Made To Believe ✔️

By LyssahTraicey

Diana Mumbi is a beautiful book cafe owner who is a romantic at heart and obsessed with the literary world. F... More

Chapter One
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five

Chapter Two

1.4K 88 3
By LyssahTraicey

KAREEM'S POV

I loved my job, the smell of engine oil, clanging of metals, burning of parts as they melted together. Most boys were obsessed with cars at a young age but very few got to live the dream like I did. Choosing a career in automotive engineering had been the only good decision I'd made in my young adult life. The rest had been a mileage of terrible decisions leading to big regrets and a lot of getting hurt.

I'd been given a second chance in life when I'd met my current boss at Masinga Drag Festival three and a half years ago. It was an automobile event mainly for vehicles where people showed off their machines and participated in races. I had accompanied a few friends to celebrate our graduation from university. I'd graduated yes but only barely and no one was willing to hire a drug addict, covered in tattoos and was high more times than he was sober.

I had passed by my current bosses Vihaan's tent where he was showing off a mustang he had assembled himself. I'd been interested but had immediately noticed something wrong with the hydraulic front disc brakes. If anyone had attempted to drive that car they would have crashed in complete carnage. When I mentioned the problem Vihaan corrected it and immediately gave me his card. He told me that he was impressed how a drunk me could have noticed a problem that his best team of engineers had made. He hadn't offered me the work immediately but had promised me that if I cleaned myself up, he'd give me a job.

The next day I personally checked myself into rehab where I fought all my addictions. It had been an excruciating three months but I'd resurfaced stronger than ever and Vihaan had stood by his word. He owned a few car assemblies in the country where high end clients imported car parts from over seas and we assembled them. The job paid good so I was able to support myself, my sister and my niece. Plus I got to play with cars all day long. My life was great. It hadn't always been but I had no complaints at the moment.

Someone kicked my boot to get my attention so I pulled my head from under the honda civic I was inspecting to find a grinning Fabian staring at me.

"Were you checking out my ass again?"I asked teasingly causing the smirk to fall off his face.

"You wish you twisted fuck. I just wanted to tell you that lunch has arrived but you can starve to death for all I care."He retorted kicking my boot, a little too forcefully and walked away.

I chuckled before finishing up my check up and sliding from under the car. Vihaan being the rich tycoon that he was spared no expense in making sure that his employees had the best working environment to provide the best service. In the three years I'd been working for him I had managed to climb up the management ladder so I answered directly to Vihaan himself. I was good at what I did, had proven myself to be trustworthy so he had no problem relinquishing power to me. At the branch I worked at which was in Kilimani, we were a group of ten engineers and two cleaners who kept the place pristine. We had lunch delivered to us daily, had a snack bar and a vending machine in the premises.

I cleaned myself up at the sink making sure my hands and face were clean before walking to the tent outside the warehouse where everyone was gathered enjoying lunch. I served myself a good helping of the rice and chicken we were having, grabbed a banana and bottle of water before settling myself next to Fabian and Manuel who were the closest to me. Fabian had been working there as long as me while Manuel had only been with us six months and he was proving himself to be a good friend and a reliable worker.

"Still mad at me."I tested Fabian nudging his shoulder with mine.

He attempted to stab my hand with a fork but I moved away fast enough to save myself. We weren't best friends, I didn't do those anymore but we were close enough to have each others backs. I trusted him and he returned the favor.

"If I bleed I'm suing you."I threatened biting into my food.

"Go ahead, I'll claim it was a work related accident and have boss man Vihaan cover the damages."He replied with a smirk.

Before I could answer my phone vibrated in my pocket and I checked to see it was a reminder for me to find Nuru the book she had been demanding for. I had done the mistake of introducing Nuru, my seven year old niece to the Harry Potter movies. Then my sister, Jamila had to go ahead and tell her that the movies were based on books. Now my adorable little niece wanted to start reading the series with me and her mom aiding her. I'd found all six books except for he first one and she refused to start reading the second book without having read the first. She probably got her stubbornness from me.

"Guys do you know of any book shops where I can find the first Harry Potter book? Nuru will have my head if I don't get it for her."I asked.

Fabian shook his head at me "Sorry brother."

"Actually I do, my cousin owns a bookstore in the city that literally has everything. She's a book worm so she probably has it or can find a way to get it for you."Manuel informed me and my mood immediately became better.

