The Price

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Apartments
Commander Fox

Early the next morning, Fox was startled awake by Senator Chuchi. He sat up, feeling somewhat disgruntled. Senator Chuchi gave him an apologetic grin. "Get up. We're going to the Lower City."

Fox blinked his eyes in disbelief. "I'm sorry, what?"

"I want to go to the Lower City."

"Why?" He arched an eyebrow.

"Because I might learn something there." She tossed him his helmet. Fox tucked it under an arm and stood.

"I don't think that's a good idea. You need to let the Chancellor's committee handle this situation. By investigating, you're just putting yourself in more danger."

Senator Chuchi crossed her arms and raised her eyebrows. "You can't stop me from going."

"No, but I can report you to the Senate Guards and order them to bar your attempts to leave."

Her mouth dropped open, then shut in a frustrated expression. She placed a hand on her hip and pinched the bridge of her nose, as though collecting her thoughts.

"I know what I'm doing is dangerous, but I have to. I'm sorry, but I don't trust the Chancellor or his judgement. I most certainly don't trust his committee. Besides, I'm not the only senator to do something like this. Senator Amidala does things like this all of the time. One of my handmaidens is coming with too and we'll be going in disguise. No one will know who I am." She paused again. "I want to investigate their operations in the Black Market."

"Absolutely not." Fox crossed his arms and glared at her.

Her golden eyes flashed with frustration. "You were assigned to be my bodyguard, not my babysitter."

"It seems like you need a babysitter," he muttered to himself. "You can't go to the Lower City and you certainly can't go poking around in the Black Market."

Senator Chuchi raised her head and gave him a long look. "Fine. If you won't come with, then I'll go find Padawan Tano. She's usually willing to help someone who needs it." She whirled on her heel and headed back out of the room.

"Commander Tano isn't on Coruscant," Fox called after her.

"Then there are plenty of other Jedi who can help!"

Fox let out a disgusted groan. "How does Thorn handle these people?" He scrubbed at his face, then slipped his helmet on.

Clay was waiting outside of the door. "She seemed upset."

"She's making me upset," Fox snapped. He brushed past his brother and headed towards the Senator's landing pad.

Senator Chuchi and one of her handmaidens were inside her speeder already. They wore simple outfits with large hoods that could cover their faces. Fox hated to admit it, but they had made a wise choice in disguises. Senator Chuchi hid a smirk as he climbed into the speeder behind them. He caught a glimpse of the handmaiden elbowing the senator.

"This can't take too long," the maid said. "You have a session later this afternoon."

"Remind me when it's time to leave," the Senator replied.

The handmaiden turned around and extended a hand to Fox. "I'm Mairin. I'm sorry about my lady's stubbornness. It was actually my idea and she's hooked on it."

"Nice to meet you."

"I met your friends last night. They seem nice enough," Mairin said. "Although one of them, Jairo, I think, didn't say anything. What's the story there?"