Senator and Soldier

By LeeraIvy

Senator Riyo Chuchi is beginning to lose her faith in the Republic. After being the target of several assassi... More

Prologue
Unwanted Protection
Friendly Faces
The Price
Dissatisfying Escape
Perilous Plans
Transformations
Discovery
Traitors Revealed
Justice Served
Delicate Gift
Into Our Own Hands
Heartfelt Interrogations
Deserter Ally
Republic Commandos
Uncomfortable But Welcome
Trying Meetings
Explosions
Numerous Excuses
Shrine
Embarrassing Endeavors
Preparations
Festival of Light
Taking Chances
Double Sided Warning
Shattered Ball
Tick Tock
Illogical Reasoning
Uncharted Course
Healer's Touch
Alleged Conspirators
Resolved Resignation
Broken Trust
The Beginning of Change
Difficult Decisions
Gnawing Anger
Temple Bombing
Timid Steps
Take Two
A Likely Story
Suspects Renamed
Code Red
Social Calls
Traitors In Our Midst
Dark Clouds
Friends and Enemies
Multiple Dilemmas
Insinuations
Surprises
Wonderful Turn of Events
The Unknown
Hardened Resolve
Growing Frustration
Dark Revelations
Hidden Plans
Burning Fears
Strained Loyalties
Darkness Calls
Mending Pains
Devotion
Epilogue
Thank You
Broken Codes
Walking New Paths

The Order

1K 34 18
By LeeraIvy

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Coruscant Guard Barracks
Commander Fox

His vision was shrouded in darkness. Fox stumbled along blindly, trying to find something. He didn't know what. A laugh cackled through his ears.

"You cannot escape it," a familiar voice said. Fox couldn't remember the name or the face that went along with the voice.

"Yes, I can!" He increased his pace until he was running.

"No." Fox cried out as something knocked him off balance. He crashed onto the ground and flipped onto his back. A figure rose before him. He could see nothing more than the person's chin. Their mouth opened in a laugh as they raised two hands.

Bolts of lightning shot out of their fingertips. Fox convulsed as it coursed through him. He panted for breath when the electricity subsided. "Who...are you?"

"I warned you not to let yourself become the downfall of the Republic. You would have been wise to remember those words." Spasms wracked his body once more. Blue electricity spiked through the air around him, illuminating his tormentor.

Fox jerked awake in a cold sweat. His limbs ached as though the electricity in his dream had been real. He sat up and ran a hand through his hair. Clay muttered something in his sleep and rolled over. A second later, he cracked an eye open.

"Are you all right?" Clay's voice was slurred with drowsiness.

"Fine. Just a bad dream," Fox replied. He jumped out of bed and pulled his armor on. Baize was still snoring soundly.

"Why didn't you go to Riyo's?"

Fox held a finger to his lips and jerked his head towards Baize. "She said she wasn't feeling well and I figured I needed to stay here for a few nights anyway. I'm amazed Baize hasn't asked questions yet."

Clay yawned and rolled over. "I just tell him you take night shifts a lot. He thinks you're an insomniac."

The corner's of Fox's mouth twitched up a moment. He grabbed his helmet and holstered his blasters, after making sure they were set to stun. "I'm going to make my rounds at the Jedi Temple."

Clay remained silent for a moment, then sighed and stood up. "I'm coming." He pulled his silver hair from his face and quickly tugged his armor on. The two of them stepped into a hallway and started towards a landing pad. "Are you sure you're all right? You've been acting weird for the past few days. Riyo mentioned you had been acting just as weird when she saw you at the Senate Building."

Fox rubbed the back of his neck. "I feel fine. I'm not exactly sure what happened that day."

"That's what I mean. Don't you find it odd that you can't remember anything?"

"A little, but I suppose I was just tired and under a lot of stress. It's not uncommon for me to forget a few things when that happens."

Clay raised a skeptical brow. "Yes, a few things, but not an entire day's worth of things."

"I remember talking to Baize."

"I just think you should get checked out. There might be something going on."

Fox shook his head. They stepped out onto a landing pad and jumped into a speeder. Fox started up the engines and they were soon flying towards the Jedi Temple. "I'm not going to a medical center. There's nothing wrong with me."

Clay sighed and slid his helmet on. "All right. Suit yourself." They didn't speak the rest of the way to the Temple. Fox landed the speeder shortly and they started making their rounds.

The Temple was bustling with activity, despite the early hours. Padawans and younglings rushed throughout the halls. Some of them gave Fox and Clay bright smiles. Others appeared more nervous.

"I heard that Master Kenobi is close to finding General Grievous," Fox heard one padawan whisper.

"Really? Where?"

"My master said he went to Utapau. General Grievous will be dead or arrested by the end of the day!"

They let out excited laughs and scurried along. Clay elbowed Fox. "What do you make of that? Today may be the day that the war ends."

Fox grinned beneath his helmet. "I think that's great."

"Do you have any plans for after the war?"

"Nothing is set in stone yet. Riyo wants to continue being a Senator. I might talk to Chancellor Palpatine about resigning from the army or about a few of our rules."

Clay nodded. "If you resign, I'll miss you."

"You don't want to?"

"No. My place is with our brothers. I'm never going to have what you and Riyo, or Jairo and Mairin have. I'm better off serving the Republic, as I always have."

Fox placed a hand on Clay's shoulder. "If I'm allowed to resign, I'll put in a good word for you. Maybe you'll be promoted in my place."

