Senator and Soldier

By LeeraIvy

Senator Riyo Chuchi is beginning to lose her faith in the Republic. After being the target of several assassi... More

Prologue
Unwanted Protection
Friendly Faces
The Price
Dissatisfying Escape
Perilous Plans
Transformations
Discovery
Traitors Revealed
Justice Served
Delicate Gift
Into Our Own Hands
Heartfelt Interrogations
Deserter Ally
Republic Commandos
Uncomfortable But Welcome
Trying Meetings
Explosions
Numerous Excuses
Shrine
Embarrassing Endeavors
Preparations
Festival of Light
Taking Chances
Double Sided Warning
Shattered Ball
Tick Tock
Illogical Reasoning
Uncharted Course
Healer's Touch
Alleged Conspirators
Resolved Resignation
Broken Trust
The Beginning of Change
Difficult Decisions
Gnawing Anger
Temple Bombing
Timid Steps
Take Two
A Likely Story
Suspects Renamed
Code Red
Social Calls
Traitors In Our Midst
Dark Clouds
Friends and Enemies
Multiple Dilemmas
Insinuations
Surprises
Wonderful Turn of Events
The Unknown
Growing Frustration
Dark Revelations
Hidden Plans
The Order
Burning Fears
Strained Loyalties
Darkness Calls
Mending Pains
Devotion
Epilogue
Thank You
Broken Codes
Walking New Paths

Hardened Resolve

904 36 25
By LeeraIvy

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Senate Apartments
Riyo Chuchi

    Riyo held Riyah gently and cooed, simultaneously making a funny face. Riyah waved her arms and giggled excitedly. "She seems to be warming up to you," Mairin called from across the room. She was bustling around sorting through Riyo's clothes. She folded a few that wouldn't be fitting her again for a while and packed them into a tote.

    "Finally," Riyo agreed. "I'm amazed she spent so long not liking me."

    "Maybe you're just an unlikeable person." Mair leaned out of the closet and smirked. "Kidding, you're the most lovable person I know, next to Jairo and Riyah."

    Riyo smiled and continued making faces at her "niece". At last, she stopped and began to rock Riyah. "Chairman Papanoida contacted me. I'm not sure who he sent, but they're on their way."

    "That's good. You've been keeping yourself much too busy lately."

    "I know. Fox has scolded me incessantly."

    Mairin stepped out of the closet and took a sleeping Riyah from her arms. "How has he been? You said last week was difficult for him?"

    "He's doing better. The whole Fives ordeal just...took a toll on him."

    "So soon after the Temple bombing too." Mairin sat down. "Have you talked to Irel or Ziyah?"

    Riyo shook her head. "Not since the Senate Ball a while back."

    Mair began to speak again, but broke off as a door hissed shut from the other room. "Riyo?" Padmé called.

    "In my room," Riyo answered. Padmé joined them quickly. "How can I help you?"

    "Mon Mothma, Bail, and I want to take our fundraiser programs to the Chancellor. We hope he'll bring it to the Senate and convince them that they should all implement similar ideas where necessary," Padmé explained. "Will you come with? Lee-Char has promised to bring his own reports if a Senate session is called."

    "Of course I'll come. When are you meeting with Chancellor Palpatine?"

    "As soon as possible."

    Riyo knit her brows. "One of Chairman Papanoida's children is supposed to be joining me as an aide. If possible, I want to wait for them to arrive before going. I imagine this will be something on our agenda for a while, so it'd be nice if they can be informed of it as it's happening, so I don't have to catch them up."

    "Of course. Come by my apartments after they arrive and we'll go then."

    Riyo nodded and Padmé turned to leave. "Wait, you haven't seen Riyah yet!" Mairin ran across the room. Padmé paused and bent down to examine the baby. She smiled brightly.

    "She's beautiful, Mairin. I'll see you later, Riyo." Padmé smiled at them both again before leaving.

    Riyo yawned and lay back against her pillows. Mairin set Riyah down on a blanket before returning to the closet. Riyo gave into her fatigue and closed her eyes, finally.

    She woke after what seemed like only a few minutes. Mairin ceased shaking her and straightened. "A ship just landed. I'm sure it's the Chairman's child."

