Third Moon

It was a long and annoying sort of day. First year potions, then thirds, then after lunch his double NEWT class. The first years were easy enough, he had them properly cowed, but Sev always found the third years trying. They were charged up on hormones, distracted by each other, and cocky enough to start to challenge his authority. He had to leave in the middle of class, returning quickly to his rooms through the deserted corridors, to add tincture of silver to the wolfsbane potion and stir widdershins a dozen times. He watched with satisfaction as the potion turned from clear blue to silvery green, and released its strange burnt chocolate smell, but by the time he got back to his classroom his armpits were soaked with sweat and the third years were passing notes and throwing spitballs. The hapless seventh year student he had left in charge was reading a book without concern. Although Sev used his best icy, scornful manner to restore order, the rest of the lesson went badly.

He spent his lunch hour in the Room of Requirement, sorting through the abandoned detritus of generations of Hogwarts students, looking for an appropriate set of chains. Then, on his way to grab some food before his next class, he was waylaid by Minerva, who signalled to him, with a raised eyebrow, that she wanted to talk to him.

They never talked in their offices, assuming they were magically bugged, but there was an abandoned fourth floor bathroom they used when they needed to confer. Sev gave her ten minutes lead and, giving up on any hope of food, hurried to their meeting spot.

Minerva cast Silencio wandlessly, then said, "It's the full moon tonight, Severus."

"I am aware," he said stiffly.

"Poppy told me of Remus'....condition."

"Yes, well, there's not much we can do about that. He refuses to terminate the pregnancy. Poppy is supposed to be consulting the male pregnancy expert at St. Mungo's but of course she needs to be discreet."

"He probably won't survive it, Severus."

"I know that," he said.

"You can't talk him out of it?"

"Why would he listen to me?"

"I don't know. I was hoping maybe you could talk some sense into him. But I suppose he's being stubborn."

"Indeed."

"And for tonight? What are you going to do with him?"

Sev opened his bag to show her the chains he had gathered. "My basement." he said. "The wolfsbane potion is brewing in my office. It's nearly done."

"You can keep him safe?"

Sev shrugged. "I can't keep him from miscarrying but I can keep him from biting Muggles on the streets of London."

"Perhaps we should move him," said Minerva, thoughtfully. "Somewhere more.....rural."

"It's fine," said Sev shortly. "I'm managing him."

Minerva looked at him sharply. "You're sure?" she asked.

"Yes."

                                                                                      *********

Lately he'd found his NEWT class challenging. He had known these students a long time. He'd gone to school with their parents. Favoritism and cruelty were his usual methods of running a classroom, but it was wearing him down. Neville Longbottom, with a black eye and a gash across his forehead sat in the back row and glared at him with hatred in his eyes. He was flanked on either side by Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown. Seamus Finnegan looked sullenly at the ground beside them.