"Thanks for the save man, can you write down the address for me, I'll pass by after work."I requested handing him my phone.

He typed in the address and handed it back to me. Nuru would sleep a happy girl. My sister and Nuru lived with me, not exactly lived with me but I'd given up my apartment for them after she lost her husband in the Dusit terrorist attack. He had been the bread winner and since no one else would I took both of them in. My sister was thirty years old, a widow and a single mom still trying to figure out her life after losing her husband. There was no way I could have turned her away even after my family did.

My sister had fallen in love with her deceased husband Ezekiel who had been a Christian. My family had asked her to leave him or they would disown her but she chose love. She had married him causing her to be cast out of our not so perfect Islamic home. I'd tried to defend her but I'd found myself kicked to the curb too for being a drug addict and having tattoos. It wasn't a loss to my parents since they had six kids so Jamila and I were just the bad apples. The day they kicked both Jamila and I out, I'd renounced my Islamic doctrines and had gotten baptized while in rehab and became a Christian. Islam had tossed me and my sister away but Christianity had saved me.

"Yoh, Kareem, boss man is here and wants to talk to you."Someone yelled at me and I quickly finished my food.

I refilled my thermal mug with some hot chai and made my way to the office out back. Time to get back to the grind.

Vihaan looked like the boss he was seated in my tiny office, his protruding belly doing all the speaking for him.

"How's my favorite worker bee doing?"He greeted cheerfully shaking my hand.

"I'm good boss. We weren't expecting you."I commented.

"This wasn't planned and I'm not here to stay. I just came to inform you that I'll be sending an auditor here in a few days to check out the books. I don't want to be on the wrong side of the KRA so I want everything to be in perfect order incase they decide to snoop around."He informed me.

"I'll be sure to accommodate whomever you send best I can and provide whatever they need."I assured him.

"That's good, call me in case of anything. Now if you'll excuse me, the missus and are flying to Dubai for our anniversary. I'll see you in two weeks or a month depending on how long my wallet can hold out."He said with a laugh and I joined in.

Patting my back affectionately he left the office while I got back to work. I'd forever be grateful to Vihaan for giving me a chance. I'd been corrupted in highschool where I started using alcohol and marijuana. It only got worse with time and by the time I met Vihaan at twenty three I was doing everything under the sky just to chase that high. When I'd gotten home that night after the festival I knew I wouldn't take the job because it meant I had to leave drugs behind. That mentality changed when I found my sister on my doorstep holding a three year old Nuru in her arms her bags all around her. Her husband had passed two months prior and she had been kicked out of their apartment after failing to pay the rent. Seeing my sister so miserable with nowhere else to go I'd finally come to my senses and decided to man up for her and my niece. I'd given her my apartment which was paid in full for the next six months and checked myself into rehab.

I know you're wondering where a drug addict like myself got enough money to put myself through school, get an apartment and afford rehab. Besides using the drugs I used to peddle them and there's good money in selling drugs. Seeing Jamila so helpless had shown me that I could not be a junkie forever so I'd cleaned myself up. I'd also stopped whoring around and decided to save myself for the right woman. It had been hard giving up sex but I was two years celibate still hanging onto faith and hoping God would be merciful. I wanted something real and pure like what my sister and her deceased husband had but all the ladies I'd met had not been special enough for me to settle down with.

I was still single at twenty seven waiting for the right lady to come along. If she did come along, I'd treat her real nice, take good care of her and honor her. I was patient though because I was not going to settle for just anyone for sake of being in a relationship. Good things take time and I had more than enough time.

When closing time rolled around I realized that I had less than half an hour to get to the bookstore Manuel has directed me to. I quickly closed up shop but carefully enough to make sure that everything was in place. After I was done I grabbed all my things from my locker, tossed them in my gym bag and left the warehouse. I was the last to leave having been caught up in my work so I made sure to set up the security alarm properly. I got into my car, my baby, my pride and joy which was a black 1967 Pontiac GTO with a black leather interior and a hardtop. I'd found it rotting away in a junk yard sale, no idea how it got there and the person sitting on it had no idea how what a gold mine it was. I'd bought it at a throw away price and had worked on restoring it for a full year. It had been a tedious process but so worth it. She was the envy of many and even though I'd been approached by a lot of buyers to sell her, I'd said no. I was never selling my car.

