Explosions

Coruscant: 20 BBY
79's
Riyo Chuchi

"It was towards the beginning of the war," Archer began. "It was Jairo's third mission after being deployed from Kamino. His squad was tasked with escorting a Republic ambassador to a meeting somewhere. On the way there, they were all captured by Separatists."

Archer paused and glanced back at Jairo and Mairin. Sorrow flickered through his gaze. "Jairo never told me where they were taken or how long they were there. He just told me that he remembered hours of torture and interrogation. He said that one day, they did something different. Instead of droids, a woman came. He later found out it was Ventress. Ventress...used the Force on him. She made him tell her everything. Jairo didn't know what had happened until it was too late. It cost the lives of his entire squad and the ambassador. Jairo was found before Ventress had the chance to kill him."

"He spent months on Kamino, where he met me. It was a while before Jairo and I actually became friends, but when we found out that we'd both be coming here, we decided it'd be a good idea to stick together. Jairo told me what happened by writing everything down and having me read it. He was mute before I met him." Archer noticed Riyo's confused look. "He can talk, but he chooses not to. He told me that as soon as he reached Kamino, he made a vow to never speak again. He hopes that by doing this, he won't be able to betray his brothers or the Republic ever again."

"That's awful," Riyo said when it seemed Archer had finished.

"It is, but he's recovering."

"So he's been mute for three years, then?" Clay asked.

"Nearly," Archer replied.

Riyo thought for a moment. "Does Mairin know?"

Archer shrugged. "Jairo asked me not to tell her and said he'd tell her himself. I don't know if he has or not yet."

She rested her chin in her palm and glanced across the room. Mairin and Jairo were nowhere to be found. Riyo furrowed her brows, but moved her focus back to the new conversation at hand.

Coruscant: 20 BBY
79's
Mairin Elis

Mairin pulled her dark blue hair back into a bun, following Jairo. They stopped outside of the cantina and ducked down a deserted ally. She tilted her head curiously. "So why did you want to leave?"

Jairo held up a small datapad. She quickly read what was displayed on the screen. I wanted to tell you something.

"All right?"

Jairo swallowed hard and began typing. She moved around beside him and rested her head on his shoulder. Mairin read along as he wrote. She glanced up at him, suddenly, realizing what he was telling her. He jerked his head back towards the screen. She consented and kept reading.

    Mairin wrapped her arms around Jairo's waist after a few minutes. "I'm so sorry," she murmured. He rested his cheek atop her hair. "Why tell me now?"

    Some more typing. I wanted you to know. Besides, I think Archer might tell the others soon and I wanted you to hear it from me first.

    "Thank you for telling me." She moved in front of him, meeting his gaze. "Although, I do have one request." He raised his eyebrows. "Someday, I want to hear you laugh." Jairo smiled at that and nodded. Mairin cupped his face in her hands and pulled him down. She brushed a gentle kiss over the scars on his forehead, then the ones on his cheeks. Finally, she brought her lips to his and hugged him tightly.

Coruscant: 20 BBY
79's
Commander Fox

    Archer and Clay had left once again, leaving them to ponder over the story. Riyo seemed deep in thought. Finally, she shook herself out of it and smiled. She slid out of the booth and held a hand out to him.