The Werewolf's Child

Від PeregrineBones

Remus Lupin was captured by Fenrir Greyback, tortured and experimented on. He was rescued by the Order of the... Більше

Spinner's End
Fenrir Greyback's Little Experiment
Blue Satin Pajamas
At Malfoy Manor
The Muggle Borns
Talking
Muggle Football and Curry
Traitors
No
The Portrait of Albus Dumbledore
Lemon Bubbles
Research
Fourth Moon With Christmas Tree
Christmas Eve
Christmas Eve Part Two
Christmas Eve Part Three
Presents
Sono, Doe and Sword
The Barrow
A Visitor
Another Visitor
The Forest of Dean Again
The Pensieve
The Washing Up
The Old Synagogue and the Hairy Heart
In the Greenhouse
One Winter Evening
After the Moon
Privet Drive
The Army of the Dead
Baby Clothes
The Finding Spell
Giants and Dementors
The Madames Pepper and Spider
Head Injury
Muggle Hospital and Malfoy Drawing Room
The Tunnel
Shadow
Sunlight on Water
Across the Moonlit Sea
Oakley
Race to the Battle
Voice of Evil
In the Fog of Battle
Reprieve
The Resurrection Stone
The Joining Spell
Christmas Again
Epilogue: Three Years Later

Third Moon

488 15 0
Від PeregrineBones

It was a long and annoying sort of day. First year potions, then thirds, then after lunch his double NEWT class. The first years were easy enough, he had them properly cowed, but Sev always found the third years trying. They were charged up on hormones, distracted by each other, and cocky enough to start to challenge his authority. He had to leave in the middle of class, returning quickly to his rooms through the deserted corridors, to add tincture of silver to the wolfsbane potion and stir widdershins a dozen times. He watched with satisfaction as the potion turned from clear blue to silvery green, and released its strange burnt chocolate smell, but by the time he got back to his classroom his armpits were soaked with sweat and the third years were passing notes and throwing spitballs. The hapless seventh year student he had left in charge was reading a book without concern. Although Sev used his best icy, scornful manner to restore order, the rest of the lesson went badly.

He spent his lunch hour in the Room of Requirement, sorting through the abandoned detritus of generations of Hogwarts students, looking for an appropriate set of chains. Then, on his way to grab some food before his next class, he was waylaid by Minerva, who signalled to him, with a raised eyebrow, that she wanted to talk to him.

They never talked in their offices, assuming they were magically bugged, but there was an abandoned fourth floor bathroom they used when they needed to confer. Sev gave her ten minutes lead and, giving up on any hope of food, hurried to their meeting spot.

Minerva cast Silencio wandlessly, then said, "It's the full moon tonight, Severus."

"I am aware," he said stiffly.

"Poppy told me of Remus'....condition."

"Yes, well, there's not much we can do about that. He refuses to terminate the pregnancy. Poppy is supposed to be consulting the male pregnancy expert at St. Mungo's but of course she needs to be discreet."

"He probably won't survive it, Severus."

"I know that," he said.

"You can't talk him out of it?"

"Why would he listen to me?"

"I don't know. I was hoping maybe you could talk some sense into him. But I suppose he's being stubborn."

"Indeed."

"And for tonight? What are you going to do with him?"

Sev opened his bag to show her the chains he had gathered. "My basement." he said. "The wolfsbane potion is brewing in my office. It's nearly done."

"You can keep him safe?"

Sev shrugged. "I can't keep him from miscarrying but I can keep him from biting Muggles on the streets of London."

"Perhaps we should move him," said Minerva, thoughtfully. "Somewhere more.....rural."

"It's fine," said Sev shortly. "I'm managing him."

Minerva looked at him sharply. "You're sure?" she asked.

"Yes."

                                                                                      *********

Lately he'd found his NEWT class challenging. He had known these students a long time. He'd gone to school with their parents. Favoritism and cruelty were his usual methods of running a classroom, but it was wearing him down. Neville Longbottom, with a black eye and a gash across his forehead sat in the back row and glared at him with hatred in his eyes. He was flanked on either side by Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown. Seamus Finnegan looked sullenly at the ground beside them.

In the front row the Slytherins sat eagerly, expectantly. They were used to some sort of confrontation, some display of humiliation or violence in his class.

He was so weary of the charade.