I got to the bookstore or bookcafe as it was named but I was too late as they were closed. I cursed at myself for being late knowing Nuru would not give me peace for going home without the book. I mentally prepared myself to go back without the book and turned around to leave. A noise inside the bookstore caught my attention so I walked closer. The light was still on so it meant there was someone inside. Deciding to risk it and hope they were kind, I knocked on the door. The noise stopped and I thought they were going to speak up or open the door but nothing happened so I kept knocking. It was dead silent but I knew there was someone in there so I resulted to begging knowing the alternative of a pissed seven year old was worse.

"I just need one book please."I pleaded hoping they'd have mercy on me.

The heavens smiled upon me and the door swung open but not completely, just enough for me to come face to face with a petite looking young woman. She was shorter than me but most people were considering I was 6'5.

"I'm really sorry to bother you but the light was on and I can't go home without that book tonight or a little girl somewhere will be very mad at me." I explained grateful to her for hearing me out.

I noticed that she was staring at me and realized that I was completely covered in grease. I'd messily cleaned up in a rush at the warehouse and didn't even have time to change out of my messy coveralls. She was probably thinking terribly of me but I honestly didn't care as long as I got the book. I cleared my throat to get her attention and she jumped back startled. She looked embarrassed to have to been caught staring but I didn't mind. It was my fault for looking the least presentable.

"I'm sorry what book did you want?"She asked and I heard her voice for the first time.

It was smooth, calm and soothing and some of my nervousness eased. She was my saving grace and sounded like a beautiful chorus. No time to admire the lady though, book priorities first.

"I'm sorry I look like a mess, I didn't have time to clean up after work. I need the first book of the Harry Potter series. I've been looking all over the city for it and my friend told me I could find it here."I replied.

She nodded affirming my request and my shoulders fell in relief.

"I do have it yes."She confirmed.

I smiled knowing Nuru was going to be a happy girl when she received it. I looked down at the lady hoping she'd lead me to the book but there was a strange emotion in her eyes. She looked at me like was trying to figure me out which was strange because I was just a customer to her.

"Can I have it please?"I requested wanting to escape her scrutiny.

She nodded looking a little startled before she turned around walking further inside the book cafe. Since the fear of Nuru's wrath had escaped me I took my time looking around the quaint looking space. There were books everywhere, seats, tables and on one side there were lots of baked goodies and pastries which is why it was probably called a book cafe. All the sweets reminded me of my sister and her sweet tongue and even though I had bothered her enough I hoped the lady would be kind enough to pack me something sweet for my Jamila.

The smell of old books mixed with new ones was strangely satisfying and now I understood why people got addicted to reading. I didn't do much reading being too busy with work but I made time to read with Nuru so I really treasured those memories.

The fog of disappointing Nuru had dissipated so I could finally admire the beautiful woman in front of me without freaking out. She was a foot shorter than me, dressed in the cutest white so dress with yellow flowers and her hair was braided into four cornrow braids that made her look innocent. Her toes were painted a baby pink as were her toe nails showcased in her brown sandals.

She took the book off the shelf, turning around to show it to me and I was finally able to see her face clearly. I had no idea how I had missed it but she was gorgeous. She had brown eyes, a cute button nose and her cupid bow lips were painted in the faintest nude lipstick.

"Is this the book you wanted?"She asked and I dumbly nodded without really looking.

I couldn't remember the last time someone had affected as much as the cute little bookstore owner was. Compared to me she was so adorable and short.

"Is there anything else you want?"She asked politely.

I was about to say no when I remembered the cake display on the self shelf.

"Yes please. Can I have one of those pies and a few slices of the red velvet cake."I requested and she nodded.

I watched her swiftly and efficiently move around the shop making sure to package everything with perfect ease. She bagged everything for me, rung up my order and handed me my receipt. I paid up and was just about to ask for her number when she spoke up.

"Thank you for shopping at Munching Diaries bookcafe. It will be a pleasure to have you again."

Her tone was dismissive like she couldn't wait for me to leave.

She was within her rights since I'd asked her to reopen for me. She didn't need me disturbing her anymore by asking for her number.

"Thank you for going to all this trouble for me. Goodnight."I answered her politely before turning around and walking out.

