Chapter 32

a/n: So hey, I'm back with another chapter. This is definitely going on the list of my top 5 favorite chapters. I've actually had this one planned for months and I'm so excited to finally get to write it and give it to you. It's a bit of an emotional rollercoaster so keep your tissues nearby. Also, don't question the song choice, it just seemed to fit. Anyways, without further ado, here is the chapter. I hope you all enjoy it, it's a long one. 

Ezra could rarely be convinced to go to a party of any kind, especially after the Halloween fiasco when a girl had tried to make a move on him and he was so uncomfortable that he ran to hide in a bathroom where he waited for Grant to find him. Of course, it wasn't too long before he did, but the whole thing could have been avoided if he'd just stayed home that night, and so he'd all but sworn off any parties that might include loud music and drunk girls. That night, however, Grant had promised that if Ezra agreed to go to the Valentine's day party, he'd stay by his side the entire time, and he'd talk to him if there was nothing else to do. On top of that, if there was really nothing fun about the party, they could always leave early. After a considerable amount more of asking and persuading, Ezra finally said yes, because he trusted that Grant would keep his word. In their years of friendship, Ezra had never known Grant to be someone that took a promise lightly, so even as hard as it was for him to trust, he did, only for Grant. 

That's how the brunet boy found himself searching through his closet for something to wear. The Halloween party was easy, he could wear a costume, but this was different, he had to express himself in a casual way and he didn't really know how to do that. Even outside of his uniform, he still wore proper-looking sweaters over button-up shirts and trousers, but he didn't know how casual that was. 

"What about this?" He asked, having pulled on a pair of white jeans with a brown cable-knit sweater and converse sneakers. 

Grant looked over the outfit, a critical look in his eye. "Okay, uh, how about you cuff the jeans, I'll let you borrow a hoodie, and maybe just-" He reached out, messing up Ezra's hair a little so it was fluffier and a bit scruffy. Then he picked out a light pink hoodie and tossed it at him. 

"I think I'm just not quite fit to socialize with the kinds of people who like going to big parties on holidays. I would prefer to just read a book by the fire and maybe listen to love songs or something, I don't know, we could be eating chocolate right now instead of doing this," Ezra said as he pulled off his sweater and tugged on the hoodie. Instantly, he was aware of how strongly the hoodie smelled of Grant. It was mostly his cologne with just a hint of cigarette smoke. He smiled to himself a little. 

"Well, how about for St. Patrick's day we dress up in green and do whatever you want? We can spend the whole evening reading or watching a movie or something."

Ezra thought about that. "Okay," He said with a small smile and a nod. 

"Alright, good." Grant smiled. "I'll go get Kayden and then we can leave." 

---

When they arrived at the party, the entire room smelled like alcohol and sweat, loud music blaring through the house. Ezra took a quiet breath in, trying not to roll his eyes. The things he did for his friends. He knew getting drunk and dancing around like an idiot may be what Grant considered to be fun, but he couldn't see the appeal in it. Still, he decided that he'd try his best to participate and see if he could find any enjoyment in it because otherwise, he'd spend the night sitting in the corner being miserable. Maybe he could use this as an opportunity to get out of his comfort zone for once, Grant was always telling him he should do that more. 

"Hey, how about I go get us some drinks?" Kayden offered. 

"I'll take one, but Ezra doesn't really-"