Chapter 26 - Boomeranging decisions

«««««Nonso»»»»»

Immediately I dropped Abel at the lodge, I drove straight to my house.

I wonder what was so weird that Cynthia had to call urgently.

I won't be surprised if it turns out that Mom faked her marriage with Dad. It would be the best news of the century.

The gateman opened the gate and I drove in. I parked in the garage and decided to scan the environment first before I got down, just in case.

Mom was talking with some woman who was not looking happy at all.
From her choice of clothing to her accessories, the woman was looking really wealthy. She's probably one of Mom's numerous friends.
The woman entered a white Benz that was parked neatly in the compound and drove towards the gate.
As she passed my car, she turned to my direction, removed her huge sunglasses and grinned softly at me before driving off.

From what I saw, that woman was very beautiful and endowed, she seemed nice too. I wonder why Mom wouldn't learn from people like this.

I came out of my car and proceeded to enter the house.

"Ohh! Nonso you are here." Cynthia chimed as she ran towards me.

I turned to her and smiled, "Yes I am and you better have a good reason for calling me over." I said and resumed walking.

"Did you see her?" She gasped as she ran to meet up with my pace.

"Who? You mean that beautiful woman that just drove off?" I asked with a grin.

"Yes. She's the one." She replied hurriedly.

"Yes I did." I shrugged.

"So I heard her discussing with Mom and Dad." She tucked her lips and gave me a small nod.

I chuckled, "You and your ears again huh?" I raised a brow.

She lowered her voice like she wants to share with me a deadly plan,"No I think she might be..." She was interrupted.

"Nonso." I heard my Dad bellow. I turned to see him standing on the balcony with his hands on the rails and a not too friendly expression.

"Good afternoon Dad." I greeted with a toothy grin.

"I didn't know you were coming over today." I stated.

"Yes it was..." As I was about to tell him why I was really here, Cynthia tapped me furiously from behind; I figured she didn't actually want me to say the truth, "I just came to get some documents for my file." I lied.

"Well that's good. Do meet me in my room." He said and turned his back to leave.

"Okay Dad." I replied.

"Thanks for not backstabbing me." Cynthia blurted immediately.

I immediately turned with a confounded expression, "What's wrong? Why do you seem... unhappy?" I queried.

"I don't like that woman." She spat sternly.

"What's your deal with that woman?" I asked again.

"Nonso!" I heard a too familiar voice yell my name again.

"Dad?" I turned and he was still at the balcony.

I thought he left.

"Now." He stated and turned again to leave.

"We'll catch up later okay." I said hurriedly to Cynthia as I rushed to my father's room.

The door creaked open as I stepped inside the room. Dad was at his study table staring at something on the table.