"Why?" She chuckled nervously. "H-have you?" Their voices faded as they turned out of sight.

The receptionist called Eric, asking what he needed.

"Good... morning," Eric paused, shaking his head. He looked at the receptionist and continued, "Yes, uh... sorry, just... Can you please point me towards the Chief of Surgery's Office?"

As soon as the receptionist pointed the direction towards the office, a deep voice echoed throughout the hall.

"Keaton?"

Eric turned where the voice was coming from, and there stood two men, a black haired standing still, the other, the grey haired strutting his way towards him.

"Eric Keaton in the flesh," Mark blurted as he walked towards Eric, "What brings you here, man?" He asked.

It has been years since Eric had seen Mark Sloan. The last time that he did, it was in New York, with Mark telling Eric how lucky Derek was, having Addison. Funny little thing, after a year, news had spread that Derek left New York because he saw Addie cheating with Mark.

Fast forward three years later, the two of them together, minus the woman that broke their friendship.

Eric offered a handshake that Mark made into a hug, "You don't shake your brother's hand, dumbass."

"Yeah, lord knows where they've been," Eric blurted out as he pulled out of the hug.

Mark stared at him, his arm on Eric's shoulder. His mouth gaped and then developed into a teethy smile as he punched Eric's arm, "Even I missed your snarky remarks!"

Mark paused and turned towards the dark haired man standing a few feet away from them. Eric turned and stared at Derek Shepherd as he made his way towards him and the gorilla who's squeezing him.

He had known Derek Shepherd longer than he had known Mark. Eric knew that he needed to take his internship in the US when he met Derek Shepherd at a conference in Oxford. And, he did. Eric went to New York and worked under Derek Shepherd's tutelage. There he met Mark Sloan - Eric gained a family with the two. It was a better time, he thought. It was a time where 'Addison and Derek', the perfect couple, were a thing; Derek and Mark were best friends and the only thing Derek was angry about Mark was when Mark would bring a stranger to family meals. Derek was essentially content and happy.