Dark Clouds

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

    Riyo had spent the remainder of the day sleeping. Her headache had remained and she'd been overtaken by some nausea. By morning, it had eased, though. Delaney had arrived with a transmission from Padmé, requesting Riyo's presence.

    She was dressed and on her way in just a few minutes. The Naboo guards let her into Padmé's apartments without hesitation. Padmé was waiting in the sitting room. She rose as Riyo appeared.

    "How's Ahsoka?" Riyo asked.

    "I don't know. After the trial ended, Anakin said they went back to the Jedi Temple. The Council wanted her to come back, but she left," Padmé replied.

    "Left?"

    "She left the Jedi and the Temple for good. I don't even know if she's still on Coruscant." Padmé sat down again and rested her head atop her clasped fists. "I feel like I failed her. Chancellor Palpatine told me that the court had found her guilty. If not for Anakin, Ahsoka would've been executed already."

    Riyo sat down and rested a hand on Padmé's shoulder. "You did all you could and I'm sure she's grateful. It's hard to convince people to listen to reason when all they choose to hear are lies."

    "You're right, but this still concerns me." Padmé lifted her gaze thoughtfully. "If members of the Senate no longer recognize reason and truth when it's in front of them, maybe we are failing. How many lies are we being told just because the people know we'll listen to them?"

    "I wish I could tell you the answer," Riyo sighed. "Was there a particular reason you wanted to see me, though?"

    Padmé shook her head. "Yes, I'm sorry. I've been so preoccupied with everything else. King Lee-Char of Mon Cala asked to speak with us, Senator Organa, and Senator Mon Mothma. I told him about our fundraisers and how successful they've been and he's considering implementing similar organizations for his own people. He's asked that we leave for Mon Cala as soon as possible."

    "When did you plan to leave?"

    "Assuming you agreed to come with, Senators Organa, Mon Mothma, and I, thought we'd leave this afternoon," Padmé said.

    "Of course I'll come with. How long will we be staying?"

    Padmé knit her brows. "A day or two, I suppose. If Lee-Char needs help getting his organizations started, I'll stay longer."

    Riyo smiled. "I'll stay with you, if I need to. I can be ready in time."

    "Great. We'll stop by your private landing platform when it's time to leave," Padmé said.

    Riyo nodded, then left and returned to her own apartments. The door hissed shut behind her. "Delaney!" Riyo called.

    "Yes, my lady?" Del appeared in another doorway.

    "I'm leaving for Mon Cala this afternoon. Do you know what I should take with?" Riyo removed her headdress and pulled her hair down into a bun. "I've never been to Mon Cala."

    Delaney entered Riyo's room and disappeared into the closet. Riyo sat down on the bed and watched her. "I've never been there either, but from what I know, it's an ocean planet," Del explained. "Their cities are underwater, but I think the rooms are dry. You'll probably wear a water suit of some kind when you're in the water. Otherwise, you could just pack your regular clothes."

    Riyo nodded and pulled a suitcase out from beneath her bed. Delaney returned with an armful of clothes. The two of them began to fold the outfits and place them in the suitcase. Riyo glanced out the window and sighed quietly.