Judith

Gracie's POV (age 7)

"Gracie, let's go" Will shouted from the kitchen,

"Coming" I replied as I slipped on my pink converse and left my bedroom, making my way in to the hallway were Will stood with his uniform on. "Can I take my Nintendo switch?" I asked hopefully,

"Sure" he agreed "but be quick or we're gonna be late" he urged as I ran in to the kitchen to retrieve my Nintendo switch from its place on the kitchen counter and shoved it into my backpack. Will ushered me out of the apartment and I ran towards his car, jumping in once he unlocked it."Seatbelt" he instructed.

We drove to the hospital in a comfortable silence and walked hand in hand in to the hospital, greeting the various doctors and nurses that saw us as we walked to the break room.

"Ok, someone will be in to check on you once in a while" he explained as he took his jacket off and washed his hands "don't leave this room unless its to go to the toilet or it's an emergency ok?" I nodded to show my understanding,

"Promise" I said as I unloaded my colouring book and pens from my bag.

"Good girl" he said as he gave me a kiss on the head "do you need anything before I go?" He asked. I shook my head, "Ok, well Jay will be here in a couple of hours to pick you up so try and stay out of trouble until then" he joked as he left to start his shift.

It had been about half an hour since Will had left to start work and the glass of water I had before leaving the house was wanting to make a reappearance. I made my way to the bathroom and on my way back to the break room I noticed and old lady struggling to pick up her empty cup from the floor. I looked around to see if I could find a grownup to help her but there was no one around. I made my way to her cubicle and picked up her cup from the floor, placing it on her table and pouring her a cup of water.

"Thank you Darlin" she said in a thick southern accent as she took a sip of the water I had poured for her,

"That's ok Ma'am" I replied with a smile,

"Why aren't you a respectful young lady, but there's no need for that sweetie, you can call me Judith" she replied kindly,

"Ok Judith" I smiled "My names Gracelyn but you can call me Gracie" I held out my hand and she weakly shook it.

"My mother was called Gracelyn" she informed, my eyes widened,

"Wow! I'd love to meet her, I've never met anyone with the same name as me before!" I said excitedly.

"She was an amazing woman" she said sadly "unfortunately she passed away quite some time ago" She said with a sad smile.

"Oh" I said sadly "I don't have a mom and dad either" I admitted as I my heart grow heavy at the thought of my parents.

"I'm really sorry to hear that sweetie" she said genuinely, I smiled sadly,

"It's ok, I still have my big brothers and I love them more than anything in the whole wide world!" I said excitedly,

"Well isn't that something" she smiled. We sat in a comfortable silence before I broke it, "I better get going, I'm not meant to be wandering around the hospital" I admitted as I hopped off the chair that I had been seated in, "it was really nice to meet you Judith" I said with a smile.

"You too Gracie, look after yourself" she said kindly.

I began to sprint back to the break room but suddenly crashed in to someone,

"Woah, careful kid you'll have an accident"

"Sorry Connor" I said, eager to get back to the break room,

"It's fine, just no more running ok?" He asked. I nodded frantically as I walked back to the break room and eagerly sat down at the table and began my project.

An hour later I had completed my picture. It had pink and purple flowers splashed across it with a rainbow surrounded by pink clouds and a banner that read 'Get Well Soon'. I smiled proudly at my artwork and sneakily made my way out of the break room and back towards Judith's room. I peeked my head around the corner and smiled when she noticed me,

"Gracie" she greeted "to what do I owe the pleasure?" She asked. I made my way fully in to the room and proudly presented my creation to my new friend who gasped in happiness,

"I made you a picture" I said sweetly, allowing her to take the picture from my grasp.

"Oh Gracie" she said with tears in her eyes "this is the nicest thing anyone has ever given me" she said making me blush, "I'll treasure it forever" she promised as she stood it up on her table.

"Gracie" a voice boomed from behind me "how many times have you been told not to wander off?" Jay demanded as he stormed over to me, "Will, she's here" he shouted over his shoulder and Will appeared not a moment later.

"Gracelyn, I told you to stay in the break room" he chastised "I'm so sorry Mrs Jamison I hope she wasn't bothering you?" He apologised to Judith.

"Nonsense, you've raised an extremely polite and respectful young lady here boys and you should be very proud of her" she explained winking at me causing me to smile. My brothers looked shocked before looking at each other,

"I didn't mean to break the rules" I pleaded " I went to the bathroom and on my way back I saw Judith struggling to pick up her cup off the floor so I came to help her, then we just got talking. I wanted to make her a picture to make her smile so I came back to give it to her!" I explained as I picked up my picture as proof.

"My brothers smiled at me as I placed the picture back in pride of place on the table.

"So you leave this girl alone" Judith chastised "she didn't mean no wrong" she stated causing my brothers to smile,

"I suppose you're right Mrs Jamison" Will agreed "Well done Gracie that was a really nice thing you did" Will praised as he placed his hand on my head.

"Yeah, just maybe tell someone where you are next time Gracie"Jay remarked.

"I will, promise!" I said with a cheeky smile,

"I'm afraid i'm gonna have to steal Gracie away from you now Ma'am" Jay said with a smile once Will had left to continue his work.

"Bye Judith" I said as I hugged her,

"Goodbye sweetie, thank you so much for my wonderful picture" she said as Jay and I turned to left the room.

"You're welcome" I replied with a proud smile.