Race to the Battle

Draco sent an owl to Snape and then took Dudley firmly by the arm. Tonks took his other arm and the three of them apparated to a seedy, grimy bar. Dusty bottles lined the walls and there was dirty straw on the floor. Draco recognized it as the Hogshead. He'd come here a few times -  slumming with his Slytherin friends. The barman was a skinny grizzled fellow with piercing blue eyes and a dour expression on his face. He stared at Draco when he saw him. His look was one of unmasked hostility. Draco stiffened inwardly. The old man was vaguely familiar. Where had he seen that piercing blue eye?

"That's Lucius Malfoy's son," the barman said to Tonks, narrowly.

"Yes," she said "This is Draco Malfoy. He's renounced the Dark Lord and come over to our side."

"Hmph," said the barman, looking doubtful. "You sure about that?"

"He's been working for me for months, Ab. He and Dudley here are the two best spies we've got."

The barman looked unconvinced.

"It's true," said Draco, looking at the strange man fiercely. "I'm with the Order now." His words echoed in the quiet bar. He felt naked, exposed, under the old man's glare.

"How can you prove it boy?" the barman said.

"I've no need to prove anything to you!" said Draco, growing hot. Dudley beside him glowered at the surly barman and looked suddenly menacing.

"Drop it, Ab," said Tonks firmly. "Draco is with me. I trust him."

"Who's this then?" said the man called Ab, turning his piercing gaze to Dudley. "I don't recognize him. He's no Hogwarts student."

Dudley stepped forward. "I'm Dudley Dursley," he said, his head held high. "I'm with the Order as well."

"Dursley," the old man said. "I know that name."

"He's Harry's cousin," said Tonks impatiently. "Can you let us through, Ab? There's a war on, you know."

The barman gave all three of them a very distrustful look, but at last he shrugged his shoulders. "Upstairs," he said. "Through the portrait hole. If you've made a mistake in judgement, it's on your head."

"I haven't," said Tonks. "Thanks, Ab," She leaned up and kissed the old man on the cheek as she passed him and his look suddenly softened.

Upstairs a portrait of a young girl hung open, revealing a stone passage behind it. Dudley grinned at Draco, gave him a thumbs up and climbed up onto the mantle and into the portrait hole. Draco followed grimly behind him.

*********

Sev stood at the mouth of the cave looking out at the glorious spring night. Remus was inside tending to Oakley. After a few minutes he came out and stood beside Sev. The stars were shining and the new leaves rustled gently on the trees. There were frogs singing into the warm night, calling frantically to each other in their furious drive to mate. It was a strange, high, otherworldly sound. Sev put his arms around Remus from behind and pulled him close, resting his chin on the top of his head. They stood there together, content, listening to the night sounds, their baby peacefully asleep inside the cave.

The owl came swooping through the moonlit forest towards them with a note in its beak. The writing was Draco's neat tight script "H. raided Gringotts and stole a dragon. The battle is joined at Hogwarts. D. and I are on our way. Hope the baby is okay."

********

Sev really didn't have a plan. All he could think to do was get his wand back, get Remus and Oakley to a safe place and join the battle. He sent the owl onwards to Aunt Pepper asking her to come meet them with the boat.