Chapter 18

It was one day before Thanksgiving and throughout their classes, all the students of Antisto seemed to carry just a bit more spring in their step than usual. Spirits were high with the notion of getting a few days free from the heavy workload and rules. Even most of the teachers seemed a bit relieved to be given a break. They also had the Thanksgiving dinner to look forward to, and as much as Kayden didn't feel like dressing up all formal, he knew the food would be prepared by private chefs as a show of Antisto's excellence and he could be excited for that. 

As a small personal achievement, he'd even managed to stay completely caught up on his work so he'd be able to go into Thanksgiving break with zero stress, mostly because Elias wouldn't let him get behind on work in the first place. Kayden had come to find that the blond could be somewhat generous and understanding as a tutor, but he was still a hardass at the best of times, and he wouldn't let the redhead bullshit his way into lowering the expectation. Elias knew exactly what he was capable of and wouldn't take less. Kayden both hated this and knew it was what he needed. He finally felt like he was succeeding for the first time in his life. Even on the days when he could hardly muster up the motivation to look at his textbook and spent most of the study session whining, Elias seemed to know how to get him interested enough to use what little energy he had. It was frustrating that Elias of all people held the key to Kayden excelling in his classes, but he had to admit, the man had a gift. 

Now it was drawing near to the end of the day. As soon as classes let out, students were directed to go back to their dorms and get changed for the upcoming event. It was essential that all the students look prim and polished for when their parents came. Just like the decor and the food, the students were an example of the school's abilities, and arguably the highest example at that. The only problem was, Kayden didn't much enjoy feeling like a display piece. Elias might like being the golden boy trophy child with his perfect hair and manicured behavior, but Kayden refused to pretend he was the pretty, picturesque Antisto student.

"Is a full suit and tie really necessary?" Kayden asked, resentfully looking at the outfit in the mirror. He wore a white button-up under a forest green suit jacket with a matching green tie and khaki pants. It was horrific, but it was all he had.

"It's mandatory," Theo said, crossing his arms. "Come on, we've gotta get going, the reception will start soon, but we have a school ceremony before that. We'll go through the whole thing with the anthem and the speech before dinner, it's why we had to get ready right away." He said, moving out the door ahead of Kayden who walked like a dog being dragged on a leash at the thought of that fucking ceremony. 

His eyes landed on Grant and Ezra who were walking down the hall ahead of them, conversing about something out of earshot. They were both in navy blue suits, and Kayden caught the way Grant subtly fixed Ezra's hair so it didn't hang in his eyes, though it just fell back to its original place a moment later.

"You know, you wouldn't normally pair dark green and khaki, but very brave choice," Kayden let out something comparable to a squeak when he heard Elias' voice behind him, speaking low enough that few others would hear the playful insult. 

Kayden's face changed about three shades in a matter of thirty seconds as he noticed the quiet chuckling laughter of the blond. 

"What was that sound?" Elias teased as he tried to quiet himself and Kayden only responded with a light, back-handed hit to the taller boy's upper arm, glancing away from him in embarrassment. 

"I don't want to dress up anyway, suits are stupid, nobody should have to wear them," Kayden complained and Elias sighed. 

"Come here, your tie's loose." He said and Kayden glanced to the other end of the hallway where his friends had disappeared down the stairs.