Hockey Rivalry

By simplybookish

Merlia Johnson. A sixteen year old girl who grew up in a hockey family. Her dad is a hockey coach. Her brothe... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 20

13K 166 74
By simplybookish

Lia

My eyes slowly open but then shut because the sun was blinding me.

Everyone is supposed to be going to my house at five.

I roll onto my back and sit up. I rub my eyes and grab my glasses and put them on. I look around trying to process everything.

I'm still in Colton's room but I'm the only one in his bed.

Colton and I fell asleep watching some dumb Christmas movie on Netflix.

"Good morning beautiful." Colton says walking out of his bathroom. He's wearing the same thing he was yesterday.

"Morning." I say swinging my legs over the side of the bed and pain shoots through my body. I'm sore from lax. I let out a groan.

"What's wrong?" Colton asks rushing to my side. Cute.

"I'm just sore." I rub my arms finding that it's a bit chilly in here.

"Are you cold?" He asks.

"Just a Little."

Colton gets up and walk into his bathroom. Stepping right past my jacket. Okay.

He walks back out with a light grey hoodie in his hand. He slips it over my head and I push my arms through.

His hoodie has our school name and Eagles Hockey printed right under it in blue. Colton sits down next to my and rubs my leg.

"Smokin." He says. I come to the conclusion that he says that whenever he really likes something I do or wear.

"I agree." I say. "I need to brush my teeth." I say standing up and stretching out my sore muscles. His hoodie falling down over my butt, it's slightly oversized.

I feel a small smack on my butt.

"Your Ass is so beautiful!" Colton exclaims wrapping his arms around my lower waist. His hands maneuver under my shirt and his hoodie.

How do I respond to that? Not sure. Instead I push his arms away and walk over to my bag. I open it and realize I did not pack my toothbrush.

"Colton. I need a toothbrush." I say.

"Okay." He opens his door and pokes his head out, "Mommy!" He yells through the house, "Mer needs a toothbrush!"

He calls Maria Mommy. How adorable.

He pulls his face back into his room and shuts the door.

"Mommy?" I ask.

"Yeah." He says rubbing the back of his head. His cheeks are pink with embarrassment.

"I find it cute." I say planting a kiss on his nose.

There's a knock on his door. Colton opens it and grabs the unopened toothbrush in Maria's hand. He tries to shut it but she stops him.

"How did you sleep last night Lia?" Maria asks. Her eyes travel down to Colton's hoodie. A small smile appears on her face.

"I slept really well." I say honestly.

"Yeah you move every five seconds." Colton says.

"You guys slept in the same bed?" A smirk spreads across Maria's face.

Colton's eyes widen when he realizes what he said.

"No she's just very loud when she moves. I heard her moving." Terrible excuse Colton.

"Colton." Maria raises her eyebrows at him, "I don't care actually. I think it's cute."

"Well mom." He says crossing his arms, "we only slept in the same bed. Nothing else."

"Mm. Okay." Maria doesn't believe him.

"We'll see you at breakfast okay bye!" Colton says gently pushing the door shut on Maria.

"Here you go." He says handing me my toothbrush.

"Thank you." I say walking to his bathroom.

"I get to have my girls toothbrush at my houuussee." Colton sings.

Not sure why he's excited. My heart does a little dance to the words 'my girl'.

_____

I'm driving Colton and I back to my house. This is our second night together. Except tonight we won't have any alone time.

I took a shower at his house and decided to wear the same thing I was wearing this morning. Minus the cami under his hoodie of course. Shorts in the wintertime, not a good mix obviously. But I'm only going to be outside for a total of ten seconds.

Colton is wearing a long sleeve black top and adidas bottoms. We both are dressed down.

"Ooo. I love this song!" Colton says reaching out to my radio that's playing songs on my playlist and turning the volume up.

'In My Head' by Jason Derulo blasts through the car.

Colton does a little cute dance to it as he sings along. I find myself singing along too.

We arrive at my house just when the song ends and I turn off my car.

We both get out grabbing our bags.

"You're really good at singing." He says.

"So Are you." I say honestly.

Colton's cheeks turn pink. He's blushing. I've never seen him blush.

I bring my hand up and squeeze his cheeks.

"You are so adorable." I say in a baby voice.

He grabs my hand and pulls it away from his face, he intertwines our fingers.

I unlock the front door and push it open and we both walk in.

My dad sits at his usual spot in the kitchen.

"Hey Lia! Did you have fun at Lilly's?" He asks shifting his eyes up from his phone to look at me. Colton and I pull our hands apart.

"Uh, did I forget to tell you?" I ask innocently.

"Yes. Luckily Maria sent me a text." My dad says, "just don't forget next time." He says eyeing the both of us.

"Sorry dad. I won't."

Colton and I walk upstairs to my room. We both throw our bags on my bed.

I stand in front of my mirror and observe myself. I hate the way I look.

"Oh cool!" I hear Colton say.

I turn and see that he has my ukulele in his lap. He starts strumming the chords to "Hey Soul Sister." One of the easier songs to play.

He starts singing. His voice sounds so good it makes me feel emotional. Makes me feel all sorts of things. He looks down at the ukulele singing and smiling.

"Join me Mer." He looks up. at me and keeps strumming.

I sit down next to him and start singing. Colton starts harmonizing. A smile spreads across my face.

I never knew. I wouldn't have guessed either.

Colton stops singing for a few seconds giving me a short solo. Then he joins back in.

This is so attractive.