The door closed a little too forcefully behind me followed by the lock clicking into place as if she was locking me out completely. It hurt that I'd been attracted to her but she didn't even look at me twice but I respected her. She would be in my mind for a while even if I couldn't have her. Or I could come back another time, during the right hours to get her number, but wouldn't that seem stalkerish. What if she was in a relationship? She wasn't married or engaged as I hadn't seen a ring but I could not dismiss the possibility of her seeing someone. I didn't even get her name. I could only hope that our paths would cross again.

I drove home with my purchases in the passenger seat still thinking about the beautiful woman who's name I didn't know. When I got to my sisters apartment I used my key to let myself in and was immediately attacked by a flying little body.

"Did you bring it? Did you? Did you?"Nuru asked jumping up and down her pig tails flying around.

Nuru was an adorable replica of her mom with olive skin, brown eyes, curly hair and a slim build. She was a little small for her age but it was just in her genes.

"Let your uncle rest Nuru, you can ask him later."Jamila scolded from the kitchen but Nuru was having none of it.

She crossed her arms on her chest and glared at me. Sassy little thing.

I didn't acknowledge her just dug into my bags and handed her the book. She cheered with a big smile on her face taking the big book from my hands.

"Thank you Uncle. You're the best."She laughed and I bent over to get a kiss on the cheek.

She ran off to her room probably to put it with the rest of the collection.

"You're welcome sweetheart."I yelled after her.

I kicked off my boots and walked into the kitchen.

"Oh my, you look like the inside of an exhaust pipe."My sister exclaimed and I laughed.

"I was in a rush to leave today. How was your day?"I asked looking at her.

My sister was beautiful, tall and even though we'd left out Muslim culture behind she still wore her hijab sometimes or just her turban. She said it protected her from men as they were afraid of hitting on Muslim women.

"Productive. I made a few more sweets, made my deliveries before picking up your niece from school. How was yours?"She answered.

My sister made mabuyu sweets and kashata for sale to earn her keep. It wasn't the most profitable business but it kept her busy and earned her some good coin. I paid for the apartment and Nuru's schooling leaving the rest to her so she didn't feel like a free loader, he words not mine.

"Nothing interesting, same old thing."I replied remembering the bag in my hands and giving it to her.

I left out the part about the lady who sold me those items because even I didn't know her. Unless we met again, she would remain to be a stranger.

"Thank you for these. Why don't you go freshen up before coming for dinner. We're having spaghetti and meat balls."She instructed and I nodded.

The apartment was a two bedroom so I didn't live with Nuru and Jamila. I rented a warehouse loft a few buildings over to give the two ladies their space. It would also be weird living with my sister in the same house.

I cleaned up best I could in their joint bathroom and changed out of the dirty coveralls into jeans and a t-shirt, postponing a shower for when I got back to my place.

My sister made sure that Nuru and I were well fed before we all had a slice of pie for dessert. I started the series with Nuru and we read for half an hour before she drifted off to sleep. Saying goodnight to Jamila I picked up my bags and drove to my loft. It was one huge space with the living space, dining, kitchen and bathroom on the bottom floor and a raised loft that had my bed and wardrobe. I took a shower and changed into a fresh pair of boxers before walking up the stairs and getting into bed. I made sure my phone was plugged into to charge before turning off the lights.

My day had been a long one so I was out like a light in minutes. My dreams were plagued by images of the cute book cafe owner that I didn't know if I'd ever see again. Well one could definitely hope.

🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

Now that both introductions have been done, lets get the ball rolling.

I know next to shit about cars considering I don't even know how to drive but I really tried my best to be accurate.

What do you think about this chapter guys? I have a huge crush on Kareem already and he's my character.

Keep voting, commenting and sharing.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

327 29 6
" !!HUM TOH BANE HI THE TABAH HONE KE LIYE , TERA CHHOD JANA TOH MEHEZ BAHANA BAN GAYA!! " Sarfaraz Hashimi :- A reserved guy who once used to be bub...
220K 7.8K 64
"You expect me to forget everything?" His voice comes out as a whisper. "To act like it doesn't hurt me to see you with him or that I'm still not cra...
162K 6.5K 44
Highest Rankings: #1 Interracial #2 LGBT/LGBTQ #2 Gay #2 highschool #3 Wattpride #5 Boyxboy #17 ManxMan Mason Moore and Mark Tyler have been friends...
271K 9.7K 32
Miles Rivera wants nothing except to graduate high school. Having two younger siblings, he's taken over as being the man of the house. Helping with t...