Chapter 21

Sutter's POV

    I feel like I've been waiting all day for my mom and sister to get back from shopping with Lilly. We got up around nine and my mom had breakfast ready in the kitchen. We all ate and then they literally rushed her to get dressed and then practically dragged her out the door.

     I know they were just excited to spend the day with her, but I felt bad for her. I know spending time with them might be good for her though, and I have to remind myself that's she's a lot tougher than I give her credit for.

     Everyday it seems like she's warming up to me more and more, whether she shows it with her affection or with her opening up with her words. Whatever it is, I'll take it. I'll take whatever she gives me.

    My dads at work and I have the whole house to myself, and I have no idea what else to do to make the time go by faster. I've washed my car, I've mowed the lawn, I've even cleaned up my fucking room, and I never do that. But I'm going out of my mind waiting for her to get back.

     I've convinced my family to go out for the night, and to let us have the house to ourselves for a couple of hours. I have something I want to do with Lilly, and it's not something that can be done in front of an audience. And no, it's not anything sexual. Unfortunately. But I know neither one of us is going to venture into that side of things until she fully trust me again, and I won't until she's mine again. Having sex with her but not actually having her, would just be too painful.

     When I was cutting the grass, I took it upon myself to look over at Lilly's parents house. I had noticed the day before that there was a moving van in the driveway. My dad also told me a couple guys at work had heard that Paul sold his business to a guy who had been wanting to purchase it for a long time. He sold his company for over two million dollars.

     The thought of that fucker getting away with what he did to Lilly, and then also becoming even wealthier than he already is, makes me see red. I'd like to burn his whole fucking house and franchise down, with him inside it. I constantly remind myself that this is what Lilly wanted, she didn't want a big show of things. But I can't help the way it feels, like we should've done more.

     It makes me physically sick every time I think about her being in that house with him, and me not knowing what was going on. I was just right down the road, and I never had any clue about it. Now when I think back and remember all the bruises and cuts, I should have known it wasn't just from her falling or from sports. I should have questioned her more, and maybe I could have got her out of there a lot sooner.

     I try to veer my thoughts away from that subject, because it does nothing but put me in a piss poor mood, and I don't want to be like that around Lilly when she finally returns.

     Giving up, I go into my bathroom and take a shower, washing away all of the dirt and sweat I gathered throughout this busy day. I dry off quickly and decide to lay down, realizing how tired I am from being on the go all day.

     When my head hits the pillow, I inhale the scent that can only be paired with Lilly. It smells like sweet coconuts, her favorite shampoo and lotion. That's the only stuff she has ever used, and I swear it's my favorite smell, but only on her.

•••

    A door slamming downstairs jolts me from the slumber I fell into. I sit up quickly and run my fingers through my hair, which is probably sticking up in a thousand different ways now.

     I run down the stairs and see my mom, Jo, and Lilly hauling in countless bags of clothes and shoes. "So I guess y'all found some stuff you like?"