He got through the class with a stunning spell to Neville when he talked back and by imperiussing Lavender to hop like a bunny when she failed to add the lacefly wings to her potion in time. Light punishment by current standards at Hogwarts but it satisfied the expectations of the students.

His basement classroom had small windows set close to the ceiling. Severus watched the dimming afternoon light as it filtered gloomily through them. He glanced at the clock on the wall. It was November - the moon would rise early. He'd got Amanda and Gavin and their Dad to Andromeda's safe house yesterday. At least that was managed, for now. He was worried about Draco, he knew every day he delayed getting him into hiding was a huge risk. And what was he going to do if the Dark Lord called him again? He felt anxiety simmering in his veins. He dismissed class ten minutes early, to the delight of his students.

                                                                                       ********

Just as he was hurrying back to his office, and the floo, and Remus, his impatience to get home mounting, he was stopped by Amycus Carrow. Amycus was wheezing and breathless, red in the face. He had Michael Corner by the ear.

"Caught him red handed this time," he huffed. "Graffiti in the hall by Gryffindor tower. 'Potter Lives '," he added with a sneer.

Sev felt his anxiety rise to an almost fever pitch, but he was going to have to deal with this. "What's your parentage, boy?" he said to Michael, the scorn in his voice a reflection of the frustration he was feeling.

"I'm a pureblood," Michael said defiantly, his eyes flashing fire. "Sir," he added, spitting out the word.

"And yet you support Undesirable Number One?" Sev asked. Michael looked sullenly at the floor and did not answer.

"Do you understand that is a serious offense? This isn't child's play you know. You could go for Azkaban for this. Or worse."

Michael just stared at him, his face filled with hatred.

"He's a blood traitor," Sev said to Amycus shortly. "Do with him as you will. Within reason. The Dark Lord does not want purebloods permanently harmed. But see what you can do to persuade him to change his allegiances. It will be in his best interest."

"As you wish sir," said Amycus giving Sev a truly maniacal grin. "See you at supper, then."

"I.....have an errand," said Sev. "A.....task to perform. I may not be back until morning."

"A task?" asked Amycus, curiously, interested. "What task?"

"It is of a......sensitive nature," replied Severus. "Be assured I will let you know when the time is right. Best take care of ......that," he added, gesturing to Michael.

"Yes sir, of course sir, " said Amycus obsequiously and, still gripping Michael by the ear, hurried him away.

                                                                                         *********

When Severus got to Spinner's End he found Lupin in the sitting room. He was curled in a tight ball in a corner beside the cold fireplace. The front of his shirt was covered with vomit and the whole room smelled of sick.

"Don't touch me, Sev," he said at once, his voice a feral growl.

Sev got out his wand. "Scourgify!" he said, cleaning Remus' clothes with a flick of his wand.

"Thanks, said Remus ruefully. "I... I didn't make it to the bog."

"I've your potion right here, said Severus. He undid the stopper and handed Remus the flask. Silver smoke rose from the top. Remus shuddered, screwed up his eyes and took a sip, wincing.

"I'm scared, Sev," he said.

"You've been through the change hundreds of times," said Severus. "You'll be all right."

"I'm scared about the baby," said Remus, and there were tears in his eyes.

Severus sat on the floor beside Remus and, in spite of his protestations, put an arm around his shoulders. Remus shuddered but let him do it. It felt steadying to hold him, though Sev could sense the tension in his body. His heart was racing , every muscle felt wound tight, ready to spring. "Shh, Lupin it'll be all right."

"Why would you say that? There's no way you can know that."

Sev just shrugged and looked at him.

"You don't usually say things to me that aren't true, Sev."

Sev reached out a hand and pushed Remus' hair back from his sweaty brow. "You're right," he said. "I......I must have been swayed by.....emotions."

Remus took another sip of the potion, and shuddered again. But he seemed calmer.

"Better?" asked Sev hopefully. Remus nodded and took another sip.

"Does it help you to know that I fervently wish it will be all right?"

Remus answered by drinking down the rest of the potion in several long swallows and giving him a small smile. "Yes, it does, actually," he said. A shaft of red light from the setting winter sun snuck in from the kitchen window, across the parlor and hit Remus in the face, casting him in a weird, unearthly glow.

"I'd best get down to the basement," he said.

                                                                                     ********

It was a horrible night.