    Riyo rubbed her eyes and sat up. A headache was forming in her temples, but she ignored it. "You'd better disappear for a while then, until they leave for their own apartment."

    Mairin gathered up Riyah with a nod. "Call for me if you need me." She ducked out the door a moment later.

    Riyo slid out of bed and quickly brushed her hair up into a bun. She tucked a few golden accessories into her pastel purple locks, before smoothing the folds of her outfit. She quickly left her room and made her way to her private landing pad.

    Captain Tere and Delaney met her there. No one had disembarked from the ship yet. Riyo folded her hands together and waited. Several minutes passed before the boarding ramp was extended. Riyo had to stifle a groan as a familiar figure stepped off the ship. Ion Papanoida cast an appraising look over them and sniffed.

    The ramp closed behind him and his ship lifted off once more. "Welcome to Coruscant," Riyo said. "Do you have anything you need to get situated?"

    "No, it's all being taken to my father's apartment." Ion pointed up to another landing platform, where his ship had touched down once more.

    "Good. We're going to Senator Amidala's apartment, then."

    Captain Tere moved closer to her. "Would you like me to accompany you, Senator?"

    "No. Delaney will come with us." Riyo glanced at her handmaid. Del nodded. "Let's get going." She led the way into her apartment and back out towards a hallway.

    "Why are we going to Senator Amidala's?" Ion asked.

    "I'm helping her, Senator Mon Mothma, and Senator Organa take a proposition of sorts to the Chancellor," she explained. "Seeing as you'll be helping me and this might be an ongoing endeavor for a while, I thought it'd be best if you came along."

    "I see. Lead the way, Senator Chuchi."

    Delaney fell in step behind her as she took the lead. Riyo loosed a silent sigh. I suppose we'll see how this works out.

Coruscant: 19 BBY
Jedi Temple
Commander Fox

    The shouts of the rioters hung thick all around. Fox crossed his arms and continued to stand his post. The crowds had first started forming after the bombing of the Temple hangar. It had grown steadily worse ever since. The Chancellor had ordered the Coruscant Guard to keep the rioters away from the Temple.

    Fox turned as General Windu and Master Yoda approached. "It's just getting worse," he reported. "I don't think they like our involvement."

    Master Yoda sighed and shook his head. "Troubling, this is. Turned on us our people have. Serve them, we cannot, if refuse our help they do."

    "What do you suggest?"

    "Perhaps we should have someone speak to them to set their minds at ease. Someone they trust." General Windu stroked his chin thoughtfully. "I wonder if the Chancellor would be able to come for a moment."

    Fox nodded. "It's worth a try."

    "I'll contact him immediately." General Windu returned to the Temple.

    Master Yoda leaned against his cane and watched the people in the courtyard below. His large amber green eyes were full of sadness. "Is something wrong, Sir?" Fox asked.

    "Darkness surrounds us all. Fear I sense, and also anger. Allow these feelings to grow, we cannot."

    "The war is making everyone afraid. The longer it lasts, the more afraid they become. I've heard that many of the angry citizens believe we aren't doing enough to stop the war."

    "Never enough will our efforts be. Do what we can, we must. Beyond that, no control do we have." Master Yoda perked up a bit after a moment. "Senator Chuchi, how is she?"

    Fox stiffened, his eyes widening beneath his helmet. He quickly recovered himself, hoping the Jedi hadn't sensed his shift in demeanor. "Why would you ask me?"

    "Friends with her you are. Protected her on several occasions and saved her life you have. Know her you do." He tilted his head and smiled.

    "Right." Fox hesitated before answering. "She's doing well. I haven't seen her much lately." It was true. He hadn't seen her as often as he'd have liked over the past week.

    "Exciting her life has become," Master Yoda said with an understanding nod. "And yours, hm?" Fox stiffened again and quickly wracked his brain for the right words. Master Yoda pointed to the crowds below with his cane. "Busy with them, you are?"

    "Uh, yes, right," Fox agreed quickly. Too quickly. He didn't miss the old Jedi's smirk. "Sir, are you...teasing me?"

