Chapter 5

Grace’s POV

I feel so terrible about what happened last night; but he just does not understand what it feels like to lose someone that you love. Luke went to do what he enjoyed which was serving his country and I willingly supported him.  Now he is gone and I am left alone without my heart or at least a part of it.  When Luke was buried, parts of me were too and I have never been the same.

 I have not been the same and the only one who truly knows is Jessica.  

Jessica’s POV

Although I was somewhat uneasy about leaving Grace with Seth, my time with Dean was nice.

*memories of the night before*

The car ride was somewhat quiet and I mean awkwardly quiet. My eyes scan the surroundings that passed me by and this entire city had my mind captured. “Jess”, he said, “I was wondering what you wanted to do.”

“We can go back to the apartment and watch movies as well as make popcorn and wrestle.”  A grin grew on his face and he nodded his head before driving off. We got to Grace’s apartment where I live as her roommate rather quickly. I jump out of the car and say, “I’ll beat you to the apartment!”

“What”, he said, “that is no fair because I do not know the number.”

“Then you will have to learn quickly now.” I answer with a giggle and run. He is hot on my tail; but I determined to beat him to the door. However, I forgot that he was a wrestler and worked out every day. He scooped me up and held me tightly. “Now what was that you said earlier?” he whispered into my ear. ‘Man, he is making me shiver.’ “I believe that it was in the nature of you beating me somewhere. Oh that’s right to the apartment. How is that working?”

“Oh it’s good, Mr. Ambrose.” I purred. He looked at me somewhat confused yet amused. “How so Jessica?”

“This”, I said as I elbow him in the gut, “This is how.” I yelled behind me and I can see him eyeing me. ‘He is going to make me pay for that; but I don’t know how.’ I finally find the apartment door and thank God that I had beaten him here or so I thought. I walk inside quickly and hang up my coat in the closet. I suddenly felt one hand across my mouth and the person’s other hand around my waist. “Hello kitty cat. Did you miss me?” I feel my breath in my throat; and when I do finally speak, all I can say is, “Hhhii. I did.”

“Awwwwee, you’re so cute when you stutter and I missed you too.” With this, he spins me around to face him and our faces are not very far apart. For a moment, I thought that he was going to kiss me and Dean did just not what I was thinking. His lips gently brushed my cheek and I can feel my cheeks burning crimson. This moment last for a few more minutes and then I ask what movie that he wants to watch.  We agreed on watching “Mama” and he pops in the movies as I make the popcorn and get the drinks prepared. When the food and liquids are finally ready, we both settle ourselves on the couch.

Later into the night…

I wake up from what seemed like a nightmare and realize that there is a strong pair of arms around waist. My instinct feeling is fear and to fight. My body reacts with the speed of lightning and my body gets out of the grasp of whoever it was. ‘Please don’t let be Jakob. Please don’t let it be him.’ Without thinking, I go into GraceLynn’s bedroom and get the metal blade. Now you are wondering what and why? Grace also followed these rules that she watched on this show NCIS and one that I was following was number nine: don’t go anywhere without your knife (or at least it went something like that). She always had one because Grace was once engaged to a marine who taught her to use it for only protection against an attack although I think that Grace carried this one special knife because it was Luke’s. Well, I took it from where she had it and returned to the figure who was on the couch. When I think that I have the surprise advantage, he stirs from his sleep and we are both on the ground. “Get off me, Jakob!” I yell.

“Jessica, it is me, Dean! Calm down and give me that!” He answers as he gently removes the metal object from my hand. “I am sorry.” I mutter softy.

“It’s fine. I don’t know who Jakob is; but no one will hurt you.” He is still over me and this time, he does what I thought earlier.

Grace’s POV

Once I finish my shower and get dressed, my body drags me into the kitchen which holds my wonderful best friend who is like my sister. “Hey sister”, Jess says in her morning voice which sounds like beautiful melodies which angels sing.  “Good morning, Jessica.”

“GraceLynn Robertson, what is the matter? Did he hurt you in anyway because if he did then I will rip him to…”

“Jessica”, I say firmly, “he did not hurt me. Actually, I believe that Colby has feelings for me and not joking.” I try not to let the tears flow; however, I fail and my cheeks are soaked with them. Jessica in her motherly nature comes over to me and holds me in her arms as I cry. “There, there.” She rubs my back and then asks, “Sweetheart, what is wrong with him having feelings for you?”

“Everything is wrong! I cannot give him what he wants and he kissed me! Kissed me! I thought that he hated my guts.” Jessica looks at me as she thinks of her next words. “GraceLynn, you may not like what I have to say; but you will hear me out. I know that you love Luke; but my sister, he is gone. You need to let him go and realize that he would not want you to stop living because he is not around. Colby may love you; but you’ll never know if you don’t give the man a chance.”

“I don’t know.”

“Well, you could start out as friends and take it slowly from there.”

“Okay, I can do that.”

“Good. For the love of the good Lord, you act like you have to marry him right now!” I gave her AJ’s crazy eyes as I reply, “Do not say that. Do not wish me evil or else!”

“Or else what GraceLynn Robertson?” I do not give her the chance of opening her mouth because I throw a pillow at her. “Ha! Take that for an or else!” I begin to laugh and I am going to die of it. However, Jessica has good aim and throws it back which causes me to fall on my butt. “Not funny!” I pout.

“Oh I thought that it was!” Jess laugh until I playfully wrestle her to the floor. We continue on until my apartment’s front door is opened by Dean and Seth right behind him. “Well, it looks like you two are in no need of a workout.” Dean says with a smirk.

“Oh, Dean, you just wish that it was you down here with Jess instead of me.” I reply. My eyes show me that Jessica is becoming as red as a tomato. He flips me off. “Hey, there will be no profanity of any kind in my home! Do you understand me?”

“Yes, madam”, he replies. 

“Alright, we will go finish getting ready and we can leave.” Jessica and I race to the room and put on clothes faster than Flash can run.

*Car Ride….

Seth and I are in the back while Jessica sits up front with Dean.  I think that she did it on purpose; but oh well. “Colby”, I say in a whisper as he turns his head, “I am sorry.”

“What are you sorry for? Grace, you didn’t do anything wrong.” I take his hand and reply, “Yeah, I did. First off, I am sorry for not getting to know you and just making assumptions. Secondly, last night deserves an explanation.” He nods his head. “Grace, I forgive you. Honestly, I would like to know why we cannot be… not even friends.” My ears pour his words and somewhat broken voice into my head.  My heart melts and I brace myself. “Thank you. Colby, it is not that I do not want to be friends or even more. The problem is me and my conscious.”

“What do you mean by you’re the problem?” His question sinks into my mind and I begin to explain why.