Chapter 44

Cross POV -The Destruction Pt. One-

The siren is blaring loudly, and for a second every single body at the shack freezes, even those who were far more focused on other things. But then once we all quickly realize what that siren is, complete mayhem lets loose.

Living in 'Tornado Alley' your whole life teaches you just how quickly you need to act when that sound goes off. I look around for a second seeing people hopping in cars and driving away, but we have no idea which way this thing is coming from, and you definitely don't want to drive into it. 

Sutter and I lock eyes over the girls head who has us both in shambles, but an understanding passes between us without words, like it used to when we were kids and had the same troubling ideas.

"Everyone to the fields!" I yell, talking about the grassy area behind the shack, that leads to a bridge and a huge ditch line in the ground. I grab Lilly's hand and yank her into a full on sprint, Bobby grabs Nadine, Jesse grabs Jo, and Lilly reaches for Sutter. At this point I dont even care, we all just need to get out of here and to safety, as soon as possible.

There's a group of fifteen of us running through the fields, the sound of grass smacking against our shoes can't be heard over the roaring of the winds around us. I keep hearing the sound of electrical transformers popping in the distance, and all the street lights, and lights in houses or buildings around us, go completely dark.

"There's an old house up here, we need to get in it and hunker down somewhere!" Sutter yells over all the noise around us.

"No way man, thats the last place we need to be if that things busts through a house!" Jesse yells backs, and I agree. But we have a problem.

"If that thing goes in this direction though, we'll never make it to the bridge!" I say, keeping my eyes zeroed in on the land in front of us, praying to any one who is listening that we don't see the twister barreling towards us when we get around the turn to the bridge.

"We have to go somewhere! We can't outrun it if it's anywhere near us." Nadine says. And the closet thing to us right now is the bridge, so thats our best option. Without saying a word we all come to the same conclusion, and stay on the same path.

I can feel Lilly's hand shaking in mine, and the only comfort I have right now is knowing that Sutter and I both would never let anything happen to her. She's better protected than anyone else out here, and that gives me more peace than anything else.

The bridge comes up around the turn, and we all let out a small holler of relief when we see it looks undisturbed and there's no tornado in sight.

"Who all has a belt?" Bobby asks, and just about all the guys and two girls do. "Find someone with a belt if you dont have one, and get yourselves strapped down with someone." Bobbys dad is the towns weatherman, so he knows the most about this kind of stuff over anyone else.

We get to the pillars of the bridge, and all of us start yanking our belts off so fast and hard that I break at least two of my belt loops in the process. Lilly isn't wearing a belt, so instinctively I reach for her, and pull her body in front of mine against the stone pillar, ready to start our hands together. The wind has picked up around us, and the siren is still blaring around us, seeming louder if thats possible.

Suddenly Lilly is pulled from my grasp, and I look up in a panic, but Sutter's already looking back at me. "Fuck no. I may not be fighting with you right now, but you're not responsible for my girlfriend, I am."

"That's really what you wanna say right now, in a time like this? All I was trying to do was help her, my belt was off first."

"You wanna help someone? Go grab one of those girls down there who don't have anyone and do them a favor. Ive got her." He gesture towards the people waiting on someone with a belt to help them, looking around in a panic.