Part Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty Six

~Trenton~

"Daddy, look!" Justice called. She hung upside down by the backs of her knees from the monkey bars at the playground area at the police station.

"That's pretty cool. Need help getting down?" I asked. She laughed and nodded. I flipped her right side up, and as soon as her feet hit the ground she ran off to continue to play.

"Mr. Davis?" A female voice called to me. I turned around and saw a female officer in uniform.

"Hello." I said plainly.

"Hi. I'm very sorry to say this, but um, officer Vendetta has been shot." She said softly, lowering her head. I froze and held my gaze at her. It was like everything froze. I could feel the brush of every cool gust of wind. I could hear Justice's laugh echo behind me with another child that had approached. My heart thudded hard against my chest.

"What?" Was all I could manage to say.

"Miracle, she's on her way to the hospital for her wounds." She said timidly.

"Justice come on, we've got to go." I called back before zipping up my jacket.

"Mr. Davis it's very important that you calm down before---"

"Yeah, thanks for that." I said before Justice grabbed my hand as we walked off.

As we walked toward the car, Justice looked up at me. We walked along the sidewalk to the parking garage down the road.

"Daddy? What's wrong?"

"Everything is okay, sweetheart." I replied. I continued to try and convince myself as well.

"I was having fun. That kid's name was Noah. I want to go back." She said.

"I understand baby but we've got to go somewhere important. Maybe we'll see Noah another time." I said. She sighed.

As we continued to walk, I kept noticing flashes of yellow in my peripheral view. Every time I looked, it was a cab turning off of an intersection near me. Every time. I grabbed my daughter's hand tighter.

"Daddy, something isn't right." Justice said.

"Daddy's right here." I said soothingly as I got an eerie feeling in my body. I began to get increasingly anxious, and eager to get to my car. I heard the engine of the car behind us. I subconsciously felt my waist, forgetting if I grabbed any firearm or not before leaving the house. Funny, as I had realized that this was a daily habit of mine when I used to leave the house as a kid that I had abandoned over the years of shifting my focus.

Damn it, I thought. I took a deep breath, deciding on if we should keep walking or turn around. Before I could decide, Justice stopped, tugging my hand and turning around. I looked toward where she was pointing and the cab had fully stopped right there with us. The tint on the windows were too dark to see through.

I furrowed my eyebrows, curious to see who was in the car. The window began to roll down as a familiar face appeared.

"Mr. Russell?" I asked, confused. "Why are you following me?"