Hockey Rivalry

By simplybookish

Merlia Johnson. A sixteen year old girl who grew up in a hockey family. Her dad is a hockey coach. Her brothe... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 3

21.4K 229 215
By simplybookish

Lia
"Another day. Another math lesson I don't understand." Jake says. "It's a good thing my girlfriend is good at it." I smile at his comment.

"I don't understand how you don't understand." I say.

He stares at me. His beautiful green eyes switching back and forth between my eyes. He lifts his hand up and lightly taps my nose. He scoots in close to me.

"You're so beautiful." He says quietly.

I smile showing my teeth and push my glasses up.

"I love your smile."

My stomach is doing flips.

I hear a sigh coming from behind us. Knowing exactly who it is Jake and I both turn around, I have a huge smile on my face.

"Young love." Lilly says. The kid sitting next to her unfazed by any of this. "Couldn't be me. Could never be me." She taps her pencil on her desk.

I turn around before our teacher yells at us. I laugh quietly at Lilly's comments.

_____

I reluctantly walk into History. My boyfriend is not in this class, my best friend is not in this class. Nobody I enjoy the company of is in this class except for my few acquaintances that I rotate sitting next to everyday.

Today I was going to sit by Molly till I noticed Mike was sitting on the far end of the class towards the front.

I trot over to where he is seated and plop my butt down right next to him.

"Hi!" Mike says immediately.

"Hello bud!" I say extending my arm out with my hand in a fist. Mike gives me a fist bump. "Wonder what were doing in here. I'm not a fan of this class." I sigh.

"I like history. I'm pretty good at it too. I decided sitting towards the front helps me pay attention better but I'm really lying to myself." Mike says.

"I sit in the back. Sometimes I rest my head in my hand and go to sleep. The teacher never catches me."

"I'd like to do that but this seems important to be a spy." Mike whispers the last part.

"Not important enough for me." I shrug.

Mike lifts his head, "hey bud!" He says handshaking someone.

I lift my head to see Colton. Right. Another reason why I hate this class.

"Hey Mike!" He then turns to look at me, "Johnson." He nods.

I didn't show him any sort of attention.

"With a chip on her shoulder." Colton says quietly and proceeds to sit down behind me.

I let out a long and loud sigh, "this is going to be a loooong class period." I say mostly to Mike.

"For you." Mike says.

"At least I know you're in this class now so I won't be so bored."

"Thanks bud!" Mike says reaching his fist out for me to tap with my fist.

_____

I lightly throw my brown paper bag lunch onto the short rectangular table. I pull the chair out from under it and sit down next to Jake. The seat next to me is empty. Across from me is Lilly and Ellie.

Ellie makes all girls insecure. Not on purpose though, absolutely not. She's actually the greatest friend a girl could ask for. She's a bitch to people who are mean to her or her friends. She defends her friends name even when they are not around. She gives you random compliments throughout the day. There for you whenever and wherever. She's also really outgoing.

Back to her making girls insecure. She's also drop dead gorgeous yet the only make up she wears is mascara to make her eye lashes longer. She usually shows up to school in a sweatshirt and leggings or shorts depending on the weather but she still makes it look really good.

A lot of girls would kill to have blue eyes and dirty blonde hair like her. Or a face shape and nose shape like her. Or a body like her. Or the perfect skin color between pale and tan like her. Or clear skin like her. It's me, I'm a lot of girls.

"What are you thinking about?" Jake asks catching me staring at my lunch bag that I haven't touched.

"School." I shrug. I push my glasses up then I proceed to open my lunch bag.

I can feel Jake's stare on me.

"Do you expect me to say more?" I ask him.

"A little bit more." He says showing me 'a little bit' with his hand.

"History is an Ass class . I hate it. It's boring but I literally don't know anything we're doing in the class."

"Well I'm no smart guy but if you help me with math I'll help you in History. And aren't you in an Honors History class anyways?"

"Just because I'm in Honors does not mean I know what's going on."

"Technically..."

"Yeah I guess. But I was good at it in middle school. Not in Junior year." I scrunch my nose up.

"Okay." Jake says holding his hands up. "I'll help you."

I then finally get to my turkey sandwich that my dad packed for me this morning. My dad always packs my lunch because he knows if he doesn't I'd be eating nothing.

"So hows everyone's day today?" Ellie asks.

"It's not bad but it could be better." I shrug.

"I found out Mike is in like half of my classes. That just made my year." Lilly says.

"Mike?" Ellie questions.

"Mike Law. Hockey player. Curley Blonde Hair, gorgeous green eyes."

"Somebody's got a crush." I say smiling.

"No I don't! I was just describing him!" Lilly defends.

"Okay, 'gorgeous green eyes'." Ellie mocks.

"Yeah because they are!"

"Tell me again you Don't have a crush on This dude?" Jake butts in.

I was about to take a bite out of my sandwich when two lunch trays are slammed onto our table.

"Hello!" Mike says taking a seat next to Lilly.

Lilly is now completely silent while Ellie next to her is silently dying. I myself, is also trying to hold in a laugh.

My excitement didn't last for long though.

"Nice fit." Colton says sitting down next to me.

I look down at my loose fitting brandy Melville top with the words "West Coast California" printed on it with a car that is over top of my tight fitting black long sleeve. Both good tucked into a pair of high waisted black jeans. I feel a bit insecure with the fact that I'm very basic because I also happen to be wearing white air forces.

