44

FAY

"I never thought I'd hear from you again, Fay." Was my mother's first sentence to me as I sat on the dark blue warm couch in her sitting room.

She had a face mask on as she relaxed on her customized relaxing chair. She had two slices of cucumber covering her eyes.

"I'm sorry for not coming earlier, a lot of things happened after the brunch, and besides, I wanted you to cool off-"

"Is that an excuse? Even a call would have sufficed." She said, as her lips formed a thin line.

I rolled my eyes.

"I'm not trying to make excuses Mom. Listen, I was only mad, I mean, you had to go extra mile to slap me in front of the Chesterfields, that's not fair."

"And you insulting me indirectly was?" She asked, her voice hard.

"I'm sorry about that. I was out of control." I said.

"It doesn't matter now, does it? You still have a contract with her." She said with distaste. "The minute Elroy asked me to reopen the contract, I knew you'd done something to change his mind."

"I didn't do anything, Mom. He realized how unfair it was, and besides Mom, there's more to the story, so... Let's just leave it at that."

"Hm." She said.

"Where's Sarah?" I asked.

"Not here, she's visiting her parents."

"Oh. How have you been?"

"Fine." She said, taking off the cucumbers from her eyes.

She sat up, and finally, her eyes met mine, she scanned my outfit from head to toe. "What are you wearing?" She asked in amusement.

I looked down at my cream sweater and purple scarf. "Casual, why?" I asked carefully.

She looked at me funny. "Let's just hope you aren't mentioned in the next episode of fashion police."

I furrowed my brows in confusion. "Why? Wh-whats wrong with what I'm wearing."

She scoffed. "Anyone who has eyes would know that a blue scarf would have gone better with your cream sweater and blue jeans. Purple is just off." She said.

"But El..." I trailed off. Gritting my teeth in anger.

That annoying man! He made me wear the wrong color. He's going to get an earful from me.

"Anyways, we all make mistakes don't we? Do you need anything to drink? I'll ask Ben to fix up something for you." She said.

"It's fine." I muttered. "I'm in no mood for drinks." I said.

"Your wish. How is Elroy by the way? I heard about the attack." She said.

My eyes widened. "What? Who told you?"

"Melissa. And please don't look at me like that. She made me swear not to tell anyone. Something about Elroy's peace of mind. I also wouldn't want to get on his bad side. Even Sarah doesn't know about it."