Numerous Excuses

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Senate Building
Riyo Chuchi

Riyo, Padmé, Bail, and Mairin all filed into one seat together within the vast Senate chamber. Riyo glanced around at the other senators situating themselves. Many of them were sitting with their friends, as she was. A dull roar filled the room.

Finally, Chancellor Palpatine's seat appeared. The Chancellor stood and raised his hands. "Senators, please! I know that we are all upset by this turn of events, but I can assure you that we are safe here!"

"We were supposed to be safe there!" Someone protested.

"Where are the Trade Federation senators? Why were they targeted?" Another senator called.

A seat moved out into the chamber beside Chancellor Palpatine's. Senator Lott Dod stood. "I do not know why our apartments were the target of this attack. I am just thankful to have made it out alive."

"Maybe he made a bad deal," Bail whispered, leaning towards Padmé and Riyo. "Or perhaps the Separatists were tired of him."

"I don't think so," Riyo shook her head. "They need the Trade Federation to keep funding them. Without the money and trade the Federation gives them, the Separatists would have only the Banking Clan as a source of funds."

    "But they have the Commerce Guild and the Corporate Allliance as well," Bail pointed out.

"They only pledged Dooku their armies, nothing more," Padmé replied. "Of course, we know he can be persuasive."

They fell silent and continued to listen to the conversation occurring. "I promise you, we are doing everything we can to find the source of this attack," Chancellor Palpatine said. "I have requested that members of the Jedi Order be called in to investigate and the Jedi Council has graciously agreed. The investigation will begin immediately. Security will be increased here and in the apartments as they are reconstructed."

A new seat drifted out into the chamber. It was the Banking Clan's. "Chancellor, wouldn't it be better to move the apartments entirely and perhaps spread them out in several buildings?" From the corner of her eye, Riyo saw Padmé scowl. The speaker was Rush Clovis. "More buildings allows for more space between our apartments. The senators will have more room. Additionally, smaller buildings will make security easier to manage. Rebuilding the old apartments will take far too long. We can easily refurbish new apartments and have them ready within a few weeks."

Padmé rose and tapped a button on the seat control. They joined Clovis and Lott Dod on the floor. "And where will we find the money to pay for this? In case you've forgotten, the Republic is almost bankrupt because of the new clone orders, even with the deregulation of the banks. We can't afford to spend money on ourselves. Our people need it more and so do our troops." The Senate began to murmur around them.

Riyo met Padmé's gaze and nodded approvingly. Clovis seemed at a loss for words. Finally, he collected himself. "What if the money for this project came from me personally?"

"Where would you get that money?" Padmé asked, a hint of a scoff in her voice. "Not from the Banking Clan vaults?"

Clovis clenched his fist, then relaxed it. "No, from my own personal funds."

"The idea has merit," Chancellor Palpatine said, before Padmé could protest more. "Perhaps if I add in some of my own money as well, we can go through with this plan?"

Riyo stood beside Padmé and thought for a moment. "Perhaps, we should invest in two new apartment buildings. One can be paid for by Senator Clovis and the other by Chancellor Palpatine. Senators can bring their own furnishings from home."