I look up from his hands strumming the ukulele at his face. He looks so happy. His feet are tapping on the floor and his head slightly nods to the ukulele and our singing.

The song comes to and end and we both look at each other. His grey eyes are light. And he has the biggest smile on his face.

"That sounded amazing." I say. I'm completely amazed, "where did you learn this?"

"I bought a cheap ukulele and guitar like freshman year and I've been teaching myself."

"Where did you learn to harmonize?"

"Many, many, many, lousy YouTube lessons."

"You're so Good why don't you ever..." my lips are parted and I look at him in awe.

"My main priority is hockey. Singing is just a Dream that will probably never come true."

"But what about the NHL?"

"I don't have plans to join it. If I do get some sort of offer though. I might take it, I might not considering the circumstances at that time." He sets my ukulele down in its usual spot, "what about you Mer?"

"Stage fright. I'm also not the best at the ukulele or singing." I laugh at myself.

"I can't judge the ukulele playing but I know that you are an amazing singer by what I've heard. You also didn't hold back when we were just singing."

I look down at my hands.

"I don't I guess I just felt so comfortable with you."

Colton tilts my head up to look at him. His eyes dance with happiness. He pushes our lips together. This kiss feels different. He was kissing me gently, and passionately.

I smile against his lips.

_____

We have all somehow decided on a game of freeze tag.

I stand frozen in the middle of my basement waiting for someone to unfreeze me.

Girls against boys.

Lilly reaches out to try and tag me but Logan Tags her.

Poopie.

Across the room. Kylie jumps on Logan's back.

"Haha. You're Frozen bitch." She says running off to her next victim.

Ellie unfreezes us both and I start running to the closest guy to me which happens to be the goofy ginger, Toby.

"I don't think so Lia." He says running behind the couch.

I run to the couch and jump on it. Right before I could smack my hand on him someone tackles me and we both collapse on the couch. The cold and refreshing scent coming off of this person tells me it's Colton.

"I agree with Toby." He says our of breath, his breath fanning my face.

"Hey some of us want to sleep on that couch!" Molly says and then she follows it with a smack on Colton's back meaning he is now frozen and she quickly tags my hand.

"That's too bad Colton." I say rolling out from under him.

Then I go back to chasing Toby. He's moved to hiding by the snack bar.

I run towards him and lunge at him making him lose his balance. I tag him.

"Haha take That mother Trucker." I say hovering over him.

I turn around and find that all the boys are frozen. Molly taps Ellie to unfreeze her.

I pump both my fists in the air.

"We win!" I yell.

All the boys move from their positions and groan.

"That's only because there are more of you." Toby wines.

"Okay but what does loser have to do?" Colton asks sitting up.

"Watch Mean Girls." Kylie says excited.

Not a bad idea.

"Oh man." Mike says, "cut me some slack guys I have a girlfriend now. I'm about to watch this all the time." He climbs over the back of the couch and slides down.

"I usually fall asleep during or right after the first movie and I was hoping I'd get to watch a horror movie before I checked in for the night." Logan says.

"Yeah me too." Colton says.

We all gather onto the couch.

"Loser watches Mean Girls with us!" Lilly says.

"Fine." All the Boys say.

As I search for the movie on the tv everyone gets their stuff out for bed. Boys have the floor and the girls have the couch.

I find the movie and click on it and it starts to play. Everyone gets situated. I'm sleeping on one of the U couches legs and right next to me on the floor is Colton. The middle of the couch is Lilly, Ellie, then Molly. Ellie has to sleep right below Lilly's feet which I feel bad for her about. On the other leg is Kylie.

I get up and dim the lights. Remembering that Colton isn't a fan of the dark and I go back to my part of the couch and get comfortable.

Everyone is silent. The movie sounds through the basement. The only noises from us is our breathing.

_____

It's halfway through the second movie, probably around three in the morning at this point.

I'm the only one awake.

"Mer?" Colton whispers.

Maybe not.

"Hmm."

"I'm coming to cuddle." He says getting up from where he was laying.

I scoot over giving him as much room as I can.

"What about when they wake up and find us like this?" I ask.

"Then we'll make up some excuse." He says shuffling his body next to mine. Careful not to wake anyone up.

Since the leg of the couch isn't big enough for the both of us. I move on my side and so does Colton. We wrap our arms around each other and I can feel my eyelids getting heavy.

"Goodnight Mer." Hi whispers kissing the top of my head. He gently pulls my glasses off of my face and leans over and sets them on the coffee table.

Darkness.

_____

"Shh don't be so loud!" Someone whispers.

My eyes slowly open. A blurry Ellie and Toby hover over me.

"Morning!" Toby whispers.

I sit up and lean over Colton's sleeping body and grab my glasses.

"Morning." I Stretch my arms over my head.

"What's going on here?" Ellie asks smirking.

I look down at Colton. Still sleeping. His arms rest limp around me.

"I had a bad dream and Colton came to comfort me." I say trying to sound casual.

"I forgot you have night terrors." Ellie says, "all those sleepover you've woken me up because you were crying really loud." She smiles at me.

I love Ellie.

_____
•End•

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

185K 3.1K 67
"Why do you play hockey?" He asked with a sense of urgency to his voice," Callahan why do you play hockey?" She shook her head, not able to find the...
425 23 9
Bella is an overachiever who loves to party. Everyone thinks of her as the innocent girl who could never do harm. Alex is a know-it-all, cold-hearted...
254K 6.3K 39
Colton glared at her. "Not in a million years would I ever date you." Maya is the new girl and she has an odd description; bitchy, careless, funny, a...