    Yoda chuckled and shuffled his feet a bit. "Fun I must have. Even a Jedi, bored can become. Speak of you often to me, she does, although nothing specific does she give."

    Fox rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "I'm not sure what to say. If you know...why haven't you reported me?"

    Master Yoda became solemn once more. "Encourage the disregard of rules, I do not. However, a friend Senator Chuchi is. Trust you she does, as I do."

    "That doesn't really answer my question." He was becoming more confused by each word Master Yoda said.

    "As a Jedi, oaths we take and rules we follow. The rule you break, a Jedi rule it is. Unfair it is to you, to uphold it. For selfish reasons was it given to you. To restrict you. Your freedom to take away. A vow to uphold it, you did not take. To protect the Republic, you were created. Not to be its slave."

    Fox blinked thoughtfully. "You don't agree with it then? You believe we clones should be free to choose that path?" Master Yoda dipped his head. "And that's why you haven't reported me?"

    "You or any of your brothers."

    "I never expected a Jedi to say something like that. Thank you, for your open mindedness."

    Master Yoda smiled but said nothing. A few minutes later, General Windu returned. "The Chancellor is on his way. He's bringing a few senators with him."

    "When will they arrive?" Fox asked.

    "In a few minutes." General Windu crossed his arms. Fox nodded and continued to watch the crowds below.

    A few people carried signs. Most of them were simply shouting. All of them were angry. "No more clones! End the war! Stop the fighting!" The chants were relentlessly repeated.

    Finally, the hum of a ship's engines drowned out their cries. A ship touched down and Chancellor Palpatine appeared. Fox recognized Senators Mon Mothma and Organa following behind him. Senator Amidala stepped off the ship, accompanied by her golden protocol droid. Riyo quickly caught up to them, with Delaney at her side. Another Pantorans followed them, but he wasn't sure who.

    The party joined them quickly. "This is much worse than I anticipated," Chancellor Palpatine said. "I will do what I can." He moved towards the crowd and looked down, spreading his hands over them. "My friends, please. Division among us will solve nothing. We are working our hardest to end the war. You have been patient with us and we thank you for that, but you must continue to be so."

    "Be patient?" Someone spat.

    "Wait on the war to end? Civilians are dying!"

    "How many of us must become casualty numbers before action is taken?"

    "My children go to bed hungry because you spend the Republic's money on them!" A woman shouted. She pointed an accusing finger at Fox.

    Chancellor Palpatine sighed and glanced back at Senator Amidala. "I find myself grateful for your new proposition. I'm afraid we may need to convince the Senate that it's a wise course of action." He faced the people again and raised his voice. "These issues have been brought to my attention and a few senators have found ways to ease your suffering. I plan to bring their idea before the Senate at once."

    That seemed to relax the people a little bit. The cries died off. Chancellor Palpatine continued to speak, but Fox tuned him out. He found himself watching General Windu and Master Yoda. Their gazes were suspicious as they watched the Chancellor. The two of them exchanged glances.

    They're suspicious of the Chancellor? Fox narrowed his eyes. Riyo may trust Master Yoda, but I'm not sure I do. The Chancellor once told me the Jedi might use Riyo against me...or against the Republic. I have to make sure that won't happen. He paused, another thought occurring to him. Then again, Fives believed the Chancellor was part of a plot against the Jedi. Who is telling the truth? Already, his head was beginning to hurt as he mulled over his thoughts. An idea came to him at last. He straightened, now filled with a hardened resolve.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

117K 4.4K 89
The Clone War has resumed after its brief pause due to the fall of Chancellor Palpatine, who has been revealed to be Darth Sideous. Chancellor Kayla...
381 9 5
- Y/n, an ex-Sith become Jedi, and Rex, a Captain in the Grand Army of the Republic. How can a relationship like theirs work? Yet alone work on the b...
1.6K 65 30
Star Wars the Clone Wars Fanfiction, Mostly Focused on female OC and Captain Rex, and their experience falling in love, but also telling the growth o...
106K 3.4K 200
Immediately following the events of The Last Jedi, the battle for the galaxy continues between the First Order and the last of the Resistance. As the...