Nothing's the Same; Memories Remain

Lexie whimpered and gasped for air, gradually regaining consciousness, lethargic and exhausted. Her head ached. Her body felt bruised and beaten up. She slowly opened her eyes, everything was a blur. Lexie squinted at the harsh light beaming on her as her gaze moved towards the light. She looked around the room as her eyes adjusted. The blurs slowly turned into objects

As her sight cleared, Lexie turned her gaze towards the three people inside her room. Callie and Arizona was sitting on the sofa, watching Mark as he continued pacing around the room.

"It's been three days. Why is she still not waking up?!"

"Sit down, Mark." Callie said in a groan as she massaged her forehead. "So, Webber's pushing the whole counseling thing, huh?" Callie tried to engage Arizona in conversation as Arizona kept glaring at Mark.

"Eric's not here — probably knows he gorked her too."

"You know what, I've had enough of this." Arizona quickly stood up and sneered at Mark, adding, "Eric didn't cause this. Stevens is not his fault."

Callie's gaze shifted to Lexie and noticed her moving.Her eyes widened as she stared at Lexie for a minute, as if it hadn't yet sunk in. It took her a moment to realize Lexie was awake.

"Uh, guys." Callie uttered.

"You and I both know Lexie's important to him. Seeing her like this is difficult for him, too."

"Then why hasn't she woke up yet if he didn't screw it up?!" Mark exclaimed, his hands on his hips as he took a step closer to Arizona, his gaze fixed on her.

"For someone who calls him a 'brother,' you're not acting like one!" Arizona snarled back at him, leaning in closer to emphasize her point.

"Lexie's awake!" exclaimed Callie, drawing Mark and Arizona's attention. They glanced first at Callie, then at Lexie, finally noticing her move up to lean on the bed as Callie assisted her.

Mark rushed towards her and held her hand, "Lex, h-hey."

Lexie winced and murmured, "W-what's with the shouting?"

As he kissed her on the forehead, Mark chuckled. "You're awake."

Mark gave Arizona a sidelong glance before returning his gaze to Lexie.

- - - - -

Lexie tried to sit up, oblivious to her injuries. She winced as the pain intensified, immobilising her. Callie helped her sat down, leaning on the bed. Lexie grimaced, letting out another pained moan as she assured, "I'm fine."

Lexie slowly slid back onto her bed and closed her eyes as the ache subsided. Her eyes remained closed until the door the door slammed open. Meredith entered the room and walked over to her. Lexie looked away and let out a sigh, which Mark noticed, before returning her gaze to Meredith. Meredith embraced her tightly.

"Y-you're hugging me. You're not a hugger," Lexie chuckled.

"I know," Meredith murmured as she hugged Lexie even tighter. "Thank god you're awake," she eventually said as she let go.

Lexie looked around the room before asking, "W-where's..."

Mark cleared his throat and replied, "I already paged neuro." Lexie looked at him as he continued, "I paged..." Mark faltered, looking down on the floor, "I think he's coming."

As a knock resounded and the door opened, everyone in the room turned their gaze to the door. As Mark watched Jim Nelson enter the room, his smile disappeared.