"Thanks." I say fixing my glasses.

After studying my outfit I look over at Jake. He obviously looks a bit mad. I reach my hand over and rest it on his leg.

He reaches his own hand down and grabs my hand. He gives it a squeeze before putting my hand on my lap.

"I gotta go." He says. He then proceeds to get up and leave.

"This couple man. Always have chips on their shoulder." Colton says shaking his head and pointing his thumb in my direction.

"Shut up!" I say half playfully.

"Lia, I complimented your outfit."

"And I said thanks."

"You didn't even say hi to me."

"Oh I'm sorry." I clear my throat, "Hi Colton!" I smile.

"Why thank you." He smiles.

"Who's got a crush?" Mike asks innocently.

Everyone goes silent for a minute. Then Ellie and I burst out laughing as Lilly's face turns red.

We then stop laughing and I can hear Colton go "oh."

"Well, who is it?" Mike asks again being very serious.

"You'll have to find that out yourself." Colton says.

"I don't understand why you guys can't just tell me."

"Because we wouldn't tell other people if you have a crush." Ellie says.

"You're Just using that as an excuse!" Mike accuses.

"But she's got a good point." Lilly says after being silent for a good amount of time.

"Mike you're good at history right?" I ask.

"Yes."

"You have to help!" I plead.

"Mike is not a good person to go to for help." Colton says.

"Didn't Jake already say he would help you?" Ellie asks.

"He's Not in honors and not in the same class." I say.

"Understood." Ellie says.

"I can help you." Colton says. "I can stay on track." He looks over at Mike playfully glaring at him.

"Alright can I at least take a bit of my sandwich before Zoe comes over and ruins it." I ask completely ignoring that Colton had just offered to help. Zoe ruins everything. Including my relationship with food.

"Ugh Zoe Peyton?" Colton asks.

"The one and only." I say.

"I see she's got some other fans too." Colton says.

The whole lunch table burst out laughing.

It's been a long time.

_____

I walk into English class. Kind of excited knowing my boyfriend is in the class.

I don't enjoy English but I do like my teacher. She gives off motherly vibes. I talk to her about my problems sometimes.

I scan the room and my eyes land on Jake. The smile that appeared on my face disappears when I see Zoe is sitting next to him. They're also talking about something.

I shake it off and walk to the two of them. They immediately stop talking seeing me walk over.

"Hi." I say to Jake.

He gives me a small smile and a head nod. Nice way to greet your girlfriend.

I take a seat in front of him. I'm slightly embarrassed. Jake and I are silent, oh and Zoe too.

Then the bell rings.

"Alright class! I have a task for you! We will be starting a new book." Mrs. Merkel says. "It's called The Catcher in the Rye. You will have to do a project on it. Pick your partners."

In that moment Colton walks into the class. Oh yeah, he's in here too. I feel myself sink into my seat.

"Sorry Mrs. Merkel." He says.

"It's okay we were just getting started. Have a seat."

Of course she would let it slide. Colton takes a seat right next to me even though fifty percent of the class is empty.

"I will pass out your books and a packet of information about the project. You may move to sit next to your chosen partner." Mrs. Merkel then proceeds to say.

"You want to work together?" I hear Zoe say.

"Sure." Jake replies.

My poor heart.

Not to be that girl but a majority of the class are people that will hiss at you when you walk by. I have no clue who to work with.

I was about to raise my hand to ask Mrs. Merkel if I could work alone.

"Lia. Do you want to work together?" Colton asks.

"I guess." I sigh.

I try to focus my eyes to the front and not anywhere else.

"You sound so willing to."

Colton gets up and pushes his desk towards mine. I pull my laptop out of my bag and Colton does the same.

"A MacBook huh? Fancy." Colton says.

I look over to him to see that he also has a MacBook.

"Oh yeah definitely. A lot of people have one though." I say.

"Considering the kind of school we go to. A lot of people do have one."

Rich people, everywhere. That's all I have to say about my school.

"Jake." I hear Zoe say followed by giggles.

Oh my ears. They're ringing. I physically wince at her voice.

I look over at Colton to see he's making the same face.

"I can't stand her." He says.

"Me too. I can't stand you either." I add in.

"Well you're going to have to tolerate me."

_____

I'm packing my stuff up from my locker and scanning the hallway for Jake.

I feel a tap on my shoulder.

"Hey uh you don't have to take me home. I'm going to Alex's house." Jake says.

"Okay. Have fun." I smile at him.

He nods and the walks off.

I guess I'll hang out by myself until lax practice.

__________
•End•

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.3K 289 21
COMPLETE! give it a try! 🌸Ava is sunshine girl. On the first day of school she gets paired up in the wrong room filled with hockey boys. She meets h...
2.6K 32 27
Jocelyn Foster is a woman on a mission. Her mission, take the world of Women's Hockey by storm. She has put in the work. Countless hours of blood, sw...
1.6K 24 16
Charlie Smith is new to this years hockey team at Edgewood High. He's already making friends with the hockey team and surely enough attention from th...
7.9K 108 109
The story of two boys from very different worlds. Matthew Grayson; a boy who's been playing hockey his entire life, has his life uprooted and moved f...