I Always Have Your Back, Brother

S5/E20 - S5/E23

___________________________________________________

Hospital Lobby

Meredith had convinced Derek to go back to work, telling him about Izzie's condition and that out of the 20 person that could do the surgery, He's the best person for the job.

Callie watched as Derek and Richard walked by, followed by Meredith, Cristina and Alex. All of them were going to Izzie's room for the presentation. She then saw George walking towards her, looking despondent.

"George. Hey," Callie called, "I'm surprised you're not... I mean isn't there a big presentation happening with Izzie?"

"I didn't even know she was sick," George went on, Callie can see the hurt on George's eyes as he continue to talk, "Bailey told me after Christina told her. Izzie trusted Christina. I was the very last to know."

She tried to console him, "Well, I'm sure Izzie wasn't trying..."

"I don't even want to talk about it anymore," George interrupted, "What I wanna do is work. You have any room on your service?" He finally looked at her.

"Yeah." Pulling the charts, she continued, "I have three hip replacements on and a tib-fib repair --"

George reached in for the charts, "Thank you." He walked away.

- - - - -

As he busied himself with surgeries, away from thinking about Izzie – of which is juggling between worrying and being upset about how he knew about it – George realized that he wasn't succeeding. He's still thinking about his best friend and he's being consumed by it. Callie's been checking him from time to time. George would just answer with a word or by changing the topic. Scrubbing out, Callie noticed George staring at nowhere.

"George, Are you o –"

George continued to scrub and interrupted her, "I'll put the patient in the recovery room, Dr. Torres, You can take your lunch," George said.

"Uhm – Okay," Callie answered, "See you later, then."

Callie went out of the OR. George followed. After he put their patient in the recovery room, he saw Eric inside one of the recovery rooms, checking his patient. George stared at him. Eric looked outside and noticed George standing, looking at him. Eric finished checking the patient and went out of the room. He stepped beside George, giving the chart to the nurse.

"Dr. O'Malley," Eric greeted. He noticed that George was staring out of nowhere. The nurse gave another chart to him that he started signing. George finally broke the silence.

"When they talked about Izzie's treatment plan, Cristina..." George paused, her name stinging on his lips, "Knowing Cristina, she would think of getting the best doctors for Izzie. --I heard Meredith, She – They thought Dr. Shepherd should do the surgery on her brain," Eric kept his eyes glued on the chart he's holding as George continued, "Meredith made a case of him being one of the 20 surgeons who could do it. I know you're also one of that 20 surgeons. You can do it. I know. I saw you do one..."

"George..."

"You're fine. You're here. Dr. Shepherd's not fine. He may have just said yes because of Meredith – Tell me, Dr. Keaton. Is he the right choice?" George looked at him, pain and worry reflecting through his eyes.

"I've known Dr. Shepherd for years. He may be in a dark place..." He put down the chart and leaned on the counter, "but I think... I think he wouldn't risk his patient by accepting the surgery he couldn't do. He didn't say yes because of Meredith, He said yes because he knows he can do it. As you said, Dr. Yang chose the best doctor for Izzie. Dr. Shepherd is the best doctor," Eric patted his shoulder.