Perilous Plans

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Building
Riyo Chuchi

    Riyo glanced at Mairin, who was seated behind her, along with a few other handmaidens. Mairin drummed her fingers on the arms of her seat, absentmindedly. They had been in session for several hours now. Even she had to admit that she'd zoned out a time or two.

    Riyo glanced around the vast chambers. The Chancellor's committee was still giving their report on their ongoing investigation. Not that they had anything to report. Riyo sighed and rolled her eyes. She spotted Commander Fox seated a few levels up. He was likely waiting to rejoin her as soon as the session was over. She couldn't imagine that he found it anymore enjoyable than she did.

    "Therefore, it is our final conclusion that the Trade Federation is innocent of any claims of Separatist involvement," one of the committee members was saying. "They have retained their neutrality in the war."

    "Thank you," Chancellor Palpatine inclined his head. The seat holding the committee drifted back towards its socket. "I trust that the findings of this committee will be satisfactory to all and will ease any remaining suspicions." Riyo could feel his piercing gaze turn towards her seat. "This session is adjourned."

    Riyo let out a hiss of annoyance and quickly left the seat. Her guards and handmaidens followed close behind. Mairin fell in step with her. "Are you all right?" She kept her voice low.

    "Just fine. I haven't forgotten what that Nautolan told us. The committee is lying. I know it."

    "What will you do?" Mairin raised her eyebrows curiously.

    "I don't know, yet." Riyo spotted Fox waiting a short distance ahead. He joined the group as they passed by. Senator Amidala caught up to them as well.

    "Riyo, would you mind accompanying me to my apartments this evening? I'll be there alone tonight. My handmaidens are preparing for my trip to Naboo, and your company would be appreciated," Padmé said with a kind smile.

    "Of course." Riyo smiled back. "You're all dismissed," she said to her entourage. The guards and handmaidens bowed their heads respectfully and fell back. Commander Fox remained, however. Riyo stifled a sigh, knowing she likely couldn't rid herself of him.

    "Commander, I can assure you that Senator Chuchi will be perfectly safe in my apartments," Padmé said firmly, noticing her distress.

    "I don't doubt that, Senator, but I still have an assignment. She is under my protection until I'm told otherwise," Fox replied.

    Padmé gave Riyo a helpless look as they stepped out onto a landing pad and boarded a shuttle. A golden protocol droid was waiting for them inside. The flight across the city was blissfully short. They reached Padmé's apartments in no time.

    "You can change into one of my outfits if you like," Padmé offered.

    Riyo nodded and followed her into her chambers and massive closet. They each changed out of their formal attire and into more simple and comfortable clothes. Riyo left her hair pinned up, though, while Padmé removed her elaborate wig and braided her curly brown hair.

    "He really does take his job seriously," Padmé said at last.

    "Yes, he does."

    "So, you had something to tell me?"

    Riyo nodded and sat down on a bench, while Padmé browsed through her array of clothing. "I've been investigating the Trade Federation myself. I went to the Lower City and learned that are members of the Federation who are supporting the Separatists. I didn't get any names, but my informant said they're on Cato Neimoidia."