He heard Clay give a muffled laugh. "Thanks. I'd love to be grumpy all the time."

"Hey, I'm not grumpy all the time. Only some of the time."

"Ah, I forgot. Riyo manages to make you smile."

Fox rolled his eyes. "So do you. Come on. We'd better move down to the hangar level." Clay chuckled and followed him into a lift.

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

Riyo and Padmé sat on a sofa, reading over a few reports together. Padmé sighed and cast aside her datapad shortly. Riyo glanced at her.

"I'm sorry. It's just...things have been hectic lately," Padmé said.

"What's going on?" Riyo set down her datapad.

Padmé bit her lip before replying. "Anakin has been worrying incessantly."

"About?"

"Everything. The Jedi Council asked him to spy on the Chancellor. They put him on the Council, but refused to grant him the rank of Master. Anakin doesn't trust them and he thinks they don't trust him."

"Why would the Jedi Council ask Anakin to spy on Chancellor Palpatine?"

"I don't know. He wouldn't tell me. It's frustrating."

Riyo nodded slowly. "There are things Fox won't tell me. I've learned that he'll tell me when he's ready. No amount of prying can force him to open up. Maybe Anakin is the same?"

"Maybe."

Riyo picked up her datapad once more, then frowned. "I just thought of something. If the war ends soon, will we continue with the plan for the fundraisers?"

"I don't see why we wouldn't. It will take years for the Republic to pay back its debt and gain new funds thanks to the war."

"Others may not see it that way."

Padmé nodded. "Well, I hope they do. It will make the transition much easier."

"I'd better be going. Che Amanwe and I were going to have a meeting with Chairman Papanoida this afternoon." Riyo stood and gave Padmé a smile, before leaving the apartment.

She reached hers shortly. Delaney was waiting for her inside. "Have you heard the news, my lady?" Del exclaimed.

"What news?"

"Master Kenobi has killed General Grievous! The Separatists are scattering!"

Riyo grinned excitedly. "That's wonderful news!"

"Indeed. Che Amanwe is in your office. I just wanted to tell you first." Delaney backed away as Riyo headed into her office.

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Building
Commander Fox

Fox read over the report displayed above the holotable. News had come in minutes earlier, announcing General Kenobi's victory. Clay and Baize stood beside him, reading over his shoulder.

"Does the Chancellor know of this?" Baize asked.

"I sent the report to him. He should know everything by now. Besides, General Windu was going to inform him as well, I heard," Fox replied.

"What do we do?"

He thought for a moment. "I suppose we wait for orders. Let's finish making our rounds."

Fox led the way out of the room. They entered the crimson halls of the Senate Building and started walking. A few senators occupied the halls, but they were vacant for the most part. It was eerily silent.

Fox glanced outside, where the sun had begun to set. The Chancellor's private landing pad came into view. There was a shuttle waiting there, along with a Jedi starfighter. Fox narrowed his eyes.

"I thought General Windu was speaking with the Chancellor," Clay said. "That shuttle is rather big for one Jedi."

"Not to mention a starfighter," Baize added.

"I don't like it." Fox increased his pace. "Let's get to the Chancellor's office."

They hurried through the halls. Fox paused right before they reached the office. A door opened and General Skywalker left. A dark look had filled his eyes. He glanced at them, but said nothing. He made his way out to the landing platform and jumped into the starfighter.

Fox didn't waste anymore time. He ran into the Chancellor's office with Baize and Clay right behind him. Chancellor Palpatine stood behind his desk, with a dark hood pulled over his face.

"Your Excellency, are you all right?" Fox asked.

Chancellor Palpatine lifted his face, revealing a hideously deformed man. "I was right. The Jedi are attempting to overthrow the Republic. Master Windu attacked me and this," he gestured to his deformed features, "was the result. Thank goodness for Anakin. If he hadn't come..." Chancellor Palpatine shook his head.

"What are your orders, Sir?" Fox asked, straightening immediately.

"I will call an emergency Senate meeting. You two," he gestures to Baize and Clay, "will escort me there. Commander Fox, I have sent General Skywalker to the Jedi Temple to cease their uprising. I want you to take all of your men to assist him." The Chancellor's eyes flashed gold for a moment. "It is time. Execute Order 66."

Fox closed his eyes as a terrible throbbing split through his skull. He released a breath and the pain slackened slightly. "Yes, my Lord." He left the office and headed towards the nearest landing platform, leaving Clay and Baize behind with the Chancellor.

Fox swallowed hard. I can't believe he was right. I should have paid more attention to the signs. He shook his head. There's no time for that now. The Jedi must be stopped before the Republic is destroyed. He hardened his gaze into a scowl beneath his helmet. They're going to pay for wasting the lives of my brothers.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

426K 8.1K 111
You are Obi-Wan Kenobi's padawan during the middle of the clone wars. After a battle that almost costs you your life, everything changes. Gender neut...
9.5K 440 48
For the past several years, Ania Bonteri has lived in seclusion on the planet Mortis, learning to control her new powers. From the planet, she has wa...
112K 3.5K 69
Anakin Skywalker could never forget his apprentice, Ahsoka Tano, but the Jedi Order will waste no time mourning the loss of the ex-padawan. With a ne...
9.4K 352 50
Jedi Knight Taska Rokanh must face the horrors of war and attachment while trying to balance what the council tells her with what she knows is right...