Christmas Eve Part Three

Sev apparated to the alley behind Spinner's End. The lights of the town reflected off the snow, making the normally dark alley strangely bright. He looked about nervously, wondering if the house was being watched. If Wormtail had noticed a change in him, perhaps others had as well. He ducked quickly through the back garden gate and behind the wards.

Remus was at the kitchen table, asleep, his head on his folded arms. The overhead light was bright overhead. A cup of cold tea sat before him. He stirred when he heard Sev come in, raised his head, and his face broke into a smile.

Sev moved quickly until he had Remus' face between his hands, bending to kiss him, half sitting on his lap, his knee pressing between Remus' legs, desire and relief flooding through him so strongly he feared he might swoon. Remus was kissing him back with breathy, hard kisses, laughing between them with relief. Sev put his hand to Remus' belly and pressed in anxiously.

"Baby all right?" he asked.

"Fine," said Remus.

Sev's hand drifted lower, to where Remus wore an old pair of Sev's jeans, below the bump, unbuttoned and tied with string to hold them up.

"I.....I can't do them up any more," said Remus, looking suddenly self conscious. "Not the usual way."

Sev laughed. "We'll have to get you.... maternity trousers.......or something."

"Or something, yes," Remus agreed.

"A big tenty smock," said Sev.

"No," said Remus.

"Pink, I think, said Sev. "With ducks."

"Definitely no," said Remus.

"Maybe a bow?"

"Stop," said Remus, swatting at him and laughing. "Hungry?"

"Yes," said Sev. "I am. I've been looking forward to this meal all night. But you're distracting me from finishing taking off your jeans. It'd hardly be any effort."

"Not here, " said Remus. "Harry and Hermione are asleep in the parlour. And you look like you could do with some food."

"Food first, then sex?"

"All right," said Remus, smiling at him.

"An interesting arrangement," said Sev.

"It's called being in a relationship."

"Is that was this is?" asked Sev lightly.

But Remus was looking at him seriously, suddenly, not a trace of a smile on his face. "Yes," he said, and kissed him on the forehead. "That's what this is."

Sev found himself looking into those dead serious amber eyes and found he couldn't look away. He was suddenly aware of his breathing, and saw the rise and fall of Remus' chest in the quiet room. He felt a tugging at his heart, the familiar combination of hope and fear that had been his daily companions of late. "I like it," said Sev before he could think better of it. His arms went around Remus and their mouths met in a tender kiss, and then he wasn't afraid any more. "Let's eat," he said.

The meal, in fact, smelled delicious and Sev was starving. When Remus opened the oven the appetizing smell wafted out overpoweringly. He dished up two plates and they both tucked in. "I couldn't eat much before," Remus told Sev. "I was too worried."

While they ate, Sev told Remus of all that had happened. "That Kabbalistic sell was amazing," he said. "I've never felt anything like it. It was smokier, earthier, than normal magic."
'
"How did you manage to conjure the golem?" Remus wanted to know.