Hockey Rivalry

By simplybookish

Merlia Johnson. A sixteen year old girl who grew up in a hockey family. Her dad is a hockey coach. Her brothe... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 9

15.8K 194 235
By simplybookish

Lia

Colton's eyes focus on mine. My leg starts shaking up and down under the table. I look everywhere but his eyes.

I see Connie slowly walk back to the table with a note pad and a smile. I give her a small smile back.

"Mer." Colton says gently tapping my shaking leg with his leg. My head snaps in his direction. "Yes. I did smoke."

I press my lips together and nod.

"What would you kids like to drink?"

"I'll have the usual." Colton says.

"Of course." Connie smiles and then she looks at me.

"Water." I smile.

"Alright I'll be out in a minute." And Connie walks away.

I look down at the menu. It's all typical American food. What I really want is a fat hamburger but I'm going to order a salad.

"Do you know what you're getting?" Colton asks.

"Yeah." I shut the menu.

I start to overthink about the fact that I asked him that question. He's definitely mad at me. Because I am a bit anxious I tap my fingers on the table.

I stare at a picture of the restaurant that was taken close to when it first opened. I try to avoid looking at Colton.

After about my fiftieth tap Colton gently places his hand on top of mine to stop the tapping. I look at his hand on mine.

"I'm sorry." I immediately say.

"For what?" He asks.

"I feel like I'm upsetting you."

Colton lifts my hand up slightly and locks his fingers with mine. He traces soothing circles on my hand with his thumb. I look up at him. This isn't weird for him?

"You're not, Mer. If that's why you were so anxious you can stop tapping your fingers now." I nod my head. "You're okay."

I feel myself smile. We slowly pull our hands apart and I rest mine on my lap.

"Why did you do this?" I ask.

"Do what?"

"Just hang out with me. I'm sure we had some sort of mutual feeling that did not involve being overly nice."

"You Just seemed like you needed an escape. Some fresh air." He shrugs, "so I thought I'd take you around and do what I do when I need some fresh air."

"You're not going to take me to catch an STD are you?" My face morphs into disgust.

"No. That's a different kind of escape but that's not fresh air." He smiles.

Connie comes back over with our drinks and takes our order.

_____
(⚠️)

I stare at the plate of salad in front of me. Usually I wouldn't have a hard time eating but for some reason at restaurants I have a really hard time.

Colton has already started to eat his food. I haven't even picked up my fork. I just poured ranch on it.

"Mer?" Colton says.

"Yes."

"You can do it." He encourages.

"It's always been hard for me at restaurants."

"Okay what do you do when you eat at home or at school? Tell me everything."

"Well. At home I'm either talking to my dad or watching something on my laptop or phone. At school I'm talking to my friends."

"Okay. So you basically distract yourself in a way."

"I guess."

"So talk to me. Tell me about something."

"Uhh. The time I went to school with taped up broken glasses." I begin.

"I'm interested." He says and we both laugh.
(⚠️)
_____

"That was actually really good." I say as we walk out of the small diner.

"I know. I come here all the time." Colton opens the passenger door for me.

"Really? How many other flings do you bring here?" I ask playfully.

Colton shuts the door and runs to the drivers side. I buckle up as he gets in.

"I've never brought anyone except one person here now two including you." He says buckling his seatbelt and starting the car. "Now we're off to another one of my favorite place."

"The rink?" I tease.

"In a way." He looks at me and smirks.

"What got you into hockey?" I ask and Colton starts driving to our next location.

"I don't know. I've played since I was a kid and I don't remember why I started but I do know the reason why I don't stop is because I love this sport a lot."

"What's it like having my dad as a coach?" I laugh to myself in my head.

"He's a great coach. Trains us to be winners. One thing is I'm not a fan of your boyfriend but your dad made him my co-captain."

"I'm not a fan of my boyfriend either." I say quietly half hoping Colton wouldn't hear.

"What?" He says.

"Nothing. You drive really slow." I look at him, his eyes are focused on the road ahead.

After I said that I could see Colton become tense. I think I offended him.

"Sorry." He whispers.

_____

We arrive at the rink and I'm a bit confused.

"You know we can't get inside right?" I say.

"I know. Just follow me." Colton says getting out of the car and I do too.

I follow Colton as he walks to the side of the building. I've only been a few times to. He walks up to a steep ladder connected to the side of the building that leads to the roof.

"Sir, you Are insane to think that I'm going to climb that!" I say crossing my arms.

"You'll be fine. It's all worth it in the end." He says starting to climb up the ladder.

I don't follow him. I'm too scared. Colton gets about three steps up the ladder then looks at me.

"You can go first then I'll go a little after you. So if you fall I would break your fall." He climbs down. "I dare you." He smirks.

My eyes widen then I glare. "Fine." I huff then cross my arms.

I walk towards the ladder and start to climb up. I keep chanting don't look down over and over in my head. I continue to climb up and next think I know it, I'm there.