Severus chained Remus in the basement. He tried to kiss him but got pushed away He could see why. Remus was no longer himself. His eyes were wild, his hair grown visibly longer, sticking out all around his head. His movements were jerky, as if his joints were no longer working right. "Go!" commanded Remus gruffly, his voice a growl. Severus climbed the stairs, shut and locked the door. He heard thumping from the basement, followed by a human cry of pain that deepened in timbre to the full howl of the wolf. Sev looked out the window of the sitting room and saw the white rim of the moon poking over the brick factory in the distance.

He knew he should probably get back to Hogwarts. There was nothing he could do for Remus until morning, and his frequent absences were starting to be noticed. But he couldn't tear himself away, somehow. He knew he wouldn't sleep. He pointed his wand to the fireplace and set it ablaze, went to the kitchen to fetch the firewhiskey, and settled himself in the armchair by the fire.

About four in the morning, when the frustrated howls and bangings of the wolf had reached a fever pitch Sev went down in the basement and stunned him. He had no idea if it was the right thing to do, or if it would harm the baby, but he figured they all of them needed a few hours of respite. The wolf slumped in his chains, and Sev went back up to the armchair by the fire and dozed until daylight.

When the first rays of the sun poked over the brick factory wall, Severus ventured down to the basement. Remus was collapsed in his chains, unconscious. His naked body was white, beaded with sweat, but he was human once again. He looked incredibly small and vulnerable in that moment. Severus felt his heart do a strange flip flop when he saw him lying there like that. Remus' forehead was bruised and swollen from where he had repeatedly banged it against the wall. His shoulder was obviously dislocated. A long angry gash ran down his thigh. Sev had no idea how he'd got that. He had taken care to remove all sharp objects well away from the wolf's reach. He had probably just scratched himself. Sev shuddered and set about putting things right.

He had a heavy iron key to unlock the chains. Remus fell into his arms, wincing. His eyes fluttered open and gradually came into focus. He smiled at Sev, briefly, in recognition, then winced again.

"My shoulder," he gasped.

"Hold on a minute, Lupin. It's dislocated. Let me fix it." He muttered a healing spell, and Remus cried out as the shoulder clunked into place. His body sagged against Sev, who drew him in close.

"I made it through," he murmured into Sev's chest.

"Yes," said Severus, relief flooding him. "Let's get you upstairs and into bed."

"How's the baby?" breathed Remus.

Sev placed his hand on the spot where the womb was pushing insistently up and out. He poked about gingerly "Does it hurt?" he asked. It was impossible to know what was actually going on in there. Remus shook his head. "It feels okay," he said.

"Probably fine then," said Sev, decisively. "Bed, Lupin. Can you walk?"

Remus stretched tentatively and moaned. "Everything hurts," he complained.

Getting Remus up the two flights of stairs to the bedroom seemed to take a long time. Sev supported him with an arm around his shoulder but his movements were feeble and ginger. Sev laid him, naked, between the sheets, then rummaged in the upstairs bathroom until he found some ancient gauze, the plastic packaging yellow with age.

"Thank you, Sev, " Remus murmured, his eyelids fluttering, as Sev wrapped his cut leg with the gauze. "Thank you for taking care of me."

Sev was kicking himself that he hadn't thought to prepare a healing potion. He knew just the thing but it would take days to make. He looked through the medicine chest in the bathroom once more, but all he found were some Muggle aspirins, hopelessly out of date. He threw them in the bin in frustration. The plastic bottle made a loud ping as it hit the metal of the wastebasket. Then, thinking better of it, he fished out the bottle. He left it on the bedside table with a glass of water, and an ice pack charmed to stay cold. He took a last look at Remus' sleeping form and hurried off to teach his morning classes.

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

1.3K 77 50
Three years after Voldemort's defeat Severus Snape and Remus Lupin are sharing a life together at Spinner's End with their large and rather complicat...
509 6 16
Remus' lycanthropy pushes him to commit the worst, James questions his feelings about Snape, and Sirius immerses himself in '70s Muggle rock to escap...
8.2K 307 4
*previously We Feel Like Monsters* Remus Lupin always thought he would be lonely. What with being a werewolf, how could he possibly not? It seems tha...
1.6K 92 27
Severus Snape, stuck in an endless cycle of grief and hatred, was prepared to lose everything at any instant - his life bound to only one purpose: pr...