Illogical Reasoning

Warning: Images of suicide

Coruscant: 20 BBY
Flos Domum Regis
Commander Fox

Mairin woke with a shriek. She bolted upright and clawed at her arms. "Get them off! Get them off!" She hollered. Fox jumped back, letting Jairo take over.

Jairo grabbed Mairin's hands and pulled them towards his chest, preventing her from injuring herself. He slid a hand against her cheek and forced her to look at him. Her vision was unfocused. Mairin didn't seem to recognize him.

She struggled in Jairo's grasp, her breath shuddering. Fox could tell her strength was flagging again. "They're all over," she whimpered.

"Mairin," Jairo said. It still took Fox by surprise. "Mair, look at me."

She closed her eyes and faced him, finally. Jairo brushed some hair away from her face. "Jairo?" She whispered.

He kissed her forehead. "I'm here."

Mairin opened her eyes at last, but they were still unfocused. Jairo waved Fox over. "Mairin, what happened?" Fox asked.

Jairo eased her back down while she answered. "We went outside. Asha came with us and we all had a drink. I started to feel...wrong. I went down first and I saw Riyo fall too. There wasn't anything wrong with Asha, really. I heard her say something before I passed out." Mairin coughed weakly. The same dark purple liquid bubbled up from her throat. Jairo grabbed a bowl and held it to her chin right before she threw up. "Is Riyo ok?"

"She's gone and so is Asha."

"You have to find her. Asha is the one who poisoned us. She'll kill Riyo," Mairin rasped. Her gaze flickered towards Jairo.

"Do you have any clue where Asha might've taken her?"

"Somewhere that held bad memories." Mairin closed her eyes, trying to draw in deep breaths. Fox could hear the wheezing in her chest. "If Sib Canay...had any part in this...the old apartments." She let out a sigh and her hand went limp in Jairo's grasp. He bent over her, quickly checking for her pulse.

"Is she..." Jairo shook his head. "I'm going to check it out. I'll be back," Fox said.

"I'm coming too." Jairo was up in an instant.

"Don't you want to stay with Mairin?"

"Yes, but I want to make sure Asha doesn't get away, if she really is responsible for this."

Senator Amidala stepped back into the room, followed by General Windu and Master Yoda. A dark skinned woman followed them in. She immediately moved towards Mairin and began checking her over. A small crystal hung from her neck. It glowed with a faint green hue.

"General Windu, I think I know who's responsible for this and where to find them," Fox reported. "Senator Chuchi is probably with them."

"I'll accompany you," he said.

"Look over Senator Chuchi's friend, I will. When found the Senator is, to the Temple you must bring her," Master Yoda added.

"Jairo." Fox jerked his head towards the exit. Jairo tossed his helmet on and followed them out.

"Where do you think they are, Commander?" General Windu asked.