I jump down gently from the little ledge. Colton follows shortly after.

The roof has the ac unit fan stuff. I'm a Highschool girl I don't worry about that stuff. There is also a door into the building.

"So you trespass to come here?" I tease.

"Yes I do." He answers.

He walks to the edge of the roof and I follow. This place really doesn't overlook anything except for our dumpster outback and trees. But it's peaceful. I rest my arms on the ledge and lean against it since it's almost 5 feet. I was tall enough to see over it.

"Don't tell your dad." Colton whispers in my ear.

I feel myself shiver.

The cold fall wind blows and I wrap my arms around myself. It's almost dark now because of the time change but aside from the sound of nature everything was just so quiet.

"Everything is so peaceful here." I whisper. I'm afraid of interrupting the silence.

"I know."

"How often do you come here?" I ask.

"As often as I can. I started coming over a year ago." He says.

"Why here?"

"Don't ask questions." He whispers.

Then we fall into a comfortable silence.

_____

"Jake is blowing up my phone!" I yell.

Colton is currently driving us back to my house. He won't go over sixty.

I pick up Jake's call after his thousands of message.

"Hello?" I say.

"Where are you?" He asks.

"I told you I was hanging out with Colton. We're on our way home right now."

"Why are you with him for so long?"

"What kind of question is that?"

"A question that needs an answer." Jake's voice sounds like he's getting impatient.

"I told you I was hanging out with him."

"Why for so long?"

"Jake. What do you mean? We were just hanging out!"

"You hung out with him longer than you would hang out with me."

I bite my tongue. My heart feels like it's beating in my throat.

"I'm on my way home." Is all I say before hanging up.

Jake is pissed. I start to become extremely anxious and feel like crying.

Colton reaches across the center of the car and grabs my hand. He traces circles on my hand with his thumb.

"It's going to be okay." He says softly. His eyes completely glued to the road.

My phone rings again and I pick it up.

"I'm waiting for you at your house." Jake says. "I'm sleeping over tonight."

"Okay." My voice shakes slightly.

"See you on a bit." Jake says and then hangs up.

"He's at my house." I say.

"And when we pull up I'm not going to leave till you are for sure okay."

"You don't have to do that."

"But I will." He turns onto my street.

He then removes his hand from mine and I cross my arms.

I see my driveway in the distance and it's crowded with cars. I can make out Jake's figure leaning on his at the end of the drive.

When we get close Colton pulls into the drive right next to Jakes car.

I hurry and get out and Jake immediately comes walking to me.

Colton turns off his car engine and gets out too.

Jake gives him an incredibly nasty look.

Jake grabs my shirt and clenches my shirt into his fists. He pulls me towards him.

"There's a Party tomorrow. You are going with me and leaving with me. Understood?"

"Only if I can bring Lilly." I say.

Jake looks at me with mean eyes. His eyes that I love, well used to.

I've never protested Jake this way.

"Lia, you've become a real bitch after getting to know this shit." Jake points to Colton who is getting my stuff out of his backseat.

I breath through my nose trying not to cry. Jake glares at me. His grip on my shirt tightening.

I can feel my bottom lip quiver and my eyes flood with tears.

"Mer." I hear Colton say.

"So he's got a special nickname for you now?" Jake clenches his teeth.

I grab Jakes hand and forcefully push them away from me. His grip on my shirt ripped away. I few tears slip my eyes but I wipe then away.

I walk around Colton's car and walk up to Colton. I am fuming.

I gently grab my stuff from him and I can feel Jake's glare on the both of us.

"Come and see my brother Colton." I say. He's met Alex before.

Both boys follow me into my house.

"Yo little sis!" I hear my brother say. "Why are your eyes showering?" Alex appears around the corner from the living room. That was not funny. But I force out a laugh anyways.

"Sad movie." I shrug and let out a small laugh.

"Aye little dude!" Alex exclaims once his eyes land on Colton.

Colton and Alex pull each other into a hug and then make their way to the living room.

I make my way up to my bedroom and Jake follows behind. I'm pissed at him.

I reach my room and throw my lax stuff in its usual corner.

I feel Jake wrap his arms around me from behind.

"I don't want to lose you. Don't fall for someone else please." Jake begs. My heart sinks.

__________
•End•

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

57.3K 1.9K 44
It all started with a kiss... CALLUM SLADE had only known one thing: hockey. That's until he met her. Always in pink and spreading sunshine, Kate Bla...
426 23 9
Bella is an overachiever who loves to party. Everyone thinks of her as the innocent girl who could never do harm. Alex is a know-it-all, cold-hearted...
7.8K 105 109
The story of two boys from very different worlds. Matthew Grayson; a boy who's been playing hockey his entire life, has his life uprooted and moved f...
2.1M 66.1K 51
"No amount of coffee could keep me awake like you do." Jake is the hockey player with the hot girlfriend. Katie is the girl with a name no one remem...